Drone Hits Car Head On

Old January 1st 16, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Drone Hits Car Head On

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Drone-Hits-Car-Head-On-225452-1.html

Drone Hits Car Head On
By Russ Niles

Police in Belleville, Ontario, said Tuesday they can't find any laws to apply
against the operator of a drone that was in a head-on collision with a car last
Monday. The aircraft hit the grill of the vehicle, which was traveling on a
country road, and caused about $1,000 in damage. There were no injuries. The
aircraft appears to have been operated legally under Transport Canada's rules,
too. The operator was found but Belleville Police Sgt. Kosta Brindakis told the
CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/belleville-drone-vs-vehicle-crash-probably-won-t-be-the-last-police-1.3383325
that there was no legal recourse for police. "Quite honestly, we're not sure
what may apply," he said.

Highway laws don't apply and the collision was an accident so sections of
Canadian law dealing with vandalism and mischief didn't work either. However,
he said civil action could result. Brindakis suggested lawmakers will have to
address this sort of mishap sooner rather than later. "It's the first [drone
vs. vehicle crash] I've heard of — and it probably won't be the last,"
Brindakis said. "It's not a specific big problem right now, but there's all
kinds of scenarios that could come up."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/belleville-drone-vs-vehicle-crash-probably-won-t-be-the-last-police-1.3383325

Belleville drone vs. vehicle crash 'probably won't be the last': police
No charges laid, as police express puzzlement over what might apply
CBC News Posted: Dec 29, 2015 3:13 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 29, 2015 4:11 PM ET

As drones become more popular and affordable, Canada and other jurisdictions
are working on developing stricter regulations to fill legal gaps surrounding
safety and privacy. (Associated Press)

Getting a drone for Christmas? What you need to know
Drones get more popular, and the rules are getting stricter
Drone aids Renfrew paramedics in life-threatening situations
Police in Belleville, Ont., are warning drivers that drones could become a
growing hazard on the road after one of the airborne devices crashed into the
grille of a moving vehicle on Monday morning, causing $1,000 in damage to it.

Sgt. Kosta Brindakis told CBC News the privately owned drone crashed head-on
into a westbound vehicle on Old Madoc Road around 10:30 a.m. No one was
injured.

"It's the first [drone vs. vehicle crash] I've heard of — and it probably won't
be the last," Brindakis said.

"It's not a specific big problem right now, but there's all kinds of scenarios
that could come up."

Police found the owner of the drone, but do not plan to lay any charges, in
part because the scenario is so novel, Brindakis said.

"Quite honestly, we're not sure what may apply," he said.

Police ruled out a charge under the Highway Traffic Act, and decided a criminal
mischief charge did not apply in this case because the crash was not
intentional, Brindakis said.

"From my understanding, it was an accident — that's why no charges were laid,"
he said, adding that the owner of the drone could face civil action.

More regulations coming

As drones become more popular and affordable, Canada and other jurisdictions
are working on developing stricter regulations to fill legal gaps surrounding
safety and privacy.

"The whole drone issue opens up a whole slew of various scenarios," Brindakis
said. "I think, in the future, you'll see more issues arising with drones, for
sure."

With CFB Trenton on the border of Belleville, Brindakis said, residents have to
be especially careful about avoiding the flight paths of military planes.

Transport Canada, which regulates recreational drone use, recommends flying
drones at least nine kilometres away from airports, no higher than 90 metres
above the ground and at least 150 metres away from people, buildings and
vehicles.

Users must apply for a special certificate to fly drones that weigh more than
35 kilograms.

whoelsale bose head phones,wireless head phones,wireless headphone,3.5mm earphone,earphone Alex[_4_] Aerobatics 0 April 21st 08 03:35 PM
Why we say HITS jsmith Piloting 1 April 18th 05 09:24 PM
60.000 hits and growimg ArtKramr Military Aviation 2 September 15th 04 07:29 AM
Over 50,000 hits. Thank you all. ArtKramr Military Aviation 13 April 10th 04 04:26 AM
40,000 Plus Hits. Thank you all. ArtKramr Military Aviation 125 November 4th 03 04:40 PM