Tomcat in Air and Space Museum

Old October 24th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default Tomcat in Air and Space Museum

I was out at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space
Museum today (near Dulles airport) and saw their newest acquisition: an
F-14D Tomcat. This is one of the remanufactured F-14As, and it is one that
shot down a MiG in 1989.

Oddly, it does not have a MiG silhouette painted on it. Any idea why?

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Old October 25th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bob McKellar

"DDAY" wrote in message
link.net...
I was out at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space
Museum today (near Dulles airport) and saw their newest acquisition: an
F-14D Tomcat. This is one of the remanufactured F-14As, and it is one
that
shot down a MiG in 1989.

Oddly, it does not have a MiG silhouette painted on it. Any idea why?

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Due to the recent retirement of the type, things are very much in flux. For
example, Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston has been allocated one, but is
having trouble raising the money for transporting and preserving it.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/presf.htm (Scroll down)
http://www.f-14association.com/display.htm
http://www.tomcat-sunset/ (Link is intermittent - keep trying)

Bob McKellar

Old October 25th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Jeb Hoge

Bob McKellar wrote:
"DDAY" wrote in message
link.net...

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Due to the recent retirement of the type, things are very much in flux. For
example, Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston has been allocated one, but is
having trouble raising the money for transporting and preserving it.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/presf.htm (Scroll down)
http://www.f-14association.com/display.htm
http://www.tomcat-sunset/ (Link is intermittent - keep trying)

One is at the Virginia Aviation Museum at Richmond International
Airport, but I haven't actually seen the jet. It was flown there from
Oceana, though, so it's definitely on-site.

Old December 12th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Methos

"Jeb Hoge" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob McKellar wrote:
"DDAY" wrote in message
link.net...

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in

Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Due to the recent retirement of the type, things are very much in flux.

For
example, Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston has been allocated one,

but is
having trouble raising the money for transporting and preserving it.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/presf.htm (Scroll down)
http://www.f-14association.com/display.htm
http://www.tomcat-sunset/ (Link is intermittent - keep trying)

One is at the Virginia Aviation Museum at Richmond International
Airport, but I haven't actually seen the jet. It was flown there from
Oceana, though, so it's definitely on-site.

There is also one at a "warbird" museum in Florida, I forget
precisely where, believe it was near Daytona Beach. It was from
the JFK if I recall.

It was placed next to an old J-3 Cub or similar single seat
plane from that era - an interesting contrast to say the least.

Does anyone know what the procedure is to acquire a retired
Tomcat ? can i just open up my own warbird museum ? (and are
they de-milled ? if so, how ?)

Old December 12th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

DDAY wrote:
I was out at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space
Museum today (near Dulles airport) and saw their newest acquisition: an
F-14D Tomcat. This is one of the remanufactured F-14As, and it is one that
shot down a MiG in 1989.

Oddly, it does not have a MiG silhouette painted on it. Any idea why?

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Not a fan of the Turkey(I have over 1000 hrs in them), think they are
best when on a 'stick' somewhere....

Old December 13th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

wrote:
DDAY wrote:
I was out at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space
Museum today (near Dulles airport) and saw their newest acquisition: an
F-14D Tomcat. This is one of the remanufactured F-14As, and it is one that
shot down a MiG in 1989.

Oddly, it does not have a MiG silhouette painted on it. Any idea why?

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Not a fan of the Turkey(I have over 1000 hrs in them), think they are
best when on a 'stick' somewhere....

You prefer Bugs?? First time I have seen someone not like their a/c.
Personally, I hate the idea of an all- Effay Teen airwing - I keep
waiting to see one with a rotodome! I understand all the reasons why
it makes sense, but I just can't get over the decision to not re-wing
the Intruders to keep a true bomb-truck in the arsenal.

Were you flying them back when they were powered by the first anemic
firetrap engines? (That would certainly explain it)

Oh, and we have one of them at the Gillespie Field Annex to our San
Diego Air & Space Museum.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C)====
(my experience with the Turkey is participating in two at-sea rescues
in 1980, a Pukin Dawg and a Ghostrider).

Old December 13th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:
wrote:
DDAY wrote:
I was out at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space
Museum today (near Dulles airport) and saw their newest acquisition: an
F-14D Tomcat. This is one of the remanufactured F-14As, and it is one that
shot down a MiG in 1989.

Oddly, it does not have a MiG silhouette painted on it. Any idea why?

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

Not a fan of the Turkey(I have over 1000 hrs in them), think they are
best when on a 'stick' somewhere....

You prefer Bugs?? First time I have seen someone not like their a/c.

'My' aircraft was the F-4...

Personally, I hate the idea of an all- Effay Teen airwing - I keep
waiting to see one with a rotodome! I understand all the reasons why
it makes sense, but I just can't get over the decision to not re-wing
the Intruders to keep a true bomb-truck in the arsenal.

Were you flying them back when they were powered by the first anemic
firetrap engines? (That would certainly explain it)

I was flying them with the crappy flight controls, crappy engines,
crappy CADC...etc...
I flew the F-14A+ in VX-4..nice engines, crappy avionics. I saw the
F-14D...was in the planning for the cockpit...and it sucked compared to
the analog F-16N I flew...

Old December 13th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

In article . com,
wrote:

Gordon wrote:
wrote:
DDAY wrote:
[...]

unless you need to fire a missile...

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old December 14th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Harry Andreas wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Gordon wrote:
wrote:
DDAY wrote:
[...]

???Don't know what you mean? F-16N had all the plumbing for
Aim-9...even tho they were training aides only...just like the first
gen F-16....