Tow planes and ADS-B Out

Old October 27th 19, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Ruggiero

Default Tow planes and ADS-B Out

I realize our operational environments are varied, but what’s the trend for equipping tow planes with ADS-B out? The broad requirement distilled down is that it’s “required in airspace where transponders are required,” which for us is pretty rare. There are relatively easy/cheap (by aviation standards anyway) installs available, so there’s that.

Larry Ruggiero, Carolina Soaring
Old October 27th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

The two tow planes I maintain have different ADS-B out. On one I installed a Stratus ESG transponder. (The original transponder had failed.) The other tow plane I just installed a skyBeacon.

My preference if it’s my airplane is to install an Stratus ESGi. That way you have a new transponder with both in and out. The tow pilots can pick up the ADS-B in along with AHRS and weather on their iPads.

The uAvionix tailBeacon will not work on a stock Pawnee rudder FYI.
Old October 28th 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 9:29:35 AM UTC-7, Larry Ruggiero wrote:
I realize our operational environments are varied, but what’s the trend for equipping tow planes with ADS-B out? The broad requirement distilled down is that it’s “required in airspace where transponders are required,” which for us is pretty rare. There are relatively easy/cheap (by aviation standards anyway) installs available, so there’s that.

Larry Ruggiero, Carolina Soaring

Bare in mind that the biannual transponder check may be more expensive with ADS-B as new, much more expensive, test equipment is required.

Tom
Old October 28th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

You’re very incorrect. Having ADS-B out has nothing to do with the biennial transponder check. If your transponder is mode S as opposed to mode C there’s a slightly higher cost. $125 compared to $90 where I am at. All of the ADS-B out transponders are mode S.
Old October 28th 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Well I guess you’re not totally incorrect. You’ll probably pay $35 more per year if you currently have a mode c transponder.
Old October 28th 19, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 7:00:18 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
You’re very incorrect. Having ADS-B out has nothing to do with the biennial transponder check. If your transponder is mode S as opposed to mode C there’s a slightly higher cost. $125 compared to $90 where I am at. All of the ADS-B out transponders are mode S.

Just reporting what my avionics tech told me.

Tom
Old October 28th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

There are quite a few operations inside mode C veils around the country...
Old October 28th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Tow pilots with iPads.* What a hoot!

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 28th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

At least half of our tow pilots use them. We do quite a bit of cross country for retrieves and expeditions.
Old October 28th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Ruggiero

Good to know the tail beacon; I assume it’s because the rudder isn’t stable enough.