Slightly OT, How do birds fly IMC?

Old May 28th 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

Default Slightly OT, How do birds fly IMC?

On 2008-05-28, Dudley Henriques wrote:
It's fascinating really the way nature works with these animals.

I like watching large waterfowl take off and land, like swans.

Swans start paddling frantically and flapping, until they get "on the
step", and then it looks much more organized - as their take off run
progresses, then they break the water and climb out. You can see the
tremendous effort they exert as they try and break free of the draggy
water.

Landing's also interesting - you see them hang everything out, 'put the
flaps down' as such, their wings seem to take on much more camber as
they glide in, then waterski on their webbed feet, and then actively use
their wings as airbrakes by beating the air, till they stop.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old May 28th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alek

On May 28, 3:08*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
skym wrote in news:e1d25e29-b098-4632-a1c7-
:

On May 27, 6:58*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Geese fly in a Vee formation, one side
of the Vee is always longer than the other. Do you know why that
situation exists?
There are more Geese in that line.

Ha, ha. *But really, does anyone have a theory why that is?

They have an underdeveloped sense of symmetry and math skills~?

Bertie

Think it is because of the drag, they reduce drag this way. It depends
on which direction the wind blows. Also heard that their 'compass
system' is based on the iron contained in their blood cells...
Amazing.

Rgrds,
Alex
Old May 28th 08, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:05:27 -0700 (PDT), skym wrote:

On May 27, 6:58*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Geese fly in a Vee formation, one side
of the Vee is always longer than the other. Do you know why that
situation exists?
There are more Geese in that line.

Ha, ha. But really, does anyone have a theory why that is?

Geese sociologists refer to the theorem that geese enjoy having an odd
geese out.
Old May 28th 08, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim Blite

On Tue, 27 May 2008 21:23:05 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually I was kidding about the extended line on one side. I believe
Geese can fly a perfect V with equal sides if they desire to do so.

Only GooseGod is perfect.

I vaguely recall some time ago someone telling me that Geese use the
same sort of formation strategy as NASCAR drivers drafting on a super
speedway. The formation creates less overall drag than individuals
flying alone. This enables them to use less energy flying and they can
extend their range this way.

Stay within your field of expertise which isn't NASCAR or geese,
obviously.

It's fascinating really the way nature works with these animals.

Someone has too, they're too stupid to crawl into their cars without
assistance.

I lived for many years on a riverside in Maryland. My home there was
right at the water's edge. We used to watch the birds migrate each year
and always marveled at their precision.

Why is their **** white when they eat red berries?

I distinctly remember one year watching as the leader broke out of the
formation and drifted back to the tail end charlie position as the next
bird in the line took his place.

Call me when you see them in the missionary position.
Old May 28th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ABLE_1[_2_]

And then there is this:

http://brainclutter.wordpress.com/20...-eage-vs-swan/

Old May 28th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:09:55 -0700 (PDT), Alek
wrote:

On May 28, 3:08*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
skym wrote in news:e1d25e29-b098-4632-a1c7-
:

On May 27, 6:58*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Geese fly in a Vee formation, one side
of the Vee is always longer than the other. Do you know why that
situation exists?
There are more Geese in that line.

Ha, ha. *But really, does anyone have a theory why that is?

They have an underdeveloped sense of symmetry and math skills~?

Bertie

Think it is because of the drag, they reduce drag this way. It depends
on which direction the wind blows. Also heard that their 'compass
system' is based on the iron contained in their blood cells...
Amazing.

Rgrds,
Alex

no no no no. all blood has iron in it. haemoglobin molecules have a
core of 4 iron atoms. with 12 litres of blood in you you dont make the
compass swing when your hand is near it or have magnets sticking to
you. ...well I dont.

truely,the really competent migratory birds have tiny nodules of
magnetic iron in some of the tissues in their head.
they're flying by compass. literally.

Stealth Pilot

Old May 28th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Alek wrote in
:

On May 28, 3:08*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
skym wrote in news:e1d25e29-b098-4632-a1c7-
:

On May 27, 6:58*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Geese fly in a Vee formation, one
side of the Vee is always longer than the other. Do you know why
that situation exists?
There are more Geese in that line.

Ha, ha. *But really, does anyone have a theory why that is?

They have an underdeveloped sense of symmetry and math skills~?

Bertie

Think it is because of the drag, they reduce drag this way. It depends
on which direction the wind blows.

Doubt that since I'm pretty sure they figured out long ago that wind
doesn't affect them in that way.

Also heard that their 'compass
system' is based on the iron contained in their blood cells...
Amazing.

Now that sounds as if it could be possible, OK....

Bertie

Rgrds,
Alex

Old May 28th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

On May 27, 6:23 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
skym wrote:
On May 27, 6:58 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Geese fly in a Vee formation, one
side of the Vee is always longer than the other. Do you know why
that situation exists?
There are more Geese in that line.

Ha, ha. But really, does anyone have a theory why that is?

Actually I was kidding about the extended line on one side. I believe
Geese can fly a perfect V with equal sides if they desire to do so.

LOL, "desire to", Geese have about the same IQ as Bertie,

Still four times your's...

(but at least they actually do fly). I've seen formations like

/
/\
/ \

and even more complicated.
I design EAR's as in this link,
http://www.trak4.com/earco/index.html
There's a bit of a story there about Geese.
Got loon sounds there.

I vaguely recall some time ago someone telling me that Geese use the
same sort of formation strategy as NASCAR drivers drafting on a super
speedway. The formation creates less overall drag than individuals
flying alone. This enables them to use less energy flying and they
can extend their range this way.

There was a movie about a guy who trained geese
to migrate using an ultra light.

Why, you gonna train some with your MSFS?

Bertie
Old May 28th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message

LOL, "desire to", Geese have about the same IQ as Bertie,
(but at least they actually do fly). I've seen formations like

You are under estimating geese, and give Bertie far too much credit.

Old May 28th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Tim Blite" wrote in message

I vaguely recall some time ago someone telling me that Geese use the
same sort of formation strategy as NASCAR drivers drafting on a super
speedway. The formation creates less overall drag than individuals
flying alone. This enables them to use less energy flying and they can
extend their range this way.

Dudley is an expert in a lot of things he knows nothing about.

Slightly related Denny Piloting 1 August 23rd 07 08:05 PM
slightly OT - NASA ER-2 Skywise Piloting 23 April 25th 06 12:36 AM
For Sale - Slightly Used AK-450 ELT Paul Remde Soaring 1 March 18th 06 01:13 PM