Wacky question-plane and bass!!

Old May 17th 04, 09:32 PM
Frode Berg

Default Wacky question-plane and bass!!

Hi all!

I am a co-owner of a 1968 Piper Arrow. (180 hp)
I am also a professional musician, and I play bass, both electric bass
guitar, and the big old doghouse upright bass.
Needless to say, I would like to be able to fly to my gigs whenever
possible, but fitting a double bass in a P28R seems like a tough
call....or...? The electric bass with a small amp is no problem, but much of
my work is on the upright...

Has anyone any experience with this?
Heck, I don't even know If it would fit through the door, never tried, but
for it to work at all, I'd need some sort of foldable seats in the rear, and
let the neck come between the front seats in some way.

Does anyone on this list know any bass players, or happen to be one, and
which planes would an upright bass fit in...?

Thanks for reading this absurd question..

Frode Berg
www.frodeberg.com

Old May 17th 04, 09:44 PM
Jeremy Lew

One of the guys in my flying club plays the double bass profesionally. When
he has to go somewhere with it, he rents the local Cherokee Six, it will not
fit in our Warrior.

Old May 17th 04, 10:21 PM
Frode Berg

Hi!

Thanks!

How does he put it inside?
Does he strap it in some way? Take out some seats?

Frode

"Jeremy Lew" skrev i melding

Old May 17th 04, 10:35 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Frode Berg" said:
How does he put it inside?
Does he strap it in some way? Take out some seats?

Some Cherokee 6's have club seating. It would go in very easily in that
situation. Just toss it in, maybe loop a seat belt around it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Oh, NT is reliable. You can count on it to keel over under just any
Old May 17th 04, 11:58 PM
John Harlow

Maybe you can fit one of these in there... http://ebass.nl/

Old May 18th 04, 12:32 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Frode Berg wrote:

Does anyone on this list know any bass players, or happen to be one, and
which planes would an upright bass fit in...?

It would probably fit in a Maule with the rear seat and right reat removed.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.
Old May 18th 04, 02:56 AM
Steve Foley

If it's the same club I was in (East Coast Aero Club) , he took out a rear
seat.

Twice when I used it there was a seat missing. I only needed five seats, so
didn't bother walking back inside to fetch it.

Old May 18th 04, 03:08 AM
Richard Hertz

Try the grumman tiger or cheetah. The rear seats fold down and the canopy
provides a HUGE entrance to the plane. I can put a passenger and two bikes
in the plane and I wave out of the canopy at the gawking, jealous pilots as
I taxi by...

Old May 18th 04, 11:23 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Frode Berg wrote:
Has anyone any experience with this?
Heck, I don't even know If it would fit through the door, never tried, but
for it to work at all, I'd need some sort of foldable seats in the rear, and
let the neck come between the front seats in some way.

I've not flown with a double bass, but I do play the keyboard. When
I was living in Houston, I took my Roland A-90 keyboard + amp + speakers
up to Pinckneyville, IL. for the flyin (a 600nm trip). The A-90 has
a fullsize piano keyboard, and it's weighted so the sucker is heavy.

Before the trip, I measured the inside of the Bonanza's cabin (I was
taking an S-35 Bonanza up there). It was easily bigh enough, and the
back seats could be folded down flat.

Then on the morning of the departure, I got the enormous keyboard
in its case out of my truck, and then wondered how I was going to
actually get it in the hole that the open door offered! I didn't think
of that. Duh!

After a little thought, I found that if I opened the door wide, I could
feed in the keyboard in its case from in front of the aircraft, angled
down, so it went in at the right angle. It wasn't too difficult (apart
from having to stand on the wing trying to manoevre a large, heavy
object). I tied it down with a bicycle security chain connected to the
rear seatbelts. Flew it up there and back fine.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net