A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tow planes and ADS-B Out

Old October 27th 19, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Ruggiero
external usenet poster

Default Tow planes and ADS-B Out

I realize our operational environments are varied, but what’s the trend for equipping tow planes with ADS-B out? The broad requirement distilled down is that it’s “required in airspace where transponders are required,” which for us is pretty rare. There are relatively easy/cheap (by aviation standards anyway) installs available, so there’s that.

Larry Ruggiero, Carolina Soaring
Old October 27th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

The two tow planes I maintain have different ADS-B out. On one I installed a Stratus ESG transponder. (The original transponder had failed.) The other tow plane I just installed a skyBeacon.

My preference if it’s my airplane is to install an Stratus ESGi. That way you have a new transponder with both in and out. The tow pilots can pick up the ADS-B in along with AHRS and weather on their iPads.

The uAvionix tailBeacon will not work on a stock Pawnee rudder FYI.
Old October 28th 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 9:29:35 AM UTC-7, Larry Ruggiero wrote:
I realize our operational environments are varied, but what’s the trend for equipping tow planes with ADS-B out? The broad requirement distilled down is that it’s “required in airspace where transponders are required,” which for us is pretty rare. There are relatively easy/cheap (by aviation standards anyway) installs available, so there’s that.

Larry Ruggiero, Carolina Soaring

Bare in mind that the biannual transponder check may be more expensive with ADS-B as new, much more expensive, test equipment is required.

Tom
Old October 28th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

You’re very incorrect. Having ADS-B out has nothing to do with the biennial transponder check. If your transponder is mode S as opposed to mode C there’s a slightly higher cost. $125 compared to $90 where I am at. All of the ADS-B out transponders are mode S.
Old October 28th 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Well I guess you’re not totally incorrect. You’ll probably pay $35 more per year if you currently have a mode c transponder.
Old October 28th 19, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 7:00:18 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
You’re very incorrect. Having ADS-B out has nothing to do with the biennial transponder check. If your transponder is mode S as opposed to mode C there’s a slightly higher cost. $125 compared to $90 where I am at. All of the ADS-B out transponders are mode S.

Just reporting what my avionics tech told me.

Tom
Old October 28th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

There are quite a few operations inside mode C veils around the country...
Old October 28th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Tow pilots with iPads.* What a hoot!

On 10/27/2019 4:02 PM, Charles Longley wrote:
The two tow planes I maintain have different ADS-B out. On one I installed a Stratus ESG transponder. (The original transponder had failed.) The other tow plane I just installed a skyBeacon.

My preference if it’s my airplane is to install an Stratus ESGi. That way you have a new transponder with both in and out. The tow pilots can pick up the ADS-B in along with AHRS and weather on their iPads.

The uAvionix tailBeacon will not work on a stock Pawnee rudder FYI.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 28th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

At least half of our tow pilots use them. We do quite a bit of cross country for retrieves and expeditions.
Old October 28th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Ruggiero
external usenet poster

Good to know the tail beacon; I assume it’s because the rudder isn’t stable enough.