Why Is the S-3 Viking Called a Hoover?

Old December 2nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Will Deatrick

Default Why Is the S-3 Viking Called a Hoover?

Because the unique sound made by the engines resembles a Hoover vacuum
cleaner to some. My wife and I were walking the beach near the Hotel
Del in 1998 when a Viking flew overhead on approach to NAS North
Island, San Diego. You can hear the strange sound in this video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRJfBW_GQI
Old December 2nd 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

Will Deatrick wrote:
Because the unique sound made by the engines resembles a Hoover vacuum
cleaner to some. My wife and I were walking the beach near the Hotel
Del in 1998 when a Viking flew overhead on approach to NAS North
Island, San Diego. You can hear the strange sound in this video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRJfBW_GQI

"Because the dirtbags are on the inside."

v/r Gordon
Formerly VS-31 Topcat

Old December 4th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Charlie Wolf

There's a secondary reason why it's lovingly referred to as a Hoover.

The ducted fan TF-34's are located very close to the deck. At full
power, they will suck just about any FOD into the duct. Just like a
vacuum cleaner.

However, the nickname came from the sound of the TF-34's on startup.
Regards,

Old December 8th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Will Deatrick

I've never heard the TF-34 starting up. Does it make that same
thrumming sound in the video, or is it a different sound altogether?

And thanks for the info on the engines being so close to the deck :-)

Will

Old December 9th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

WoooooooOOOOOOOOOP.........steady background thrum, repeat as
necessary

Old December 9th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

BTW, in two years in VS-31, we never FOD'd an engine due to debris
being sucked up into the intake. In fact, the S-3 had very few such
incidents over the years and far fewer than other a/c such as the A-7.
As a high bypass turbofan, the S-3 had far less suction than
turbojet-powered aircraft. I spent quite a bit of time between the
cats on the Eisenhower and some on the Midway and the supposition that
Vikings were more prone to FOD than other carrier aircraft is, no
offense, just plain wrong. The only reason the Vikings were called
Hoovers was that distinctive noise.

v/r
Gordon

Old December 11th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Charlie Wolf

Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I remember many incidents of
FOD'd engines on S-3's (I have 1600 hours in them). On one occasion,
we flew into Warminster PA and the engine got FOD on touch down on the
runway. By the time we taxied up to the hangar area, #1 was nearly
fully engulfed in flames. We came very near to a strike A/C on that
one. Riding in the back seats, I recall many instances of seeing
things sucked up at high power on the deck (including birds in
flight). I also saw many instances of damaged fan blades form FOD.

That being said, you are correct about one thing. Because the TF-34
is a high-bypass turbofan configuration, just because an object is
sucked into the fan duct, doesn't necessarily mean it will ingest in
the engine intake. That's the big difference between an S-3 and and
an A-7 sucking something up.
Regards,

Old December 11th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

Charlie Wolf wrote:
Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I remember many incidents of
FOD'd engines on S-3's (I have 1600 hours in them). On one occasion,
we flew into Warminster PA and the engine got FOD on touch down on the
runway. By the time we taxied up to the hangar area, #1 was nearly
fully engulfed in flames. We came very near to a strike A/C on that
one. Riding in the back seats, I recall many instances of seeing
things sucked up at high power on the deck (including birds in
flight). I also saw many instances of damaged fan blades form FOD.

Last thing I want to do is get in an argument with you, Charlie - and
you're right, we had fan damage on occasion that I should have
recalled. I never heard of that Warminster incident, sounds like you
had a wild ride! Glad you made it to share the story.

That being said, you are correct about one thing. Because the TF-34
is a high-bypass turbofan configuration, just because an object is
sucked into the fan duct, doesn't necessarily mean it will ingest in
the engine intake. That's the big difference between an S-3 and and
an A-7 sucking something up.

That's what I meant, without saying it well - sorry about that. The
actual intake on the TF 34 is pretty dang small in relation to the size
of that giant fan in front of it - there were certainly incidents of
the bypass fan getting dinged. I should have said it this way: in my
squadron, there were far less FOD incidents than the other squadrons on
Ike. Damage to the blades was never a good thing, but the TF 34 seemed
a lot more resistant to ingestion than the other types in service at
the time.

v/r Gordon

Bob Hoover gatt Piloting 2 March 11th 06 06:58 PM
Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager at the Soaring Convention? [email protected] Soaring 1 January 3rd 05 04:49 AM
Wallpaper - "S-3B Viking". T. & D. Gregor, Sr. Naval Aviation 0 August 31st 04 10:28 PM
Photo: An S-3B Viking, comes in for a sunset, arrested landing T. & D. Gregor, Sr. Simulators 0 August 31st 04 10:28 PM
Super Viking Manual Wanted Jerry Aviation Marketplace 0 August 12th 03 12:54 AM