Take-upReels on Towplanes

Old April 13th 04, 08:22 PM
Nyal Williams

Default Take-upReels on Towplanes

This subject has come up once again in our club. You might have
answered this question for me a year ago, but I have lost the info and
I want to quote someone's facts and figures. What is the downside,
other than cost, in using such a device?
Old April 14th 04, 12:42 AM
JJ Sinclair

Nyal wrote.What is the downside,
other than cost, in using such a device?

Don't know of a down side, Nyle, but I know of a great big Positive side. I
watched a tow rope catch the wing tip of a glider waiting to launch. Spun it
around and the wing hit the pilot in the back. Only reason this pilot wasn't
killed was because she was wearing a parachute which took the impact. Dangling
ropes are dangerous. All the FBO's where I fly use take-up reels.
JJ Sinclair

Old April 14th 04, 02:36 PM
JJ Sinclair

why was the pilot landing so close to a parked glider?

We were at the end of the runway, waiting out turn to be towed. We were off to
the side, in the turn-around area, but too close to a dangling tow rope. No
other place to go. A take-up reel would have prevented it.
JJ Sinclair
Old April 14th 04, 03:44 PM
Roger Kelly

"BTIZ" wrote in

why was the pilot landing so close to a parked glider?

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Nyal wrote.What is the downside,
other than cost, in using such a device?

Don't know of a down side, Nyle, but I know of a great big Positive
side.

watched a tow rope catch the wing tip of a glider waiting to launch.
Spun

it
around and the wing hit the pilot in the back. Only reason this pilot

wasn't
killed was because she was wearing a parachute which took the impact.

Dangling
ropes are dangerous. All the FBO's where I fly use take-up reels.
JJ Sinclair

Don't know about this incident, but one time while landing the tow plane I
made my approach too low and sent the other club members scurrying from the
oncoming rope. I didn't consider the cross-wind's effect on the tow rope.

--
Roger Kelly
to reply replace the IP address above with pyramidlife.com

Old April 14th 04, 03:59 PM
Tony Verhulst

....What is the downside,
other than cost, in using such a device?

When the line is payed out, it's difficult to inspect the last 10 feet
of rope where it goes into the fuselage. We (Greater Boston Soaring
Club) had a break there once. We now have a regular inspection process
where the access panels are removed.

Tony V.

--

All good things arrive unto them that wait -
and don't die in the meantime.

Mark Twain

Old April 15th 04, 01:05 AM
BTIZ

why was the pilot landing so close to a parked glider?

We were at the end of the runway, waiting out turn to be towed. We were

off to
the side, in the turn-around area, but too close to a dangling tow rope.

No
other place to go. A take-up reel would have prevented it.
JJ Sinclair

So would honoring FAA designated hold lines, or the equivalent if not
marked.
BT

Old April 19th 04, 06:53 AM
roger druce

From a non-tug pilot saiplane pilot:

I can see the advantages of a take up reel that retracts the tow rope after
release so it is stowed on board for descent and landing.

However with the tow rope retracted, is there a higher incidence of ground
loops on landing, say due to difficult crosswinds, where the presence of tow
rope drag along the ground would have been useful in stabilising the
aircraft directionally? Perhaps one of the experienced Pawnee tug pilots
out there may have some view on this.

Regards
Roger Druce

om...

Old April 21st 04, 12:39 AM
BTIZ

unless the rope was snagged on something.. I don't think its enough drag to
slow down a ground loop...

Pawnee Tow Pilot and not ground looped... yet..
BT

"roger druce" wrote in message
. ..
From a non-tug pilot saiplane pilot: