Full deflection = missed approach ???

Old October 13th 05, 12:43 AM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"pgbnh" wrote in message

I did not say that it is ALWAYS the right thing to do. Sometimes, yes.
Sometimes, no. If there is a requirement someplace, then that would seem
to trump my making the decison to recover the approach when I have decided
that that is a safe thing to do.

So yes, it DOES make a difference

When is it not the right thing to do?

As you know, when first being vectored for the ILS, most times the
glideslope will be pegged.

--
Peter

Old October 13th 05, 03:31 AM
Mike Rapoport

If you have full scale deflection, you may not even be on the approach
anymore, but I am unaware of any regulatory requirment to initiate the
missed. If you see full deflection you should probably train some because
you are not competent.

Mike
MU-2

"pgbnh" wrote in message
I did not say that it is ALWAYS the right thing to do. Sometimes, yes.
Sometimes, no. If there is a requirement someplace, then that would seem to
trump my making the decison to recover the approach when I have decided
that that is a safe thing to do.

So yes, it DOES make a difference
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"pgbnh" wrote in message

It is common wisdom, and often common sense, that if a full deflection
of a CDI (or GS) is experienced, a missed approach is to be flown. But a
lot of people seem to think that it is REQUIRED. I have had a CFII tell
me it is required. But I can not find anything in FAR or AIM that states
such a requirement.

Again, in a lot of cases I can understand why to do it. But I can also
imagine others where it might make just as much sense to recover the
approach and not go missed.

Can anyone point me at a rule that requires a missed?

If you agree it's the proper thing to do, does it matter if it's required
or not?

Old October 13th 05, 10:35 AM

Mike Rapoport wrote:

If you have full scale deflection, you may not even be on the approach
anymore, but I am unaware of any regulatory requirment to initiate the
missed. If you see full deflection you should probably train some because
you are not competent.

Sure, you are no longer flying the courses and/or altitudes specified on the
approach chart, which come from the Form 8260-3/5 that is an amendment to FAR
97.

Old October 13th 05, 02:36 PM
jmk

I see another case where, while you may want to abandon the approach,
you may not want to automatically fly the missed approach. The issue
would be a full L/R deflection, especially significantly before the
MAP, in mountainous terrain. A missed approach procedure which calls
for a left or right climbing turn may put you into the granite, where
the correct option would be to get back closer to the centerline and
maybe closer to the official MAP point first.

Old October 13th 05, 03:23 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Greg Farris wrote:
In article .net,
says...

in an emergency, say low on fuel and not able to do a missed and another
approach.

Well, I guess this pilot wouldn't be too worried about one more violation of
FAR's, would they!

Which FAR? Your answer presupposes that it's a violation of the FARs, but
you haven't shared which one applies here.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
Old October 13th 05, 05:28 PM
Curtis Dean Smith

This happened to me just the other day. The FAF of a VOR approach is
the station, so the needle goes full deflection as you reach FAF. You
then have to wait until about 1/3 of the way to MAP before it comes
back in. As long as you were stabilized before loosing the needle,
you just have to stick it out. Of course, one problem is that, with
strong winds, you begin your dive at the FAF, winds shift, and you may
very well come out quite a bit off the center.