Scouts have bumpy landing

Old March 19th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
M. Fricker

Default Scouts have bumpy landing

Mxsmanic wrote:

Airport manager Timothy Fousee said a lever that locks the landing
gear in place malfunctioned.

Or it was improperly maintained.

No, the airport manager didn't say that.

However, many things that are not properly maintained do malfunction, so
it might be "And it was not maintained", but the airport manager didn't
say that either.

In any case it really doesn't matter to the people reading this does it.
Old March 19th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote

Thanx for that reminder.

Actually, to be a merit badge counselor, there is no fee required. If
you register for any other volunteer position (e.g., Scoutmaster or
unit commissioner), it does indeed cost $10, then you can add MBC or
additional volunteer positions for free.

But if you register *only* as a MBC, there is no charge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
As long as we are on the subject of becoming active in Boy Scouts, I should
mention the Explorer program, specifically, the Aviation Explorer program.
The Explorers are groups involved in about every career path that could be
taken in life. Examples are paramedic, police, nursing, engineering, and
the list goes on.

Explorers are a "division" of Boy Scouts, and more specifically, "Learning
for Life." Not to lose sight of the ball though, as the organizational
specifics are not important.

Aviation Explorers can be a pivotal way to increase our youth's interest in
aviation. In our post, we have had several youth take aviation as a career
path, when that was not the likely way they were headed.

It is not all that hard to get a new post started. The activities can be
broad, and varied, and not necessarily all aviation. We have gone to at
least two air shows per year (not counting the big one (OSH)) gone skiing,
rafting, to scuba certifying classes, directed parking and aircraft at our
area air show, helped with our local EAA fly-ins, and the list goes on.

I'll bet a good many people do not realize where all of the man (and boy
g) power comes from, to push and park all of the airplanes in the
homebuilt showplane area at OSH every year. It is all Explorers, and other
adult EAA advisors. They also man the ropes at the taxiways in area 51, do
crowd control and plane protection (from the few ignorant people watching
the daily airshow) People over 18 that have been to OSH two times as an
Explorer are eligible to be trained to flag aircraft on some of the active
taxiway intersections off of 18/36, serving one year as apprentice, then on
their own the next year. Shifts are 2 or three hours per day, with
opportunities to work double shifts, if desired.

The Aviation Explorers have a base on the airport grounds, down next to the
North airplane camping area, next to the Civil Air Patrol base camp. There
are usually a few more than 100 boys and girls, and 20 or 30 adult advisors.
Units come from Cleveland, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, North Carolina, and some
other far away places that I can't remember right now.

I can't emphasize how good of an experience Aviation Explorers can be for
you, and for our youth. For those people who really want to make a
difference in keeping G.A. alive, and even growing, IMHO, there is NO better
way to make it happen.

Seriously, think of getting some buddies together and start a post. It is
not hard, and very rewarding. I can point you to a person who is far more
qualified than me, to give you the specifics of how to make this all happen.

Contact me via back channels to get the contact person's name, at:

Make the two obvious BIG changes in my addy.

For other general questions, feel free to contact me, or better yet, post
them here, in newsgroup land.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 19th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 19, 2:40 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
[...]

Its odd that BSA's site http://www.scouting.org/ doesn't mention
Explorers. I've not heard of them. Usually we try to get older boys
involved in Venture scouting to keep them interested.

-Robert

Old March 19th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

Its odd that BSA's site http://www.scouting.org/ doesn't mention
Explorers. I've not heard of them. Usually we try to get older boys
involved in Venture scouting to keep them interested.

This explains it far better than I could ever attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_for_Life

Here are a couple other unit specific sites.

http://www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/d...ingforlife.htm

http://www.troop97.net/bsainfo.htm

Notice that I put quotations around "division" of Boy Scouts, and that is
not even right, because it is now called just "Scouting."

Like I said, the divisions are not important. Helping our youth get "turned
on" to aviation is what is important.

Google "Learning for Life" if you want to know more, or even better, inquire
about starting a unit, by contacting me and getting _my_ contact person's
information.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 20th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Stephen Henning

Default Aviation Exploring

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

As long as we are on the subject of becoming active in Boy Scouts, I should
mention the Explorer program, specifically, the Aviation Explorer program.

Its odd that BSA's site http://www.scouting.org/ doesn't mention
Explorers. I've not heard of them. Usually we try to get older boys
involved in Venture scouting to keep them interested.

It is not the least bit odd. The BSA organizes career programs for
charter organizations such as government agencies or corporations that
may have difficulty with belief in God under the Learning For Life
banner, a subsidiary of the BSA. Exploring and learning for life have
no Oath or Laws as Scouting does. Exploring falls under this banner.
For more on Exploring and Learning For Life visit:

http://www.learning-for-life.org/

http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/index.html

http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/aviation/index.html
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://scouters.us
Old March 20th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Mxsmanic

M. Fricker writes:

No, the airport manager didn't say that.

The airport manager is no more qualified to determine the state of maintenance
of the gear than I am.

In any case it really doesn't matter to the people reading this does it.

It might. GA aircraft suffer far more incidents and accidents than commercial
airliners. One reason is less rigorous maintenance. It's important to make
it clear that much of the additional risk of flying in GA aircraft is
avoidable, and very often GA accidents are avoidable instances of simple
carelessness (or recklessness) on the part of flight crews or aircraft owners.

Old March 20th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

M. Fricker writes:

No, the airport manager didn't say that.

The airport manager is no more qualified to determine the state of
maintenance of the gear than I am.

In any case it really doesn't matter to the people reading this does
it.

It might. GA aircraft suffer far more incidents and accidents than
commercial airliners. One reason is less rigorous maintenance.

Mostly it's because they outnumber commercial aircraft by a huge margin,
fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old March 20th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Mostly it's because they outnumber commercial aircraft by a huge margin,
fjukkwit.

Unfortunately, no, it's not that.

Old March 20th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
James Sleeman

On Mar 20, 7:56 am, wrote:
Seconds before the plane came down, Riegel said, the pilot told his
passengers he would land on the grass next to the runway.

Wonder why the pilot chose to land on the grass instead of the hard,

I thought that too. When flying a retract that won't let the gear
down I always thought the preferred landing places were in this order

Best...........: sealed runway
Less Good......: grass runway
Really Bad Day.: anything else

Old March 20th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Gary[_2_]

On Mar 19, 10:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
The airport manager is no more qualified to determine the state of maintenance
of the gear than I am.

Lets see...he's an aviation professional, running the local airport
where the aircraft was based. He'd know the aircraft owner, and all
the A&P's at the field. As airport manager, I guarantee he's spoken
to all of the parties involved, probably had a look at the plane and
the maintenance records, and he may very well have been a witness to
the landing.

You were 6000 miles away from the incident, you haven't left your
apartment since, your only knowledge of the landing was what you read
in the links posted above, you have no aviation background, and you've
never been in a light plane or seen a maintenance log.

He's more qualified to determine the state of maintenance.