Torque values for oil screen

Old January 22nd 05, 07:32 PM
John Clonts

Default Torque values for oil screen

Could someone please tell me the proper torque for the oil screen housing in my IO-520-FCL? Also the oil drain
plug? I can't get hold of my A&P until Monday but I want to change the oil tonight...

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old January 22nd 05, 09:22 PM
Scott Skylane

John Clonts wrote:
Could someone please tell me the proper torque for the oil screen housing in my IO-520-FCL? Also the oil drain
plug? I can't get hold of my A&P until Monday but I want to change the oil tonight...

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

John,

Both of these items use a copper crush gasket for sealing. I am not
aware of any "torque" value published for such items. Using *new*
gaskets, turn the screen/plug in until gasket contact is made, then an
additional 1/4 turn (45 degree rotation) should do it. As you are
turning your wrench, you will feel the friction gradually increase,
until proper compression is achieved, at which point the friction starts
to rapidly increase. This is sometimes called the "calibrated elbow"
approach, and is quite adequate for these types of gasket.

As a side note, a quick drain plug greatly simplifies this procedure, if
space permits. As far as the oil screen goes, most people safe-tie
these, but is not necessary. Take a look at the next TCM factory
new/overhauled engine you get a chance to see.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054
Old January 25th 05, 12:01 AM
John Clonts

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message ...
John Clonts wrote:
[...]

Thanks Scott,

I ended up delaying so I can get the new gaskets. But I also found this:
http://www.tcmlink.com/serviceBulletins/pdf/sb96-7B.pdf

If I read it right it's about 16 ft-lbs for the oil sump drain, and 42 ft-lbs on the Oil filter screen...

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ