Any Recommendations for Noise Cancelling Headsets?

Old March 29th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Google Madness

Default Any Recommendations for Noise Cancelling Headsets?

I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.
Can any of you give me a recommendation on...
- Features to look for
- Makes and Models
- Cheapest places to purchase

Thanks,
Gene

Old March 29th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Google Madness wrote:
I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.
Can any of you give me a recommendation on...
- Features to look for
- Makes and Models
- Cheapest places to purchase

Call Tina at Tinaspilotshop.com,
(817)490-0046

Tell her you want the OEM Lightspeed ANR
headsets with gel earmuffs. It should
cost you around $300 shipped and they are
excellent. I bought 2 pair for my plane.

Old March 29th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Google Madness" wrote in message
I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.

You need look no further than Lightspeed. You can buy a 'R'20XL (like I
did) and still have enough left over from your budget to take your significant
other out for a modest meal. By the way, the "R" means "reconditioned" but the
one you get will look (and perhaps be) factory new. My set was a true
revelation compared to my old headset. Suddenly the others in the pattern
stopped talking like they had marbles in their mouth. I thought my new headset
was going to be a minor luxury, but it turned out to be a true safety
enhancment.

If you shop sharp, I think that there are some "private branded" Lightspeed
ANRs out there at good prices, but you need to have a way of knowing what you
are getting and you are likely cutting yourself off from future Lightspeed
factory support. If you buy direct from lightspeed,
http://www.anrheadsets.com/store.asp you can't go wrong.

Vaughn

Old March 30th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Google Madness" said:
I'm just learning to fly and right now my instructor loans me his set but
i'd like to have my own.
I'd like to keep the expense to a $350 limit.
Can any of you give me a recommendation on...
- Features to look for
- Makes and Models
- Cheapest places to purchase

I used Dave Clark H10-13.4s for 12 years and loved them. Back in 2003 I
got the Headsets Inc ANR kit for them, and that made them even better.
But last year at Oshkosh I bought a pair of Quiet Technologies "Halos".
http://quiettechnologies.com/

They're great. They're quiet and comfortable, and extremely light. It's
too bad they don't have a cell phone adaptor, but neither did my others.

I have one small complaint about them: I've burned through a bunch of the
foam ear tips because every time I loan them to somebody I use up a new
pair. And the web site has no information on getting new ear tips, and
every time I email them about how to get more ear tips they either say
"we're just about to go on vacation, contact us in two weeks", or they
ignore me completely. I suppose that when I run out of ear tips
completely that will stop being a small complaint and start being a major
peeve. But I've still got about 4 more pairs so as long as I don't loan
them out any more I'm set for a year or so.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Remember, "close" counts in horse-shoes, hand-grenades and nuclear warfare;
Old March 30th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul Tomblin wrote:
[ Quiet Technologies "Halo" headset]
And the web site has no information on getting new ear tips, and every
time I email them about how to get more ear tips they either say "we're
just about to go on vacation, contact us in two weeks", or they ignore
me completely.

One of the photo captions on http://quiettechnologies.com/index_003.htm
says "World-wide availability of ear tips. These are standard products
available either through Quiet Tech or most audiologists and hearing aid
dispensers." Googling "foam eartips" reveals several possibilities. It
might help to go to a local audiologist and/or music shop (the ear tips
are apparently also used on stage headsets used by musicians) so you can
try different kinds and see what fits on the headset and get a couple.
Then you'll have a part number and can order them from whoever is cheap.

On the other hand, you might argue that for $400, they can afford to send
you some eartips under "warranty" or in the interest of good customer
service.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration
from any of the companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Old March 30th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
[ Quiet Technologies "Halo" headset]
And the web site has no information on getting new ear tips, and every
time I email them about how to get more ear tips they either say "we're
just about to go on vacation, contact us in two weeks", or they ignore
me completely.

One of the photo captions on
http://quiettechnologies.com/index_003.htm
says "World-wide availability of ear tips. These are standard products
available either through Quiet Tech or most audiologists and hearing aid
dispensers." Googling "foam eartips" reveals several possibilities. It

I find ones that look almost the same, but not quite. These for instance:
http://www.scansound.com/Foam-Eartip...Headphones.htm
http://www.dm-gremlin.com/sales/inde...products_id=80
The ones that come with the Halo have a little bit of black tubing
sticking out of them, and I've never seen any like that.

Oh wait, here they a
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiology-Insert...ayphotohosting
(The trick is to google for "audiology foam eartips")

Ok, I take back everything bad I said about the Halo headset. I think I
can afford $15.95 for what looks like a several years supply.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law