Girl Scouts and aviation??

Old March 20th 05, 09:51 PM
Montblack

Default Girl Scouts and aviation??

Over the years I've seen a few Cub Scout / aviation posts on these
newsgroups. I do not recall seeing similar Girl Scout / aviation posts.

Anyone out there have any Girl Scout / aviation stories or experiences?

At our airport, again over the years, I've seen Boy Scout groups around but
no Girl Scouts. Maybe they've been around and I missed them?

Young Eagles weekends at our airport is a different matter, equal number of
boys and girls show up.

Montblack

Old March 20th 05, 10:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Anyone out there have any Girl Scout / aviation stories or experiences?

At our airport, again over the years, I've seen Boy Scout groups around
but no Girl Scouts. Maybe they've been around and I missed them?

It is in the Girl Scout manual that the girls are NOT permitted to fly in
private planes -- period, end of story.

Mary took this ridiculous rule to the highest levels of Girl Scouting, and
was rebuffed at every level. They just regard it as a recklessly dangerous
activity, and will not allow it to be done under their auspices.

Which is one major reason why Mary has disbanded her Girl Scout
troop/den/whatever this year.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 21st 05, 12:15 AM
Blueskies

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:vpm%d.88814$r55.37719@attbi_s52...
Anyone out there have any Girl Scout / aviation stories or experiences?

At our airport, again over the years, I've seen Boy Scout groups around but no Girl Scouts. Maybe they've been around
and I missed them?

It is in the Girl Scout manual that the girls are NOT permitted to fly in private planes -- period, end of story.

Mary took this ridiculous rule to the highest levels of Girl Scouting, and was rebuffed at every level. They just
regard it as a recklessly dangerous activity, and will not allow it to be done under their auspices.

Which is one major reason why Mary has disbanded her Girl Scout troop/den/whatever this year.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Hmmm, we had many, many Girl Scouts show up at the Young Eagles rally here a while back. There is a aviation (or
aerospace) badge they can get.

Old March 21st 05, 12:32 AM
Steven Barnes

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

Hmmm, we had many, many Girl Scouts show up at the Young Eagles rally here

a while back. There is a aviation (or
aerospace) badge they can get.

Interesting. My ex-wife is leader of my daughter's brownie troop. I would
love nothing more, than to give a little talk about aviation during a field
trip to the airport. Let the girls see/touch/sit in the plane. Hadn't
considered any rides, due to too many nervous moms to deal with. I wasn't
sure where to even look up any info on how to make a proper presentation. I
would never have thought some manual would prohibit it.

Weird.

Old March 21st 05, 02:04 AM
David Kazdan

My department's administrative assistant is a Girl Scout troop leader.
When I offered Young Eagle rides to her troop last summer, she said
exactly what is described here--anything having to do with airplanes is
all right except actually flying in them (I'll assume that taxiing is a
problem, too). She said a trip to the airport with them sitting in the
plane was fine.

The whole thing rather turned me off. I got them model airplane kits
instead. I do buy their cookies.

David

Steven Barnes wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

. com...

Old March 21st 05, 02:11 AM
Kyle Boatright

major snip

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
om...
"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

Hmmm, we had many, many Girl Scouts show up at the Young Eagles rally
here

a while back. There is a aviation (or
aerospace) badge they can get.

Interesting. My ex-wife is leader of my daughter's brownie troop. I would
love nothing more, than to give a little talk about aviation during a
field
trip to the airport. Let the girls see/touch/sit in the plane. Hadn't
considered any rides, due to too many nervous moms to deal with. I wasn't
sure where to even look up any info on how to make a proper presentation.
would never have thought some manual would prohibit it.

Weird.

We've faced a similar problem with Boy Scouts. They are not allowed to fly
in EXPERIMENTAL aircraft. Makes it tough when the EAA chapter is giving the
rides, and huge surprise!! most of the aircraft are Experimental. We've
started telling Scout groups that their members are welcome to come fly at
Young Eagle events, but not to do it as part of an official scout activity -
i.e. no uniform, etc.

Works fine.

KB

Old March 21st 05, 03:07 AM
Blueskies

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message ...

major snip

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message om...
"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

So Boy Scouts in uniform cannot ride in an experimental aircraft? As long as it is not officially sanctioned by the BSA
or the troop, there should be no concern about what they are wearing...

To take this further, there is a huge perception issue here. The AOPA and EAA should get out and promote aviation at
these associations. I know I have pushed around here to get things going (my daughter is 11 and was a girl scout, troop
broke up). Seems pretty odd that the EAA would even play along under these restrictions; the whole point is to promote
experimental aircraft. Funny how we roll over just to get the numbers up...

Old March 21st 05, 04:31 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

It is in the Girl Scout manual that the girls are NOT permitted to fly in
private planes -- period, end of story.

Well, I haven't read the manual, but they had a GS troop show up at a YE flyout
over at Sky Manor last year.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 21st 05, 04:59 AM
Montblack

("Steven Barnes" wrote)
Interesting. My ex-wife is leader of my daughter's brownie troop. I would
love nothing more, than to give a little talk about aviation during a
field
trip to the airport. Let the girls see/touch/sit in the plane. Hadn't
considered any rides, due to too many nervous moms to deal with. I wasn't
sure where to even look up any info on how to make a proper presentation.
would never have thought some manual would prohibit it.

I just gave a Golden Wings Museum (google) tour for a group of 6th and 2nd
graders on Friday. Our normal(?) tours are for high school and college age
kids, mostly aviation programs.

We had an hour to fill (about 2 minutes per plane) plus they got to climb up
in the Bushmaster Tri-Motor - two at a time.

I hadn't had elementary students on a tour before. What to do, what to do,
what to do?

I skipped the plane names, specs, and historical significance, etc and
instead pointed out similarities and differences between the planes, took
questions a mile a minute, and came back to the same plane more than once -
like a treasure hunt for stuff that we were learning on the tour. Don't know
about the kids, but I sure had fun. Actually they had a great time too.

Montblack

Old March 21st 05, 09:27 AM
W P Dixon

Hmmm,
Seems the only thing the Girl Scouts do now days is sell cookies! Between
knocking on your door to hitting you up at the grocery store and Wal Mart!
It's to dang hard to sell cookies at 7000 feet! That must be why they can't
fly!!!

As for the Boy Scouts, myself I can think of nothing better for a troop
to do than to build an airplane together!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech