Aircraft info

Old December 20th 03, 08:01 PM
Paul

Default Aircraft info

Where do pilot's get their POH's from?
What other material is normally available that provides info on an
aircraft besides the POH?

I'm not a pilot (yet) but would like to get my hands on a POH for a
Bombardier Global Express (BD-700) and Cirrus SR22 so that I can model
them in a scientifically oriented flight simulator.

I'm interested in the aircraft's physical dimensions and shape, the
systems and how they operate (electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, etc),
the cockpit layout as well as the aircraft performance specs.
Is this all normally in a POH or are their other documents as well?

Who must I ask and what must I ask for?
Oh, and how much does this sort of info normally cost?

Thanks
Paul

Old December 20th 03, 08:18 PM
Ron Natalie

"Paul" wrote in message
Where do pilot's get their POH's from?

It generally comes with the aircraft, replacements come from the
manufacturer.

Old December 20th 03, 10:35 PM
Andrew Burke

The Sirrus POH is available as a PDF that you can download from their
website.

Andy

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old December 20th 03, 11:46 PM
C J Campbell

Try the aircraft manuals section of http://www.esscoaircraft.com/

Old December 21st 03, 07:31 AM
Paul

Nomen Nescio wrote:
Everything that you are specifically asking for IS available in the POH.

Great! So I'm looking in the right direction at least.

But to try and model
them accurately in a flight simulator will take a LOT more information. Two different aircraft
with basically the same numbers and systems can fly completely different from each other.
Hell, Microsoft has been trying for years and still can't mathematically model an aircraft
accurately. Design Engineers have been trying to model aircraft in computers for years and
yet test pilots still get an awful lot of surprises in the prototypes.
What's the intended purpose for your simulator, because that will determine how accurately
you really need to model them?

The aircraft does not need to "feel" exactly right.
What I'm trying to model is the performance and aircraft systems so that
the aircraft takes off, climbs, cruises, etc according to specs.

I know that it is near to impossible to simulate roll rates, adverse
yaw, etc accurately.

A lot of focus will go into the modeling of the aircraft systems and
intrumentation. It will be more procedure orientated like Fly! was.

Are you trying to do this from scratch, or are you talking about working in something like
"X-Plane"?

I'll be using FlightGear to do the modeling and simulation.

Paul

Old December 21st 03, 09:26 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-12-20 12:01:07 -0800, Paul said:

I'm not a pilot (yet) but would like to get my hands on a POH for a
Bombardier Global Express (BD-700)

Check out eBay. Sometimes pilots who have been through training and have
and extra manual or two will put them up for auction there. I'd be surprised if
you could find one anywhere else other than Bombardier or one of the usual
training centers, and coming from any of those sources, it will cost you quite a bit.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA