Air restart in PA30

Old August 2nd 03, 06:49 PM
Bob Gardner

The MEL PTS calls for a complete feather during the checkride...Area XI,
Task A.

Bob Gardner

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
The tip is to never shut down a good engine in flight... You can test the
feathering on the ground - that is how the mechanic / prop shop does it...
If the engine actually fails in flight there won't be a restart anyway so
there is no defensible reason to put the plane at such risk, for no
reason...

Denny

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message
As part of a "debugging" process yesterday, chasing a collection of

minor
issues, we tested the feathering of the left engine of our Twin

Comanche,
which had appeared significantly slower than the right one. It seemed

feather fine, with the prop stopping in about 10 seconds.

Unfortunately, it didn't restart fine. I was very close to a "uh, we've
painted ourselves into a corner, here" call to ATC and a real engine-out
arrival, when at the 6th attempt in a 1000 fpm dive at 130 KIAS it

finally
came back to life. Fortunately we'd been careful to get ourselves plenty

of
altitude before the shutdown.

Any tips on air restarts from the other PA30 drivers out there? I think

we
followed the POH to the letter, in particular, mixture RICH for the

start.
Is that really best? Why does it differ from the ground start procedure?

Julian Scarfe