Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

Old July 23rd 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
cavelamb[_2_]

Default Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

I'm trolling?
LOL!

Bye now...
Old July 23rd 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

usenet jac.users.panix.com (John Clear) wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? How does
aircraft takeoff thrust compare to using a conventional motor
and wheel to push oneself along the ground? What sort of
incline would be achievable at say a skater weight of about 160
pounds? I think the rolling resistance can be assumed to be
zero or maybe the same as a small aircraft.

Years ago (maybe late 1990s) one of those 'whacky invention'
type TV shows featured a guy with jet engines mounted on the
tails of his skis. No need for a chair lift, he'd just ski
uphill.

Inline skating is like a combination of different sports,
including skiing. One unique difference is that in-line skating
requires man-made terrain.

So it has been done, just make sure your life insurance is paid
up.

If you wear lots of protective gear and consider the risks, safety
should not be a concern. On TV, you see skaters and cyclists who
do not wear protective gear, apparently many people enjoy seeing
the accidents, but I just change the channel. Carelessly riding
a large displacement motorcycle years ago makes anything I do now
days pale in comparison. This

Still researching the issue, but by the lack of detailed comment,
I get the impression that propeller power is nowhere near
efficient as conventional motor and wheel on the ground
propulsion. That is the question.
--

John

Old July 23rd 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe[_4_]

cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:

I'm trolling?

Or just babbling.

LOL!

"There is someone in my head but it's not me... la la la"

Safety depends on how a device is used. And then there is the fact
that an unbuilt device poses no safety risk whatsoever. A
thoughtful person might consider the possibility of others reading
without being cautious, but how is that a concern when you are
talking about building something.
--

Bye now...

Old July 23rd 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Just babbling...

Look up gyroscopic precession - torque induced.

Might also consider tip speeds, and what happens when props
contact things...

Oh, and just on a hunch, I've removed Free.usenet group.

John Doe wrote:
cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:

I'm trolling?

Or just babbling.

LOL!

"There is someone in my head but it's not me... la la la"

Safety depends on how a device is used. And then there is the fact
that an unbuilt device poses no safety risk whatsoever. A
thoughtful person might consider the possibility of others reading
without being cautious, but how is that a concern when you are
talking about building something.

--

Richard Lamb

Old July 23rd 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe[_4_]

cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:

Just babbling...

Look up gyroscopic precession - torque induced.

Might also consider tip speeds, and what happens when props
contact things...

So put a cage around it. That is what the example from Australia
does.

But seriously. A sixth grader could figure out that one.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:34:31 -0500
From: cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Subject: Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?
References: 4c479785$0$4752$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com l6OdnXpB6OmOPNrRnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d giganews.com o_r_fairbairn-E87157.23144421072010 70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net 4c47bb7a$0$8726$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com _qednaqEVc1sIdrRnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d earthlink.com obadnZyJBemBXdrRnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d giganews.com 4c47c204$0$9831$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com 4c4827f6$0$14497$afc38c87 news.optusnet.com.au Xns9DBD59E431D62jyaniklocalnetcom 216.168.3.44 12d84862-6957-4c46-9aee-2701863013ba l14g2000yql.googlegroups.com 4c48a6f2$0$21146$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com esWdnY4-doRSXtXRnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d earthlink.com 4c48c8c8$0$4841$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com RO6dneSupL7bR9XRnZ2dnUVZ_qWonZ2d earthlink.com 4c48e2a9$0$13681$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com

Old July 23rd 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
cavelamb[_2_]

John Doe wrote:
cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:

Just babbling...

Look up gyroscopic precession - torque induced.

Might also consider tip speeds, and what happens when props
contact things...

So put a cage around it. That is what the example from Australia
does.

But seriously. A sixth grader could figure out that one.

And the precession?

--

Richard Lamb

Old July 23rd 10, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe[_4_]

John Doe wrote:
cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:

Just babbling...

Look up gyroscopic precession - torque induced.

Might also consider tip speeds, and what happens when props
contact things...

So put a cage around it. That is what the example from Australia
does.

But seriously. A sixth grader could figure out that one.

And the precession?

There are dozens of paragliding videos on YouTube using a backpack
propeller. Let me know if you see any evidence of that.
Old July 23rd 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

No that is the answer.

Keith

Old July 23rd 10, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Giles Ayling

On 23/07/2010 09:01, Keith Willshaw wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Jet / Propellor / rubber band. It doesnt mallet what the power supply is.

Work out where the center of thrust/pull is - Probably if on a skater
approx 1.2metres up.

When the skater hit a bump to large for the front to quickly rise over,
the skater kisses the ground.

Think water skiing - It is a challenge to get up o the skiis, and then
the second you relax, and let the ski dig it, you are in the water

Old July 23rd 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Giles Ayling giles tvp.ltd.uk wrote:

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message

I get the impression that propeller power is nowhere near
efficient as conventional motor and wheel on the ground
propulsion. That is the question.

No that is the answer.

Jet / Propellor / rubber band. It doesnt mallet what the power
supply is.

Are you using speech recognition? Or were you drunk?
Just curious.

Work out where the center of thrust/pull is - Probably if on a
skater approx 1.2metres up.

When the skater hit a bump to large for the front to quickly
rise over, the skater kisses the ground.

Skating is extremely flexible. One way to cope is to step over the
obstacle. Another way is by keeping your weight on your rear
wheels. And yet another way to cope with larger obstacles is
called "scissoring". And of course you can do stuff in
combination. If none of the above works, when you hit a bump that
radically slows one skate, you can quickly put all of your weight
on the other skate and simultaneously steer inwards with that good
skate to maintain your balance. You learn to do that stuff without
thinking.

But, coincidentally, large unexpected obstacles is exactly why I
made big front wheel skates, a 140 mm front wheel with 80 mm
trailing wheels. Love them and use them for rough street skating
regularly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/3056505603/

By the way... If anyone here (young enough to run or at least to
remember doing fun things) has never heard of "powered
paragliding", check it out! It is (lighter than) ultra light
powered flight. Amazing stuff IMO. Dozens of videos on YouTube.
--

Think water skiing - It is a challenge to get up o the skiis, and then
the second you relax, and let the ski dig it, you are in the water

Just push the blue button! Darkwing Piloting 71 October 20th 08 04:12 PM
PUSH START stanley adelson Aviation Photos 0 July 15th 08 01:16 AM
Push to Talk Switch Jackal24 Piloting 23 December 26th 04 10:01 PM
Question about center-line push-pull engine configuration Shin Gou Home Built 4 June 7th 04 05:57 PM
Young Eagles push (USA) John H. Campbell Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 03:48 PM