A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 21st 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 10:20:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've spent some time reading the FAA's response to the SSA in regards to the IS-28B2 found here, http://www.ssa.org/files/member/FAA%...7%20-%20Signed[2543].pdf

I'm curious how it applies to the 3,000 hour service life extension for say a Schleicher ASW-15 sailplane.


I have the same question about a DG-200. Is a service life extension required in the US?
Ads
  #2  
Old June 22nd 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,738
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 3:17:56 PM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote:
On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 10:20:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've spent some time reading the FAA's response to the SSA in regards to the IS-28B2 found here, http://www.ssa.org/files/member/FAA%...7%20-%20Signed[2543].pdf

I'm curious how it applies to the 3,000 hour service life extension for say a Schleicher ASW-15 sailplane.


I have the same question about a DG-200. Is a service life extension required in the US?


The Lark was life limited. It did not have a provision for service life extension. The FAA provided a way to extend life by condition, as I recall.
The other manufacturers do have that provision so owners have to comply with the inspection specified to ensure continued airworthiness.
UH
  #3  
Old June 22nd 18, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?


The Lark was life limited. It did not have a provision for service life extension. The FAA provided a way to extend life by condition, as I recall.
The other manufacturers do have that provision so owners have to comply with the inspection specified to ensure continued airworthiness.
UH


Thank you for the confirmation. If anyone has gone through the 3000h inspection process for a DG, I'd appreciate any information you can share.

Chris
  #4  
Old June 23rd 18, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,738
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 8:37:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 3:17:56 PM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote:
On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 10:20:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've spent some time reading the FAA's response to the SSA in regards to the IS-28B2 found here, http://www.ssa.org/files/member/FAA%...7%20-%20Signed[2543].pdf

I'm curious how it applies to the 3,000 hour service life extension for say a Schleicher ASW-15 sailplane.


I have the same question about a DG-200. Is a service life extension required in the US?


The Lark was life limited. It did not have a provision for service life extension. The FAA provided a way to extend life by condition, as I recall.
The other manufacturers do have that provision so owners have to comply with the inspection specified to ensure continued airworthiness.
UH


For accuracy, as opposed to my recollection with respect to the Lark see:
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/FAA%...7%20-%20Signed[2543].pdf

UH
  #5  
Old June 23rd 18, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 161
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 4:44:43 AM UTC-7, Chris Snyder wrote:
The Lark was life limited. It did not have a provision for service life extension. The FAA provided a way to extend life by condition, as I recall..
The other manufacturers do have that provision so owners have to comply with the inspection specified to ensure continued airworthiness.
UH


Thank you for the confirmation. If anyone has gone through the 3000h inspection process for a DG, I'd appreciate any information you can share.

Chris


Hi Chris,

We did a 3000hr inspection on a DG100G with the assistance of Rex at Williams Soaring. It took about a day to go through everything. Nothing really too difficult or special, just checking and comparing things to their specifications. The hassle of course is paying the service fee and then buying the inspection form. But beyond that, it's just like doing an extensive annual where you're doing some measurement of play in control circuits or throw of ailerons.


Morgan
  #6  
Old June 24th 18, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?

Wow, you dont do all control throws at every annual, its mandatory here in Oz.
  #7  
Old June 24th 18, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 423
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in the US?

On Sunday, 24 June 2018 04:18:48 UTC+3, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Wow, you dont do all control throws at every annual, its mandatory here in Oz.


I did once to a factory new Discus 2 (first annual). Aileron throw was way out of spec. After that measuring these did not seem so important anymore...
  #8  
Old June 24th 18, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default 3,000 hour inspection for Schleicher sailplanes, required in theUS?

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 18:18:46 -0700, Charlie Quebec wrote:

Wow, you dont do all control throws at every annual, its mandatory here
in Oz.


Same in the UK.




--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transponder Inspection Not Required? Chip Bearden Soaring 14 May 8th 08 07:38 PM
Mandatory inspection of Schleicher wooden gliders. W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\). Soaring 2 June 7th 05 10:15 PM
Service Manual - 50 hour inspection O. Sami Saydjari Owning 1 April 8th 04 03:17 PM
100 Hour Inspection Question FryGuy General Aviation 59 November 19th 03 04:01 AM
100 Hour Inspection Question FryGuy Piloting 58 November 19th 03 04:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.