Blue Angels Show

Old September 6th 04, 04:55 PM
ramrod48

Default Blue Angels Show

The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
"high show" until next year.

Any other facts or opinions?
Old September 6th 04, 05:05 PM
Bob Coe

"ramrod48" wrote
The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
"high show" until next year.

Any other facts or opinions?

Probably a flight restriction due to dense air traffic.

Old September 6th 04, 10:57 PM
Larry

"ramrod48" wrote in message
om...
The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
"high show" until next year.

Any other facts or opinions?

They did the high show in Seattle.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'
20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end
AND safely home again!

Old September 7th 04, 12:51 AM
ramrod48

"Bob Coe" wrote in message news:PU%_c.18835$ni.5116@okepread01...
"ramrod48" wrote
The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
"high show" until next year.

Any other facts or opinions?

Probably a flight restriction due to dense air traffic.

Actually, STL commercial flight traffic is down significantly --
American Airlines whacked 50% of their flights on November 1, 2003 and
downgraded many other flights to commuter jets.
Old September 7th 04, 01:48 AM
Frijoles

When I was there in '91 they capped altitude based on commercial traffic at
a given time of the day.

Old September 7th 04, 03:46 AM
MLenoch

At SUS (Spirt of St. Louis Airport) the "altitude capped", or rather the low
show was flown because there were some clouds in the area. They need a
perfectly clear sky in order to fly the high show. The F-15 demo could not fly
all the high show maneuvers also; He dropped the Cuban 8s when lower clouds
entered his demo box.
VL
Old September 7th 04, 10:01 PM
John Doe

Nah, I've seen their full show in April....which was well after the T-bird
crash.

It is probably more to do with pilot proficiency.

om...