What video cameras are people using?

Old October 30th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics

Default What video cameras are people using?

For some odd reason I couldn't reply to the original post on this topic
so I apologize for the new thread.

I've wrestled with doing this for a bit and have a pretty easy
solution. I use two consumer grade video cameras mounted with Ram
Mount Systems (http://www.ram-mount.com) yoke clamp. One is forward
looking and the other looks out the left wing. For audio, I use an
intercom patch cord from Aircraft Spruce that plugs into the 'audio in'
on one of the video cameras. When ready, I press 'record' as close to
simultanous as possible then roll to knife edge quickly. Rolling helps
me sync them up later. Then I use Ulead VideoStudio 9.0 to place them
side by side, sync them up, trim beginning and end, add titles, etc.
The editing process takes me a few hours.

A word of caution... make sure the cameras are level and secure them
very, very well. The forward looking camera in this video tilted just
a bit during the flight. Also, notice that it looks like I pause at
the top of the loop. I don't. The camera moved slightly during the
transition from positive to negative G's. Tightening the clamps down,
and bracing the cameras if possible, will prevent that from happening.
I have a few videos where the setup worked flawlessly.... I just
haven't gotten around to editing them. I'll post them when done. In
the meantime, when I was practicing for the Nationals I would record my
flights to critique them later. Here's an example of one where the
camera is tilted and it 'paused' on top of the loop.

There are many very nice multi-channel recorders but they require semi
permanent mounting that I'm sure the owner of the plane I rent wouldn't
appreciate me doing. Just google 'multi channel recorders', you'll
find lots. I can mount and remove my two video cameras in less than
five minutes. If mounted properly they hold up well under 5G's.

These three links point to the same video. Some people have difficulty
with one or the other.

Remove the _delete_ in the link to view. If you can't see the video...
my alloted bandwidth is likely expended. Try again next month.

Try this first.
http://www.richard-mandel.com/Pra_de..._Nationals.htm

If that doesn't work, try this.
http://www.richard-mandel.com/Pra_de...tionals_lr.m3u

If that doesn't work, try this.
http://www.richard-mandel.com/Pra_de...tionals_lr.mpg

BTW - The video is to demonstrate recording techniques, -not- my
flying. It was a practice flight. I don't need anyone else judging
the flying.... the judges at the Nationals did plenty! Anyone who
criticizes the manuevers without posting a video of himself/herself
doing it better is a ******. :-)

Regards,

Richard Mandel