Oshkosh Pictures are up..

Old August 8th 04, 03:52 PM
Dennis

Default Oshkosh Pictures are up..

Sorry for the delay this year, but extremely busy since returning from
Oshkosh..

Pictures are at http://www.myairplane.com/oshkosh2004

This was our first time doing a booth, it was 7 days of terror and fun at
the same time. Our booth had a crowd in front if it constantly from the
time the doors open until after they closed! I even lost my voice toward
the end from talking so much.. I met "Jim Weir" after years of reading his
posts in these newsgroups.. RST Engineering awarded us "Best Product of the
Year"!! They came by and someone in our booth gave a demo of our latest
offerings, and the next day, they were standing there, paper in hand and
across the top read "Congratulations!" WOW! I'm still shocked that we won
this award! They must have been drinking a lot of beer the evening before..
Jim, if your reading this, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! very much.
We had to get up on a stage in from of about 100 or so people the next day
to accept the award, of course that was at the time my voice started going
and I'm not a public speaker type, luckily, Doug was there to cover for us..
Jim, if there is any support we can give you in next years Oshkosh, please
let me know..

As most people know about us, we are all about free information, our goal is
to show people that you can in fact have an absolutely free web site, void
of any banners, pop-ups, spam, etc.. and still make money. Granted, we
don't make a whole lot, but we do make enough to pay our bills and fund
further development. We have our own product now, 2 applications for the
Pocket PC users, 1 being the complete library of Approach Plates, all
12,663+ compressed to fit onto a cheap 256MB memory card, but have the same
quality as the original FAA plates you see on our site! All full size and
300DPI (still in vector format as well) Some people might think that this
is no big deal, but when you consider the total size is 216MB and allows you
to zoom in and have perfect clarity, it is a big deal while flying along
trying to read the data.. There are 2 other vendors that I know of who have
plates on a pocket pc, each has 2 levels of zoom and use jpeg or gif images
which makes it very hard to read the plate because of image distortion.
They also can not fit all the plates onto a 1GB card, you get the lower 48
at best and they charge $250+. We sold ours at the show for $10! It was a
superior product and made it affordable for anyone. We got a reaming from
one vendor that said it was far to cheap and we needed to increase our
prices because "pilots have money".. well, I'm a pilot and I don't have a
whole lot of cash... He said "its not fair to us or other vendors and not
fair to the aviation community",, hmm.. not fair? We had the FAA in our
booth 4 times during the show, each time congradulating us for the app's.
Our thoughts are that aviation gets ripped on prices all the time and a lot
will fly with outdated data because of it, we want to offer a far better
product, cheaply, which will allow pilots to get current data without the
price and promote aviation safety as a result.

The other app allows you to get the VFR Sectionals for the lower 48 States
onto a 512MB memory card, each sectional is 7MB per side and is fully
georeferenced. We do plan to add moving map later on. The sectionals or
100DPI and are very crisp and clear when viewer on the pocket pc.

We had 5 of the panel mount display vendors approach us to discuss getting
our technology into their displays as an alternative to the traditional (and
expensive) jep charts. King (schools) had a new product rep at our booth
wanting to talk about getting our app's into their catalog and even a
reporter from "Plane & Pilot" was there talking about an article on
MyAirplane.com! All in all, I think it was the best move for us to run a
booth this year. A lot had to do with winning the award from RST
Engineering as well.. I just can't thank those folks enough!

You won't see these app's on our web site yet, we got a lot of suggestions
from people at the show and will have most added to the app's this week and
then put online.

Now we are busy getting ready to do a booth at the AOPA Expo in Long Beach,
CA this October.. and if all goes well, will do a booth at Sun'n Fun and
then again, Oshkosh 2005.

We met many usenet folks and general visitors to our web site. It was great
to meet everyone and find that we have loads of support from the community.
Makes it all that much more fun running our web site...

Dennis
MyAirplane.com