Wet, Bumpy, and Cold

Old October 2nd 03, 08:27 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Wet, Bumpy, and Cold

Ha! I bet you thought that this was going to be some porn spam.
Well...perhaps not after the "Cold" bit grin.

I'd a very nice "getting feet wet" flight today. I was in the clouds for
roughly half the brief (two hour) (CDW-SWF-CDW) flight, I was in wet clouds
watching the thermostat drop, and some of those clouds hid *bumps*.

A good IFR practice run, and a lot of fun. I cannot remember the last time
I was solo with that much IMC. I even got a loggable hold (spinning around
IGN for a while) and approach out of it.

I wasn't even planning on IFRing. My original plans, based upon long range
weather, was to practice the commercial maneuvers I've recently learned.
I'd a club airplane scheduled for this purpose.

But I got bumped from the club airplane as maintenance (an avionics upgrade)
took longer than predicted (I'm guessing that this isn't an unusual
occurance {8^). As soon as I was notified of the bump, because I get antsy
if I don't get in enough airtime, I scheduled my "used to be usual"
airplane at the FBO.

This turned out to be a Good Thing, as I'd not take the club airplane into
IMC. I've flown it but once, and that before the not-yet-completed
upgrade. For single pilot IFR, I feel that one's fingers should know where
to find each knob w/o looking. In the club airplane, this is still far
from true.

So I'd likely have scrubbed the flight had I not been bumped.

BTW, this was the first time I'd ever asked for an altitude change due to
icing (the possibility; I never saw any). I wasn't too uncomfortable as I
knew that the tops were - at most - 2000 feet above me. But the controller
dropped me 1000 feet...still wet, but no longer that cold.

A few weeks ago, I landed with a tailwind. I was astonished at the runway
this used up. Today, I'd a stiff headwind on landing. I felt like a
helicopter.

- Andrew

Old October 2nd 03, 09:31 PM
David Megginson

Andrew Gideon writes:

BTW, this was the first time I'd ever asked for an altitude change
due to icing (the possibility; I never saw any). I wasn't too
uncomfortable as I knew that the tops were - at most - 2000 feet
above me. But the controller dropped me 1000 feet...still wet, but
no longer that cold.

How cold was the OAT? In Ottawa, we ended up with a ceiling at 2500
broken (layers to 8000), with the freezing level also at 2500 and
moderate icing forecast above it. There was no way I was taking my
Warrior up in that -- we ended up with an alternating sequence of rain
and ice pellets through the afternoon.

I'm hoping for another nice, cold, clear winter like last one -- once
it gets cold enough, the weather is mostly VMC, and the clouds are ice
crystals when they are present.

Thanks for the trip report,

David
Old October 3rd 03, 03:06 AM
Scott Lowrey

"Andrew Gideon" wrote
A few weeks ago, I landed with a tailwind. I was astonished at the runway
this used up. Today, I'd a stiff headwind on landing. I felt like a
helicopter.

Hmm, this brings back a memory from Waukesha, WI back in August. I was a
bit harried since I'd just lifted off from Milwaukee and went WAY to high
for the short trip to UES. (I was new to the area and didn't want to pay
the high fuel prices at Signature so elected to hop a fuel miles to a
smaller airport.)

There was a lot of traffic and the UES controller wanted me to come straight
in - now, please. I wasn't aware of a tailwind but it must have been there.
The airspeed indicator showed less than 50 knots at touchdown but I thought
for sure there was a bee stuck in the pitot tube. The ground was going by
at an alarming rate and the tires let out a serious yelp when they met the
pavement.

Whaddya do? If I was a bit more aware of my ground speed, I suppose I could
have requested another runway....

Anyway, thanks for the story. Looking forward to my first encounters with
IMC!

-Scott

Old October 3rd 03, 03:45 PM
Andrew Gideon

David Megginson wrote:

How cold was the OAT?

0c when I asked for an altitude change. For most of the flight (including
the same altitude later and elsewhere) it was ranging from 2c to 4c at
3-4000 feet.

[...]
I'm hoping for another nice, cold, clear winter like last one -- once
it gets cold enough, the weather is mostly VMC, and the clouds are ice
crystals when they are present.

Sigh I hate preflighting in the cold.

- Andrew

Old October 3rd 03, 04:54 PM
David Megginson

Andrew Gideon writes:

Sigh I hate preflighting in the cold.

Dress for it -- if you wear proper clothing (light layers), it's no
big deal preflighting outside, except for the brief times you have to
take off your mits.

The only part I don't like is putting on the covers late at night
below -20 degCin an unlit part of the field, when no one else is
around. If there's no one left in the clubhouse, I've made a habit of
calling home before I start and saying that if I don't call again in
30 minutes, send airport security to look for me. If I slipped and
knocked myself unconscious, I'd be dead long before sunrise.

All the best,

David
Old October 3rd 03, 05:17 PM
Andrew Gideon

David Megginson wrote:

Andrew Gideon writes:

Sigh I hate preflighting in the cold.

Dress for it -- if you wear proper clothing (light layers), it's no
big deal preflighting outside, except for the brief times you have to
take off your mits.

Yeah. I really need to purchase some high quality cold weather clothing. I
need to find something that doesn't require that I bundle enough to lose
mobility (except perhaps for having someone roll me down the ramp {8^).

The only part I don't like is putting on the covers late at night
below -20 degCin an unlit part of the field, when no one else is
around. If there's no one left in the clubhouse, I've made a habit of
calling home before I start and saying that if I don't call again in
30 minutes, send airport security to look for me. If I slipped and
knocked myself unconscious, I'd be dead long before sunrise.

Hmm...I've never thought of that. Excellent suggestion.

- Andrew

Old October 3rd 03, 07:03 PM
David Megginson

Andrew Gideon writes:

Yeah. I really need to purchase some high quality cold weather clothing. I
need to find something that doesn't require that I bundle enough to lose
mobility (except perhaps for having someone roll me down the ramp
{8^).

Here's what I wear -- it doesn't slow me down.

1. Normal underwear and socks.

2. Thermal underwear (I use waffle, but serious types prefer silk, I
think) and heavy work socks.

3. Regular pants and shirt, and sometimes a cotton sweater.

4. Boots, jacket, hat, mitts, scarf.

As soon as I'm sitting in the plane out of the wind, I take off the
jacket, hat, mitts, and scarf, but I keep them close to hand. The
extra thermal layer hardly bothers me at all, but it makes all the
difference.

All the best,

David

Old October 6th 03, 03:00 PM

Andrew Gideon wrote:
: I'd a very nice "getting feet wet" flight today. I was in the clouds for
: roughly half the brief (two hour) (CDW-SWF-CDW) flight, I was in wet clouds
: watching the thermostat drop, and some of those clouds hid *bumps*.

I had a similar experience yesterday with my freshly-minted IFR
ticket. Coming home from Columbus, OH to SW Virginia both departure and
destination had great VFR. A bit out of Dodge I hit IMC, got a clearance,
and flew into precip at 7000, +2 C. Got 9000 and picked up some light ice
at -2 C. Tried to go over at 10 but it got worse. Went down to 8000 and
it melted off.

Never really too nervous since the MEA in that area was 5000' and
I knew where I was going was good. Kind of nifty to get over an hour
of solo actual, though.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old October 6th 03, 09:48 PM
Ross Richardson

In the snow ski community you do not get cotton thermal underware. Silk
is supposed to be the best but I use a good quality polypropylene
combination, but no cotton.

Old October 7th 03, 07:32 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ross Richardson wrote:

In the snow ski community you do not get cotton thermal underware. Silk
is supposed to be the best but I use a good quality polypropylene
combination, but no cotton.

I'm going to ask a very un-PC question he what's the least flammable of
these?

- Andrew