SR-71

Old April 21st 10, 03:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default SR-71

"Morgans" wrote in
I might then be able to imply that the later models were the ones that
need this feature.

Is that on the right track?

Photos of the Blackbird as early as 1979 & 1980 show the ECM dents

Old April 22nd 10, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
"Morgans" wrote in
I might then be able to imply that the later models were the ones that
need this feature.

Is that on the right track?

Photos of the Blackbird as early as 1979 & 1980 show the ECM dents

I guess for a plane as old as the SR-71, that qualifies as relatively
recent.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 22nd 10, 07:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:41:09 -0500, John Szalay
wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in
I might then be able to imply that the later models were the ones that
need this feature.

Is that on the right track?

Photos of the Blackbird as early as 1979 & 1980 show the ECM dents

Interesting thread. The Blackbird that displayed at Abbotsford in
1986 appears not to have had them.

Bob ^,,^

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR-71A_9SW_YXX_8-86_1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	42195  Click image for larger version

Name:	SR-71A_9SW_YXX_8-86_4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	42196
Old April 22nd 10, 02:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

news
wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in
I might then be able to imply that the later models were the ones that
need this feature.

Is that on the right track?

Photos of the Blackbird as early as 1979 & 1980 show the ECM dents

Interesting thread. The Blackbird that displayed at Abbotsford in
1986 appears not to have had them.

Bob ^,,^

Hey! I resemble that remark! I was at Abbotsford in 1986 and got this shot
of the SR-71 on the ground. I also don't remember seeing any indentations on
the nose. The chines were smooth and uniform all the way around the
aircraft.

Here are two of my shots....

ENJOY!

Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR-71.2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	42197  Click image for larger version

Name:	SR-71.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	42198
Old April 23rd 10, 12:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in
I might then be able to imply that the later models were the ones that
need this feature.

Is that on the right track?

Photos of the Blackbird as early as 1979 & 1980 show the ECM dents

Interesting thread. The Blackbird that displayed at Abbotsford in
1986 appears not to have had them.

Bob ^,,^

Hey! I resemble that remark! I was at Abbotsford in 1986 and got this shot
of the SR-71 on the ground. I also don't remember seeing any indentations on
the nose. The chines were smooth and uniform all the way around the
aircraft.

Here are two of my shots....

ENJOY!

Nick

Small world. Well, at least it seems smaller than when I was a kid...
All them volcanoes are letting the air out!

Bob ^,,^
Old April 23rd 10, 02:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Canuck" wrote in
:

Photos of the Blackbird as early as 1979 & 1980 show the ECM dents

Interesting thread. The Blackbird that displayed at Abbotsford in
1986 appears not to have had them.

Bob ^,,^

Hey! I resemble that remark! I was at Abbotsford in 1986 and got this
shot of the SR-71 on the ground. I also don't remember seeing any
indentations on the nose. The chines were smooth and uniform all the
way around the aircraft.

Here are two of my shots....

thanks for the photos.

IMHO:
Looked at the video of the 86 show and the color of the nose paint is
different from the rest of the aircraft. ( not as faded) since the nose of
the Blackbird is interchanegable, and the show was just up the coast from
Beale, I suspect they put a plain nose on for the show, no need for the ECM
nose for what would be considered a training or domestic flight..
just my opinion , of course...
Old April 23rd 10, 06:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...

Hey! I resemble that remark! I was at Abbotsford in 1986 and got this
shot of the SR-71 on the ground. I also don't remember seeing any
indentations on the nose. The chines were smooth and uniform all the
way around the aircraft.

Here are two of my shots....

thanks for the photos.

IMHO:
Looked at the video of the 86 show and the color of the nose paint is
different from the rest of the aircraft. ( not as faded) since the nose of
the Blackbird is interchanegable, and the show was just up the coast from
Beale, I suspect they put a plain nose on for the show, no need for the
ECM
nose for what would be considered a training or domestic flight..
just my opinion , of course...

Glad you liked the shots. Thanks for explaining this. I know a bit about the
aircraft but have not read up on it as extensively as you have. I guess
having an interchangeable nose depending on the mission was a great asset to
have. It makes me wonder what there is flying around now since the SR-71 has
been retired. Satellites are not as flexible in giving you the information
you need at exactly the moment you need it. Some manner of surveillance
aircraft beyond the capabilities of the SR-71 must exist. I just wonder how
long it will be before we ever learn of it. I've heard and read the rumors
about the Aurora but so far no one has managed to bag the beast.

Nick

Old April 23rd 10, 06:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message

Hey! I resemble that remark! I was at Abbotsford in 1986 and got this shot
of the SR-71 on the ground. I also don't remember seeing any indentations
on
the nose. The chines were smooth and uniform all the way around the
aircraft.

Here are two of my shots....

ENJOY!

Nick

Small world. Well, at least it seems smaller than when I was a kid...
All them volcanoes are letting the air out!

Bob ^,,^

LOL! I guess the earth is full of beans....

Yes, it is a smaller world. Isn't it neat the way the Internet can bring
people together that have common interests but might never have met
otherwise?

I think you mentioned that you were out in the Seattle/Vancouver area. I
have friends out in Vancouver and I was thinking of visiting them later this
summer and heading out to Abbotsford at the same time. In fact, I was
thinking of making it an aviation pig out and going to Seattle for Seafair
and seeing Boeing and the Museum of Flight first. Any interest in playing
tour guide?

Take care,

Nick

Old May 25th 10, 05:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Al[_3_]

When I was stationed at Greenham Common AB we had an IAT one year.
They brought an SR-71 in, the peace-campers that were camped outside
the gate got onto the field somehow and spray paintedo ne of the
panels of the aircraft. It cost many thousands of dollars to replace
the panel.
When the plane departed, it took off, did a nice slow circle around
the field, came in super low, then hit full power as it was directly
over their encampment kissed the sky. Meanwhile, the entire camp was
blown against the fenceline f the base, anything plastic, tents, etc,
was melted. It was a beautiful thing.
This was during the 1982-1985 time frame.
I wish I could find my pictures.
Just thought you'd all be interested in a little war story and a
laugh.

Al