Changed the oil today...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 6th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default Changed the oil today...

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:17:04 -0600, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

It all sounds like a lot of work, storing the used oil, taking it to the
dump (or having a large holding tank). My mechanic does an oil change with
10 qts and a new filter for around $125.00.

I can buy oil in bulk for around 3.50 a quart, and a filter is around 20.00
(as far as I remember). With his shop helper he can do the change in an
hour, while it takes me around twice as long doing it alone. Add in the
cost, time, and hassle of storing the used oil or going to the dump to get
rid of it, the price may just break even. (Three plus hours of time to do
the job and get rid of the oil may be worth the extra 55.00)

It is three hours that could be spent flying, sleeping, drinking beer, or
doing some other worthwhile activity like helping coach my son's hockey
team, etc.

Three hours?
Step one ...go fly half hour, hour, what ever
Step two, put plane back in hangar after flying.
Step three. Hook 2' of garden hose to quick drain
Step four: Set 5 gallon bucket under hose.
Step six: Open quick drain.
Step seven have cup of coffee or bottle of pop.
Step 8: Close quick drain
Step 9: Remove hose from quick drain and move it and oil bucket out of
way.
Step 10: Add oil.
Step 11. Put top on oil bucket and set where I'll remember it.

Drop oil off at FBO or take to any of the local auto parts stores on
way home.

Total time for step one through 11 less than half an hour.
Time to drop off oil about 5 minutes if you don't count the inevitable
BS session that will last two hours at FBO. Auto parts store time is
less than 10 minutes without any BS session.

Ahhh no, I didn't forget the filter. I fly an "old" airplane. I just
check for chunks in the screen. Analysis kit is between $12 and $15
Filters on a Bo add about 5 minutes ...unless you drop it. Then it
takes about 10 minutes to clean up the mess.

I still favor the idea of driving down a rural road at night and dribbling
out a little at a time. It helps keep the dust down in summer. (at least
that's what they said when I saw them do it in a grass strip in Vermont,
where I learned to fly).

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com