PIREP: Potomac TRACON Tour

Old May 1st 05, 12:45 AM
Charlie Derk

Default PIREP: Potomac TRACON Tour

All -

Just wanted to post my experiences from a tour that I took today of the
Potomac TRACON in Warrenton, VA.

First off, I got my instrument rating back in January, and today was the
first time I flew a ton of hard IFR. It was a 2.3 hour trip from KABE to
KHEF. I went IMC at 1000' MSL and broke out in Manassas at 700' MSL - what
a rush.

Anyway, I went down for an ADIZ seminar and tour of the TRACON. What a
facility! Kudos to all the controllers that came in on their day off to
give tours and explain the things they do to keep us safe. It was
enlightening.

I think one of the best questions that was asked was their biggest pet
peeves... most of them were regarding VFR pilots:
- Not being brief (giving your life history when calling in)
- Not executing turns in a timely fashion.
- Thinking that you switched frequencies, and you didn't, and in turn giving
your life history again!

All in all, it was a good trip (a) I got lots of good practice in the soup
and (b) I have a better understanding of what ATC does, why they do it, and
how to make their lives easier.

And for those of you that live or fly in/around the Washington DC area and
must deal with the ADIZ... ATC hates it just as much as we do.

I spoke to the gentleman that coordinates these tours, and he mentioned that
they plan on doing it once a quarter until the attendance dies down. There
were two seminars today, and I bet the one that I attended had about 75
people there. The personalized tours consisted of a controller working with
about 5 attendees. If you get the chance, by all means, do it - its worth
it.

I found out about it through the AOPA email newletter that comes out. The
thing fills up fast, so be quick. If you don't get in, you'll get on a
waiting list and if you still get cut, you'll have first crack at the next
one.

Regards,
Charlie Derk

Old May 1st 05, 04:21 PM
Baha

Have you noticed anything about being a US Citizen on the requirements
to visit the tracon? In the last tour that they arranged here in
Seattle that was a requirement and upset a lot of H1Bs and permanent
residents.

All my visits to Dulles Approach, Dulles Tower and Washington Center
were a lot of fun when I used to live there.

Baha Acuner

Old May 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Newps

Baha wrote:
Have you noticed anything about being a US Citizen on the requirements
to visit the tracon?

It's not a requirement. If you are not a US citizen you have to be
checked out in advance of your tour.
Old May 2nd 05, 01:41 PM
Baha

Newps wrote:
Baha wrote:
Have you noticed anything about being a US Citizen on the

requirements
to visit the tracon?

It's not a requirement. If you are not a US citizen you have to be
checked out in advance of your tour.

Could you refer me to the rule/law/FAA material that says that? Here in
Seattle FSDO the thing was verbotten to the non-citizens. Period. My
emails, phone calls, etc. was turned down. If I can find something
about the way Potomac Tracon is handling this, it will enable us to
visit the Seattle Approach facilities.

Thanks,

Baha Acuner

Old May 2nd 05, 02:34 PM
Newps

Baha wrote:
Newps wrote:

Baha wrote:

Have you noticed anything about being a US Citizen on the

requirements

to visit the tracon?

It's not a requirement. If you are not a US citizen you have to be
checked out in advance of your tour.

Could you refer me to the rule/law/FAA material that says that?

No. It's a memo that I presume all facilities gave to their
controllers. It says that anybody that isn't a citizen that wants a
tour is to be referred to the office. The manager will contact the FBI
and a quick background check will be done and then you get your tour.
Old May 2nd 05, 04:46 PM
GEG

And they wonder why students and low-timers
are intimidated to call into these guys!

Well, it's great to know!
They've got a busy airspace to care for.

Thanks for the report!
Old May 2nd 05, 04:55 PM
W P Dixon

Here at TRI they would not let a CFI from Brazil that works for my flight
school go on the tour of the ATC facility. Guess they are getting pretty
strict on it.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old May 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
Jack Allison

Good for you taking the tour Charlie. I had a chance to visit our local
TRACON (Norcal) a few months back and it was awesome. As it turned out,
I'm now partners with two guys that work in the facility so I'll be able
to go back sometime.

It's a great experience to see things from the controller's side of
things. If anyone ever gets an opportunity for something like this, by
all means, do it.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 2nd 05, 10:17 PM
bdl

I second that Jack. I took a tour (part of Operation Raincheck?) here
at the STL TRACON. Excellent experience.

One thing I found interesting, was most of the group that was there for
the tour was VFR pilots, and didn't seem interested in instrument
procedures, etc. Mostly questions about VFR flight following, etc.

Still it was nice to look at the scopes and watch the traffic come in.
It's pretty light traffic these days in STL with the loss of hub status
by American, but it was still interesting.

They echo'd similar pet peeves. Getting a pilot's life story on
initial contact. Seems there's a certain flight school (affiliated
with a college) who's instructors are teaching their students that way.

Jack, Charlie were your tours part of an official program like
Operation Raincheck? Or just an ad hoc tour?

I'd like to do another one again, seems I had a bunch more questions
after I left than before I was there. Oh and I'd kill for more time on
their simulator (only had about 5 minutes due to a scheduling foulup).

Brian

Old May 2nd 05, 11:29 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto