painted airtight window screen as a "surface"

Old February 13th 05, 12:25 AM
Allan Morrison

Default painted airtight window screen as a "surface"

Anybody tried to use painted airtight windowscreen(fiberglass or
nylon?)as a flat surface covering material?

I have looked at (via google) various aircraft covering materials(some
brandname)and am not impressed with their costs, their "painting"
requirements (labor+++), their mechanical toughness or their local
availability.

After installation probably two coats of paint would provide an
airtight surface

OR

the window screen could be painted on a flat polyethylene surface, let
dry and then installed.

Since the screen is so thin, two layers (one grid oriented 45 degrees
to the other) would provide a very strong and tough surface.

Any opinions? TIA.
Old February 16th 05, 12:55 AM
Charlie

Allan Morrison wrote:
Anybody tried to use painted airtight windowscreen(fiberglass or
nylon?)as a flat surface covering material?

I have looked at (via google) various aircraft covering materials(some
brandname)and am not impressed with their costs, their "painting"
requirements (labor+++), their mechanical toughness or their local
availability.

After installation probably two coats of paint would provide an
airtight surface

OR

the window screen could be painted on a flat polyethylene surface, let
dry and then installed.

Since the screen is so thin, two layers (one grid oriented 45 degrees
to the other) would provide a very strong and tough surface.

Any opinions? TIA.

1 extremely unlikely that window screen is as strong per pound as
typical a/c covering

2 totally unknown quality control of the screen

3 enough paint to fill the openings in a screen that's designed to pass
air is going to be very heavy

Tedlar (sp?), a more or less UV proof plastic sheet, was used to cover
some ultralites a couple of decades ago.

if weight is no object, Tyvek house wrap looks interesting but if you
intend to put humans in the plane you didn't hear that here.
Old February 16th 05, 01:18 AM
Morgans

"Charlie" wrote

if weight is no object, Tyvek house wrap looks interesting but if you
intend to put humans in the plane you didn't hear that here.

Tyvek does not hold up to UV indefinitely, and would need further UV
protection. I wouldn't trust my golden butt in it.

Now, someone will pipe up and say that it has been done. Fine, but not by
me.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 19th 05, 03:40 AM
Charlie

Morgans wrote:
"Charlie" wrote

if weight is no object, Tyvek house wrap looks interesting but if you
intend to put humans in the plane you didn't hear that here.

Tyvek does not hold up to UV indefinitely, and would need further UV
protection. I wouldn't trust my golden butt in it.

Now, someone will pipe up and say that it has been done. Fine, but not by
me.

Uhhhh... that's what I was trying to say. Perhaps I was too subtle.

"if you intend to put humans in the plane you didn't hear that here."

BTW, none of the certified a/c fabrics will stand up to uv either unless
they are properly protected.

Charlie