Once more into the unknown.

Old March 23rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Once more into the unknown.

Had another flight yesterday. Had to post-pone it for 2 hours due to fog,
but once it cleared we had a 15kt breeze straight down 35. That meant using
the opposite runway to what I'm used to. Only used it once or twice before.
Did 2 circuits with my instructor, and then 6 on my own, plus 1 go around.
Total time was 1.2hrs. Approaches were much better this time, however, the
go around was the result of coming in too high. I crept up to about 1100ft
in the circuit whilst on base, so no real excuse for it. I tried to slip to
lose altitude on final, but am still over cautious doing slips and didn't
hold it long enough to lose enough height. Once on the ground, my instructor
asked me what happened to cause the go around. I told her and she said it
was a good decision to go around, rather than try and land and land too
long, without enough room to stop or get back up again. I've said I want to
do more work on slips again next week. So now, I only need 0.3hrs to
complete my 3 hrs required circuits solo, then we can move on in the
syllabus. Sky was a bit hazy, and I was told to keep an extra careful eye
out because the Avalon airshow is on and their active airspace starts at the
northern end of rwy 35 at 1500ft.
Next lesson, once the balance of my required solo is knocked off, we'll do
more forced landing practice, and some slips at my request. Will want to do
some more steep turns too. Gotta get my guts used to those babies!
Total time now: 13.4hrs.
Total Takeoffs: 74 (done by me)
Total Landings: 72 (done by me)
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Old March 23rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Will want to do
some more steep turns too. Gotta get my guts used to those babies!
Total time now: 13.4hrs.
Total Takeoffs: 74 (done by me)
Total Landings: 72 (done by me)

Way to go! Eventually steep turns become fun, so don't fret.

Just keep on keepin' on, and don't forget to enjoy it. I remember
working so hard during some lessons that I had to remind myself that I
was finally actually doing what I had dreamt of doing!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 23rd 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Way to go! Eventually steep turns become fun, so don't fret.

Just keep on keepin' on, and don't forget to enjoy it. I remember
working so hard during some lessons that I had to remind myself that I
was finally actually doing what I had dreamt of doing!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Thanks Jay. There is one thing I often forget to do, and it's a biggy! I
often forget to do my pre-landing checks! Too busy watching for the right
spot to turn base! Yesterday I was on the second circuit before I
remembered. (My instructor never picked it up during the circuits with her
either, so I think I got away with it!) Once I remember, I find I do them
every subsequent circuit, but it's remembering in the first place that's the
tough bit. I even talk to myself on the drive to the airfield! "Do you
pre-landings! Do your pre-landings!" but nuthin! I guess I'll just have to
keep at it.
Crash Lander

Old March 23rd 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Crash Lander wrote:
Total time now: 13.4hrs.
Total Takeoffs: 74 (done by me)
Total Landings: 72 (done by me)

C'mon, betcha can't beat my records!

134 Landings before I soloed
274 Landings when I checkrided

38.3 Hours before I soloed
92.5 Hours when I checkrided

And an 88 on my written!

My checkride pilot was Lyn Carlson, I was be-humbled in her stately
presence.

But enough about me! You! Get that thar license!

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 23rd 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"TheSmokingGnu" wrote in message
Crash Lander wrote:
Total time now: 13.4hrs.
Total Takeoffs: 74 (done by me)
Total Landings: 72 (done by me)

C'mon, betcha can't beat my records!

134 Landings before I soloed

I did my solo at 7hrs.
Remember though I'm doing a Recreational license, not a PPL. My minimum
required for the license is only 20hrs. Then there' the pax endorsement
which requires 10 hours solo, including what's done in the training, then
there's cross country endorsement, which I think is 3 hrs dual and 2 solo (I
think, don't quote me on those times), then I think there's an endorsement
for controlled airspace. Not sure on that last one.
Looking at your hours to solo versus hours to checkride, it's roughly a
third of the total. My 7 hours is roughly a third of my minimum total too,
so I guess we're on the same scale so to speak.
Looking forward to getting that thar license! ;-)
Speaking of thar! Why are pirates called pirates?
Because they ARGH!
Coming nurse!
Crash Lander