Got my ticket.... now what (the cross-country question)

Old July 10th 03, 12:06 AM
bdl

Default Got my ticket.... now what (the cross-country question)

Blah Blah blah

Argggh.. thats what I get for attempting to post with Google. I meant for
this to be a MUCH longer message. And for it to make a little more sense.
Interesting how helpful the r.a.piloting group is, that everybody knew what
I was thinknig though and gave me answers anyway! I would have explected
large uproarious flames in another newsgroup for something even close to as
stupid as I was.

I've been a lurker on these groups for over a year, and just want to thank
all the wonderful advice and discussions that have gone on here. It really
intensifies the training, and would keep me thinking. More than once I would
see a question posted in here, think to myself, now what if that question
was part of your oral? And go digging into the FAR's, or the AIM, or the
POH.

I got my ticket 6/17/03, and to date I've done the "take my family for
rides" thing. But that can get old fast.

I'm based on the North side of St. Louis (3SQ). I guess I'm looking for
"interesting" cross-country flights in the Missouri, Iowa, Illinois,
Arkansas, Tennesee area. Any "must visit" places? Any good restaraunts,
etc. And yes Jay, I know about the Alexis Park Inn, and its a definite
planned stop for a weekend at some point. (Already worked a sample flight
plan).

My in-laws live in the Chicago area (5 mintues from ORD) and eventually
we'll be doing a weekend trip up there, but I want to do a few shorter trips
first (~1 hour v.s. the 2.5 to Chicago). Both to build up experience in
x-country flying and to get my wife more used to the idea of flying for
longer stretches and for travel.

Basically flying too someplace (so that my wife can see the advantages of GA
travel) rather than just flying to someplace for the sake of flying.

Any personal experiences anybody would like to share?

Brian

Old July 10th 03, 01:27 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

bdl wrote:

I'm based on the North side of St. Louis (3SQ). I guess I'm looking for
"interesting" cross-country flights in the Missouri, Iowa, Illinois,
Arkansas, Tennesee area. Any "must visit" places? Any good restaraunts,
etc.

Ah, you're right in my neck of the woods, I can help

A nice short trip is Lake of the Ozarks. Two airports. The smaller,
K15 (Grand Glaize), has a very nice Italian restaurant/antique mall/brew
pub at the end of the runway. You can also request Unicom to call
the van for Tan Tara resort, and go play a game of golf, miniature
golf, swim, take a boat cruise, have dinner, dance, or stay for
the weekend. Tan Tara has a somewhat pricy but superb Sunday
brunch. I believe there's a boat cruise afterwards. BK (before
kids) DH and I liked to fly down on Fri or Sat eve, have dinner,
dance to live music, then fly back under a nice full moon. They
also have an arcade of little shops. About an hour or so away.

The larger, AIZ, used to (at least) have a courtesy car. It's
got a wonderful lodge with a fireplace. But, it's further away
from everything.

For a less pricy Sunday brunch, fly in the other direction and
try MVN (Mount Vernon, IL). The restaurant is right in the terminal
building. About 50 minutes. Nothing fancy.

SIK Sikeston MO is a "must go" on the 100 dollar hamburger list.
Lambert's Cafe will pick you up at the airport and roll out the
red carpet for you (if there's a long line, you won't be asked to
wait in it). About an hour and a quarter.

A little further on are the two Kentucky State Resort Parks,
Kentucky Dam and Lake Barkley (1M9). Both will pick you up at the
airport in a van. You can spend the day, rent a boat, swim, eat,
camp, stay at the lodge. I prefer Lake Barkley which has a beautiful
indoor "health center" with pool, spa, etc. Free to guests but
you can pay a fee for day use. About an hour and a half--hour
and 45.

Some folks like Branson. If your wife likes shopping, could be
worth flying into PLK, renting a car, touring the outlets, maybe
taking in a show. About 2 - 2 1/4 hrs.

How do you feel about grass? Two very nice trips are Amana, IA
(Amana colonies, great food and great shopping and tourist
attraction) up by Jay in Iowa City, or in the other direction
Gaston's Resort in N. Arkansas.

Also a little further away in N. Arkansas, check out Mountain Home
or Eureka Springs.

Going a little further afield -- about 3 hrs-ish check out Bowling
Green KY and visit Mammoth Cave (BWG). Or try Coshocton, Ohio
(I40) and visit Roscoe Village (~3 1/2 hrs). Head NW and check out
Pioneer Village in Minden, NE (0V3) (again 3 1/2 hrs) Go a bit further
-- depending on winds might need a fuel stop -- and try whitewater
rafting on the Ocoee from Copperhill, TN (1A3 I think). All places
well worth a weekend IMO.

Niagara Falls (IAG) is about a 5 1/2-6 hr flight. A good fuel
stop is around Sidney, OH (I12). Very nice folks, will lend you
a courtesy car to take into town for food. Just something to think about.

I could go on a bit but perhaps that'll do for starters? Any further
questions, just ask.

Hope this helps,
Sydney

Old July 10th 03, 01:33 AM
Casey Wilson

Basically flying too someplace (so that my wife can see the advantages of

GA
travel) rather than just flying to someplace for the sake of flying.

Any personal experiences anybody would like to share?

Brian

Well, let's see. After I regained my currency last year after a 26-year
layoff, I cajoled the wife into climbing into a 172SP for a trip to visit
our daughter and grandkids in northern California. It was my luck that the
day was CAVU in stable air. What used to be a 9-10 hour drive on the
Interstate-5 was reduced to a 2 1/2 hour sightseeing trip at 8,500 up the
San Joaquin Valley.
On the way north, I put the sectional in her lap, pointed out a few
landmarks, and asked her to help me navigate. Southbound three days later, I
spieled out some stuff about the KLN-89B GPS and pointed out how the course
line on the GPS was supposed to coincide with the pencil line on the chart
and her job was now to help me make sure we didn't wander (never mind the
coupled autopilot). A couple weeks later she suggested we fly to Prescott,
Arizona, to visit some friends. She had previously nixed a trip because the
drive was too long.
Next year we'll probably visit my brothers in Texas and Florida, or her
sister and brother in Alaska. Alaska depends on whether I have my instrument
rating by then.
She has the picture. She is quick to tell people we don't do long trips
on the highway -- no mo. She has no interest in stick-time but is willing to
put feet on the pedals and fingers on the yoke for a few minutes to let me
take care of minor things (never mind the autopilot). Probably won't let me
take a nap.

Old July 11th 03, 08:10 PM
Peter R.

bdl ) wrote:

snip
Basically flying too someplace (so that my wife can see the advantages of GA
travel) rather than just flying to someplace for the sake of flying.

Any personal experiences anybody would like to share?

Further into the future, if you get an instrument rating and accumulate 300
total hrs, you should consider joining an Angel Flight organization (or
other similar organization) as a volunteer pilot. Pilots volunteer their
time, aircraft (rental or owned), and all costs to fly people with no
financial means who have some medical need to be somewhere else.

I did not even know about any of these groups until about six months after
my PPL (last year). Since then, I used their requirements (instrument
rating and 300 hrs) as a goal to meet. Like you, I grew tired of the "fly
to a far-away restaurant without a purpose other than flying." I wanted to
periodically have a purpose to fly long XCs.

To date, I have only flown two missions, but it has really opened my eyes
to a whole new world of flying. My first mission had me flying through NY
City's busy class-B airspace and my second (yesterday) had me landing my
little C172 at BWI (Baltimore/Washington International)! Not sure I would
have ever experienced either of these at this stage of my experiences if it
were not for this cause.

Just today I received an email from Angel Flight East that they are in need
of a pilot or pilots to fly a terminally ill man to his daughter's wedding.
He cannot travel via commercial airlines due to the damaging effects of
chemo on his immune system. The wedding had been changed to an earlier
date because of his deteriorating condition. The email went on to mention
that attending his daughter's wedding will most likely be his last act
before dying.

Unfortunately the combined weight of the two passengers plus luggage was
too great for my C172 to practically travel the distance needed (US: mid-PA
to Orlando, FL), or else I would have dropped everything to fly it.

Here is one of the many links for more info:

http://www.angelflighteast.org/afe/FAQ.htm

--
Peter

Old July 12th 03, 05:47 AM
R. Kennett

My in-laws live in the Chicago area (5 mintues from ORD) and eventually
we'll be doing a weekend trip up there, but I want to do a few shorter trips
first (~1 hour v.s. the 2.5 to Chicago). Both to build up experience in
x-country flying and to get my wife more used to the idea of flying for
longer stretches and for travel.

When you do this Chicago trip you might not exactly want to land at
O'Hare. Paulwakee or Dupage are doable and maybe even Midway if your
feeling a little crazy, but I wouldn't go nowhere near ORD. Anyway, if
you do go into ORD let us know how it went.

Rick
Old July 13th 03, 02:06 AM
bdl

"
Ah, you're right in my neck of the woods, I can help

Exactly what I was looking for Sydney. Thanks so much for your help!

Are you based at SUS?

Brian