Throw a Weight in the Back?

Old July 22nd 03, 10:02 PM
Lou Ramsay

Todd Pattist wrote:

"Kirk" wrote:

Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight and
balance?

I have a small tank in the base of my glider fin. I fill it
with water when needed to get the W&B correct.

When ferrying the Lockheed L1649, we used to have to
load 4000 pounds of water in 55 gallon drums AFT of
the rear cabin door. Without that weight in the tail
and a hydraulic boost failure, you couldn't get the
nose high enough, or tail low enough, to keep from
landing on the nosegay first.

Lou.
Old July 22nd 03, 10:05 PM
Ross Richardson

Why not? I sure was able to read it better?

Montblack wrote:

(Kirk wrote)
Testing HTML format....

As your return e-mail address says - "No Thanks"

Please do not post HTML to this newsgroup. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Thank you.

--
Montblack

Old July 22nd 03, 10:55 PM
Al Gerharter

Sure, do it. It'll fly better. The old turbo 206 I flew had the same
problem, and just a little weight aft sure helped. Walmart sells 5 gallon
foldable plastic containers for about 3 bucks. It'll put 40 lbs where you
want it, is easily desposed of, and if you park short of the airport, you'll
have 5 gallons of drinking water. Al Gerharter

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight

and
balance?

Never done it, but I've read of cases. I've considered doing it myself

make my Maule a bit less squirrelly. Shouldn't be a problem.

Weight in the back (rearward cg) will tend to make an a/c squirrelly. A
more forward cg makes it more brick-like. Flying with 4 and baggage and
almost full fuel (gotta love it), I have to aggressively move baggage
forward to get it inbounds (flt bag underneath front passengers knees,

small
dense items underneath rear seat, rear seat passengers may have a light

item
on their laps or around feet). At the rear limit, it definitely gets
squirrelly. Feels unstable. Hunts a bit in pitch. Very sensitive on the
controls.

But it is nicer to fly just inside that rear limit.

Old July 22nd 03, 11:16 PM
blanche cohen

I got one of those 8 gallon (7?) blue plastic tanks from the
sporting goods store for water on camping trips. Filled it with
water, about 50 pounds worth. It's strapped down in the baggage
area and is perfect ballast. Plus, living out in the desert
area, most convenient if something goes wrong and I need to land.

Old July 22nd 03, 11:24 PM
JerryK

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
Why not? I sure was able to read it better?

Same here. It was actually kind of a pretty table.

Old July 22nd 03, 11:27 PM
Maule Driver

What is the problem with HTML? Is it that various reader programs don't
support it? Or service providers that don't support? Looked great on my
screen - MS Outlook Express and Roadrunner

.. .

Old July 23rd 03, 12:25 AM
MikeM

Kirk wrote:

Just a guess, but I am probably carrying about 138 more pounds in the fuel
tanks than the 182L (65 gallon tanks?). This aircraft is a 1979 Cessna 182Q
with 88 gallons of useable fuel. Thanks for eveyones feedback!

I have 79 gal (long range tanks) in the L model.

I have flown several Q models owned by the CAP, and they make us work
the W&B before each flight. I still dont remember that any of them were
close to the front limit even with two lard asses in the front.
(Takes one to know one: I'm 210#)

I'm still suspicious of your numbers.
Perhaps the empty weight and moment on your Q got messed up somewhere
along the inevitable added/removed chain.

MikeM
Skylane '1MM
Old July 23rd 03, 12:29 AM
Lou Ramsay

Lou Ramsay wrote:

Todd Pattist wrote:

"Kirk" wrote:

Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight and
balance?

I have a small tank in the base of my glider fin. I fill it
with water when needed to get the W&B correct.

When ferrying the Lockheed L1649, we used to have to
load 4000 pounds of water in 55 gallon drums AFT of
the rear cabin door. Without that weight in the tail
and a hydraulic boost failure, you couldn't get the
nose high enough, or tail low enough, to keep from
landing on the nosegay first.

Lou.

Sorry about the mistake - meant "nosegear".

Old July 23rd 03, 02:37 AM
Rick Durden

Kirk,

Sounds like you have an extra nose heavy 182, but that happens from
time to time. With fuel burn on that airplane the c.g. does not move
much during flight, so it's time for uou to toss some weight aft
(which will also make the airplane faster in cruise.) If you have a
heavy flight case, as many pilots do, strapping it into one of the
rear seats may take care of it for you.

When I flew freight in the Cessna 404 the airplane was out of c.g.
forward with just a pilot aboard, so I carried two collapsible, five
gallon water jugs. When the airplane was empty I filled up the jugs
(there's always a spigot somewhere on the airport) and put them under
the baggage net in the back end of the airplane. Once I got the
freight, if it took me to gross, I dumped the water. Otherwise I just
moved the jugs forward if needed to keep the c.g. from going out the
aft end if I knew I had another empty leg coming up.

I've still got the jugs and use them for camping trips, but haven't
flown an airplane in quite a while in which I needed them for c.g.
adjustment.

All the best,
Rick

"Kirk" wrote in message ...
Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight and
balance? I am flying a C182 with 430 pounds (pilot & passenger) in the
front row. The point is I would like both of us to sit up front for the
flight. I have other aircraft that I can fly, and this is not a required
flight (no safety flaming please).

Calculated arm is 37.99, and minimum arm at that weight is 38.15. I am
144.85 pounds UNDER gross weight at this point.

If I throw a 20 pound weight in the main baggage compartment the arm is 38.4
(meets the minimum requirements) and we can both sit up front.