Conditions right tonight for frequency skipping in the NE US

Old August 18th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Conditions right tonight for frequency skipping in the NE US

This evening I flew from Buffalo, NY, down to Cleveland, over to
Binghamton, NY, and back home to Syracuse for an Angel Flight. Total time
in the air was probably 3 hours just before sunset.

At first I thought something was wrong with my Garmin GNS430 radio because
I kept hearing numerous pilot-side communications, but no ATC. This
happened on the Buffalo departure frequency, the Erie, PA, approach, and
the Cleveland approach frequencies.

Just after departing Cleveland, I heard this again, but this time I caught
a check-in. The pilot mentioned Chicago Center and it finally became clear
to me that I was hearing pilots from 600 to 1,000 miles away.

Is this phenomenon called skipping? What causes such a large outbreak of
this, high clouds or something else? A very interesting evening, as it was
occurring on just about all of the center and approach frequencies that I
was monitoring.

--
Peter
Old August 18th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Is this phenomenon called skipping? What causes such a large outbreak of
this, high clouds or something else? A very interesting evening, as it was
occurring on just about all of the center and approach frequencies that I
was monitoring.

Skipping, ducting, different places call it different things.
Solar radiation affects the ionosphere, causing the various layers to
rise or descend. Depending on the frequency and the ionosphere layer,
the radio signal will make a single bounce/reflect or may become
temporarily trapped between two layers and bounce/reflect off the top
and bottom before escaping some distance from the source.
Old August 18th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

Is this phenomenon called skipping?

IIRC, it's called "skip zone phenomenon."

I can recall more than one occasion, when I was stationed at Cherry
Point, NC in the early '50s, receiving a Puerto Rican TV station.
(VHF TV stations broadcast on frequencies very close to those used by
Aviation.)

vince norris

Old August 18th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Not so. Channels 2-6 occupy the band 54-88 MHz., while channels 7-13 occupy
174-216 MHz.. Neither one is remotely close to the aviation band.

In the late summer, we generally get decent skip propagation due to sunspot
activity directly overhead the USA, but the sunspot cycle isn't all that
high right now. What the OP heard was truly a very rare phenomenon. Most
of the time, the skip doesn't get to 30 MHz. Sometimes to 50. Rarely to
150 (listening to New York taxicabs in Los Angeles). Rare indeed.

Jim

Old August 18th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

Depending on the frequency and the ionosphere layer,
the radio signal will make a single bounce/reflect or may become
temporarily trapped between two layers and bounce/reflect off the top
and bottom before escaping some distance from the source.

Now that I thought about it some more, the frequencies that were picking up
the skipping transmissions were between 120.30 and 128.00 or so, which
included Erie approach, Syracuse approach, Buffalo approach, and sections
of Cleveland center.

--
Peter
Old August 18th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Here near St Louis I was seeing skip last night all the way up to TV
channel 9, which is 187 mHz.
--
Gene Seibel KB0NNN
http://pad39a.com/gene/broadcast.html

Old August 18th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:
[...]

A large solar flare is hitting earth right now... visit
http://www.spaceweather.com to learn more...

Dean

Old August 19th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

(VHF TV stations broadcast on frequencies very close to those used by
Aviation.)

Not so. Channels 2-6 occupy the band 54-88 MHz., while channels 7-13 occupy
174-216 MHz.. Neither one is remotely close to the aviation band.

Well, if I remember correctly, the frequencies I use to talk to a
tower, or approach control, or center, or tune in a VOR or an ILS, are
BETWEEN 88 MHz and 174 MHz.

That is, between channel 6 and channel 7. Seems to me that justifies
saying they are " close." Perhaps I should have omitted the "very."

A nearby VOR is on 108.8, as I recall. That's less than 21 Mhz. from
88 MHz. When we're meassuring in megas, isn't that "close" enough?

BTW, after all these years, I have no recollection of which channel it
was on which we could pick up Puerto rico.

vince norris

Old August 19th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:

Is $88 million close to $108 million? Only if you're in congress, imho.

Jim

Jim,

I'll be happy with either amount. Shall I provide you an address to
which to send the check? :-)

Matt