The best new thing I saw at OSH...

Old August 1st 03, 04:16 PM
Dan Luke

Default The best new thing I saw at OSH...

....was Van's new, four-place RV-10. They had a cockpit mockup outside the
tent for the tirekickers to sit in. The roominess is truly impressive,
especially the rear seats which hold two six-footers in comfort. Van is
projecting an 1100 lb. useful load for the airplane if you build it light.
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10spe.htm

The formal introduction of the airplane was jammed on Wednesday. When the
crowd was asked how many had already ordered empennage/rear fuse. kits, a
dozen hands went up. When we were asked how many were thinking about
ordering one, a hundred hands went up (mine included). Van was smiling.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 1st 03, 04:28 PM
Jeff Franks

I've been watching the -10 from afar to see how it comes out. I'm glad to
hear that the cabin is that big. The -7 has been on my watch list for a
couple years now and seems to be quite impressive itself. In a couple of
years....I'm gonna do one or the other.....

BTW, if your into homebuilt, check out www.rvproject.com. This guy is one
of many people logging his progress online (he's a RV-7 builder). He does
an EXCELLENT job of documenting his process. I check his site daily for
updates and *almost* feel like I'm part of the building.

Jeff

Old August 2nd 03, 08:48 PM
Al Gilson

Also saw the RV-10 at Arlington. Same result. Van was also smiling.

Al Gilson
1964 Skyhawk

in article , Dan Luke at

Old August 3rd 03, 01:14 AM
Doug Vetter

Jeff Franks wrote:
I've been watching the -10 from afar to see how it comes out. I'm glad to
hear that the cabin is that big. The -7 has been on my watch list for a
couple years now and seems to be quite impressive itself. In a couple of
years....I'm gonna do one or the other.....

BTW, if your into homebuilt, check out www.rvproject.com. This guy is one
of many people logging his progress online (he's a RV-7 builder). He does
an EXCELLENT job of documenting his process. I check his site daily for
updates and *almost* feel like I'm part of the building.

Yup. That's Dan Checkoway's site. I found it about a month ago and I've
been riveted to it since then (sorry, had to use that pun at least once
in a public aviation forum). I've had some great email conversations
with him regarding the process, as well as the quickbuild vs. slowbuild
issues, and he's been really helpful.

If he's typical of the RV builder's community (and I think he is), this
is definitely the aircraft to build, assuming you don't have a
preference for composites and can rope in a friend or two to help you
rivet those tough spots.

The one thing I can't figure out is how the hell he finds the time in
the day to do his "real job" (as he puts it), build an airplane while
doing the photojournalist thing, maintain the site, keep Jen (the wife)
happy AND SLEEP.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com

Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Owning 14 January 19th 05 10:17 PM
Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Military Aviation 9 August 31st 04 11:01 PM
One thing leads to another... Jay Honeck Owning 11 December 5th 03 05:05 AM
SUV thing Fastglasair Home Built 4 July 12th 03 05:32 AM
Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Piloting 0 July 2nd 03 11:58 PM