real life use of general aviation for this newsgroup

Old January 26th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Default real life use of general aviation for this newsgroup

I've checked my log book, and it looks like almost all of my flights
are XC of one sort or another. That is, the airplane is pretty much
used the way I use my car. It's a convenient way to make a trip that's
a few hundred to a thousand miles long. Not all of the trips are
necessary (just as not all of the car trips I make are necessary,
either). Very few flight legs terminate at the same airport as where
the flight started.

If you're a fairly experienced pilot -- say 300 plus hours -- what is
your usage profile like?

My sense, and it could be very wrong, is that we use GA as a tool:
there's no doubt we like flying, and probably like me you're happy to
be flying, but you have other things to do when you land. For instance,
a typical non-business flight for me to Nantucket Island (off Cape
Cod, MA, USA) and that brings back memories of cobblestone streets and
flowers in gardens behind fences, rather than the CAVU conditions of
the flight. It might bring back different memories if required an
approach to minimums in fog, but that would be the exception.

I expect glider pilots will have a different take -- as best I can
tell, that tribe makes no excuses, they fly for the sole pleasure of
flying.

Old January 26th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/26/2007 8:52:30 AM, "Tony" wrote:

If you're a fairly experienced pilot -- say 300 plus hours -- what is
your usage profile like?

80% business, 15% charity, 5% personal, and all of these flights are x/c's
using my Bonanza V35B.

Regarding my business flights, I fly to my customer's city on Monday and
return home on Thursdays and occasionally fly to a business meeting.

--
Peter
Old January 26th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Jan 26, 7:52 am, "Tony" wrote:
I've checked my log book, and it looks like almost all of my flights
are XC of one sort or another. That is, the airplane is pretty much
used the way I use my car. It's a convenient way to make a trip that's
a few hundred to a thousand miles long. Not all of the trips are
necessary (just as not all of the car trips I make are necessary,
either). Very few flight legs terminate at the same airport as where
the flight started.

If you're a fairly experienced pilot -- say 300 plus hours -- what is
your usage profile like?

Mostly cross country. Last year it was about 2/3 travel towork
locations and 1/3 personal vacations and family visits. If I am not
flying enough to get the fix I need, I do take some flights just to
fly, but at the present time that is rare.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old January 26th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All mine are for fun, just always wanted to fly since I was a kid. My
business typical requires me to pull a trailer so a C172 is out of the
question for pretty much any business trip! I think I'll find more utility
for flying later in life, right now it is for pleasure.

--------------------------------
DW

Old January 26th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Perhaps we are the poor cousins but down under a lot of us PPLs are what we
call weekend warriors, who might go out every other week for a 1 hour
joyflight from the same airport. with hopefully a couple of x country trips
every year. Many of you US posters would probably doubt we can keep up the
necessary skills with maybe 40 hours per year but you need to bear in mind
much lower traffic density, generally good weather and a fairly open
terain. I have an outside controlled airspace license which lets me fly
anywhere in the country apart from the controlled airpace around the major
centers ( which still have smaller outside controlled airspace fields so it
is not much of a restriction at all). I dont have to worry too much about
ATC procedures... just being sure to stay out of the controlled airpsace. I
just love the freedom of flying .. the journey is unimportant.
terry.

Old January 26th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Peter R. wrote:
On 1/26/2007 8:52:30 AM, "Tony" wrote:

If you're a fairly experienced pilot -- say 300 plus hours -- what is
your usage profile like?

80% business, 15% charity, 5% personal, and all of these flights are x/c's
using my Bonanza V35B.

Regarding my business flights, I fly to my customer's city on Monday and
return home on Thursdays and occasionally fly to a business meeting.

All the hours are personal with %75 x/c. I work for a company that
won't allow travel in GA unless you have senior VP approval even though
we are one of the largest aviation related companies in the world. go
figure.
Old January 26th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

A long time ago (about 1980?) someone told me a special rating was
needed to fly over the outback, that my USA Private SEL Instruments
wasn't good enough. Did he have it backwards? It sounds like the rating
needed for flying in uncontrolled airspace there is easier to get than
one that might be used for controlled.

I would guess a bit less than hour a week could keep you pretty sharp
for VFR flights, but if it was 3 hours once a month it might be a
different story. One of my flying friends is pretty good at telling if
I've not been at the controls for three or four weeks, and if he flies
with me after I've just returned from a 10 or 15 hour flying time trip
he claims I'm almost as good as a real pilot like him. All's fair,
because we fly safety and check pilot for each other, and the game is
to put the pilot being tested head down under the hood, try to
disorient him, then say "the airplane is yours."

On Jan 26, 3:30 pm, "d&tm" wrote:
"Tony" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

[...]

terry.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 26th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Peter R. wrote:

80% business, 15% charity, 5% personal, and all of these flights are x/c's
using my Bonanza V35B.

I'm the exact opposite of you. 0% business and probably only around 25%
or less of the hours are cross country in my Bo. The rest go to
thrashing about the local dirt strips.
Old January 26th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Theune writes:

I work for a company that
won't allow travel in GA unless you have senior VP approval even though
we are one of the largest aviation related companies in the world. go
figure.

They're probably in a better position to know how dangerous GA is.

Old January 26th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
John Theune writes:

I work for a company that
won't allow travel in GA unless you have senior VP approval even
though we are one of the largest aviation related companies in the
world. go figure.

They're probably in a better position to know how dangerous GA is.

No they are probably in a better position to know what the company needs
donee company's insurance will cover and make the risk/reward decision.

Pilot claims no blame in July crash Mortimer Schnerd, RN Piloting 48 March 15th 06 09:00 PM
ATC User Fees Larry Dighera Piloting 80 May 12th 05 07:20 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM