Have there been any successful tip-jet helicopters?

Old July 26th 03, 05:08 AM
terra

David Lednicer wrote:
I got this when I tried to view it with Netscape 7.02, so I switched and
tried IE 6.0 and it worked.

Ah, another IE-only page. The site is busted, it relies on out-of-date javascript.

I viewed the Sud-Ouest SO.1221 Djinn at
http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/snias_jinn-r.html (thanks, Brantly Nut), and
deleted my helis.com bookmark.

Old July 26th 03, 11:14 PM
jorge

terra wrote in message ...
David Lednicer wrote:
I got this when I tried to view it with Netscape 7.02, so I switched and
tried IE 6.0 and it worked.

Ah, another IE-only page. The site is busted, it relies on out-of-date javascript.

I viewed the Sud-Ouest SO.1221 Djinn at
http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/snias_jinn-r.html (thanks, Brantly Nut), and
deleted my helis.com bookmark.

I didnt know this group was for rating sites ! :-)
Is not my fault if netscape versions are not backwards compatibles,
anyway, I just download, install and review NS7 and update the
scripts.
Hope its works fine now
Old July 27th 03, 07:00 AM
terra

jorge wrote:
terra wrote in message ...
David Lednicer wrote:
I got this when I tried to view it with Netscape 7.02, so I switched and
tried IE 6.0 and it worked.

Ah, another IE-only page. The site is busted, it relies on out-of-date javascript.

I viewed the Sud-Ouest SO.1221 Djinn at
http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/snias_jinn-r.html (thanks, Brantly Nut), and
deleted my helis.com bookmark.

I didnt know this group was for rating sites ! :-)

It's for bashing IE-only sites. If the trend continues, the web will be
accessible not just to IE users only, but to *Windows* users only. No Mac, and
no Linux.

Is not my fault if netscape versions are not backwards compatibles,

I don't know what you're saying here. Your script looked for Netscapes 4 and 6,
no awareness of 7.
So I fired up Netscape 4.79... and... the page didn't load at all! Nothing.
After I disabled Stylesheets it loaded, but then the links didn't work.

anyway, I just download, install and review NS7 and update the
scripts.
Hope its works fine now

Thank you! It works in 7, but not old 4.79, which is good enough.

BTW, AOL has recently closed up the Netscape shop, the company is out of
business, so you won't have to look for a Netscape 8 :-(
But... development on Mozilla continues :-)
It's the "same" browser, without the Netscape name in the identifier. There's a
family of other browsers also based on Mozilla: K-Meleon, Beonex, Firebird, IBM
Browser, etc. And then there's Opera. Will your site work with those? I think
the javascript is a bad idea.

Old July 28th 03, 05:28 PM
Rod Buck

In message , terra
writes
David Lednicer wrote:
I got this when I tried to view it with Netscape 7.02, so I switched and
tried IE 6.0 and it worked.

Ah, another IE-only page. The site is busted, it relies on out-of-date
javascript.

More likely that Netscape is busted, as it's riddled with
non-html4-compliant errors.

--
Rod Buck
Old July 29th 03, 03:27 AM
terra

Rod Buck wrote:

In message , terra
writes
David Lednicer wrote:
I got this when I tried to view it with Netscape 7.02, so I switched and
tried IE 6.0 and it worked.

Ah, another IE-only page. The site is busted, it relies on out-of-date
javascript.

More likely that Netscape is busted, as it's riddled with
non-html4-compliant errors.

No, Netscape 7 is the most standards-compliant browser out there by a long
stretch, as in 100% compliant. You're thinking of Netscape 4.

If you want to see a busted browser, go to
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...iral/demo.html with IE.
Or try any of the other demos listed at
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/index.html

Old July 30th 03, 09:07 PM
Rod Buck

No, Netscape 7 is the most standards-compliant browser out there by a long
stretch, as in 100% compliant. You're thinking of Netscape 4.

If you want to see a busted browser, go to
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...iral/demo.html with IE.
Or try any of the other demos listed at
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/index.html

True Netscape 4 was garbage, but I have little experience of Netscape 7
- didn't want to waste time finding out....

--
Rod Buck
Old July 31st 03, 03:40 AM
terra

Rod Buck wrote:

No, Netscape 7 is the most standards-compliant browser out there by a long
stretch, as in 100% compliant. You're thinking of Netscape 4.

If you want to see a busted browser, go to
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...iral/demo.html with IE.
Or try any of the other demos listed at
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/index.html

True Netscape 4 was garbage, but I have little experience of Netscape 7
- didn't want to waste time finding out....

You certainly shouldn't risk finding anything out.

Old August 1st 03, 05:14 AM
Dan & Jan Hollenbaugh

Ken's right - tip jet designs seem like a great idea - no transmission,
minimal antitorque (you still have a small amount of friction torque and you
have to have some form of yaw control) - but tip jet drive is incredibly
inefficient. I researched these a number of years ago, as a young engineer.
I remember a quote about the YH-32, to the effect that its major success was
it's ability to turn fuel into noise.

Dan Hollenbaugh

Ken Sandyeggo wrote in message
. ..

I think that the general concensus is that they all proved extremely
noisy and consumed an inordinate quantity of fuel, 2 factors that have
limited their success and further development.

Ken J. - Sandie A. Geaux

Old August 1st 03, 08:03 PM
Sla#s

"Dan & Jan Hollenbaugh" wrote in message
Ken's right - tip jet designs seem like a great idea - no transmission,
minimal antitorque (you still have a small amount of friction torque and

you
have to have some form of yaw control) - but tip jet drive is incredibly
inefficient. I researched these a number of years ago, as a young

engineer.
I remember a quote about the YH-32, to the effect that its major success

was
it's ability to turn fuel into noise.

The reason the British Rotordyne was finally scraped was because of the
noise problem.
Unfortunately government committees work so slowly that the problem was
almost solved before they finally scrapped it!
So it is possible to quieten tip jets down. I believe they did it by
changing the original round exits into long trailing edge slots.
http://www.asra.org.au/rotordyn.htm

Slatts