speaking of defunct museums...

Old January 7th 04, 08:31 PM
David Windhorst

Default speaking of defunct museums...

Back in the 80s I visited the Florence (SC) Air & Missile Museum a
couple times. They had an extremely disassembled B29 that they hoped
eventually to work into some sort of display. That a/c is not mentioned
in any of the online references to the museum I could find. Does anyone
know what happened to it?

Old January 7th 04, 09:11 PM
Bob McKellar

David Windhorst wrote:

Back in the 80s I visited the Florence (SC) Air & Missile Museum a
couple times. They had an extremely disassembled B29 that they hoped
eventually to work into some sort of display. That a/c is not mentioned
in any of the online references to the museum I could find. Does anyone
know what happened to it?

I have a vague recollection that it went to another site for restoration and
display ( not scrapped ). I have an even vaguer recollection that it went
to Atlanta:

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/atlanta/b29.htm

I have no evidence for these "facts" and they may be completely Tarveristic.

Correction would be welcomed.

Bob McKellar

Old January 8th 04, 09:19 PM
John

Bob McKellar wrote:

David Windhorst wrote:

Back in the 80s I visited the Florence (SC) Air & Missile Museum a
couple times. They had an extremely disassembled B29 that they hoped
eventually to work into some sort of display. That a/c is not mentioned
in any of the online references to the museum I could find. Does anyone
know what happened to it?

I have a vague recollection that it went to another site for restoration and
display ( not scrapped ). I have an even vaguer recollection that it went
to Atlanta:
Correction would be welcomed.

Bob McKellar

44-70113 was displayed for many years at the Florence Space Museum
When that facility closed, it was moved to Dobbins AFB in Georgia.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...9-4470113.html

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/atlanta/b29.htm

Old January 8th 04, 09:51 PM
Bob McKellar

John wrote:

Bob McKellar wrote:

David Windhorst wrote:

Back in the 80s I visited the Florence (SC) Air & Missile Museum a
couple times. They had an extremely disassembled B29 that they hoped
eventually to work into some sort of display. That a/c is not mentioned
in any of the online references to the museum I could find. Does anyone
know what happened to it?

I have a vague recollection that it went to another site for restoration and
display ( not scrapped ). I have an even vaguer recollection that it went
to Atlanta:
Correction would be welcomed.

Bob McKellar

44-70113 was displayed for many years at the Florence Space Museum
When that facility closed, it was moved to Dobbins AFB in Georgia.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...9-4470113.html

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/atlanta/b29.htm

Thanks for quoting my own website to me ! :-)

I do know for a fact ( a non tarveristic one ) that it left Florence at least
three years before its closure, probably much earlier than that.

Bob McKellar

PS - You are welcome to quote the Florence website to me, that's mine as well!

Old January 9th 04, 07:55 PM
David Windhorst

Bob McKellar wrote:

John wrote:

Bob McKellar wrote:

David Windhorst wrote:

[...]

Tnanks kindly, Bob & John. I have some slides taken of the a/c in 1980
or '81 -- it certainly is in happier shape now.

Old January 9th 04, 08:05 PM
John

Bob McKellar wrote:Thanks for quoting my own website to me ! :-)

I do know for a fact ( a non tarveristic one ) that it left Florence at least
three years before its closure, probably much earlier than that.

Bob McKellar

PS - You are welcome to quote the Florence website to me, that's mine as well!

Oops, I failed to notice that,,,

I tried to get the local AirGuard interested in obtaining the Florence B-57 to add
to their RF-4 & RF-101 gate guards ( they flew all those types)
but no joy,,,, not enough interest... or too busy, they have since switched to
C-130, and are deployed to the middle east...