Angel Flight pilots: Ever have an FBO refuse to wave landing fees?

Old August 1st 03, 02:49 PM
James M. Knox

Peter R. wrote in
ds.com:

This policy and the attitude of the FBO irked me. So far, everywhere
I have landed, including Boston's Logan airport and Baltimore
Washington, have happily waived landing fees
Have others encountered a no-wave policy?

Just once -- Branson MO (but they are most definitely in it for the money
anyway). G

Note that there is a big difference between "landing fees" and "ramp
fees" - even though you often pay for them together. The ramp fee (of
which Signature is so fond of, but will waive with advance notice for Angel
Flight) is something THEY collect for you placing your shadow on THEIR
tarmac, and THEY keep in THEIR coffers.

A true landing fee, which is in itself much less common, is charged by the
airport authority. It may be collected by the FBO, but it is not theirs to
keep. As a result, some counter jockey may indeed have no authority to
waive it, regardless of desire.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old August 2nd 03, 01:20 AM
Ray Bengen

There's no question you're right. Even the all-most-powerful Port Authority
of NY/NJ waives fees. I won't use PNE cos they refuse to waive the landing
fee. Not the FBO, the airport. I think it's wrong in principle.
Principle. If others feel it's fine, then pay it. I don't think it's
right. For what we do, everyone wants to contribute. PNE and others should
also contribute.

That's my opinion and that's how I work it.

If an airport charges me a landing fee on a charitable flight, I won't land
there.

Ray

"Peter R." wrote in message
ds.com...
Last night I flew an Angel Flight mission to Buffalo, NY from Northeast
Philadelphia.

When I arrived at the only FBO in Buffalo (Prior Aviation), I was

initially
told by the woman behind the counter that under NO circumstances are the
landing fees waived, Angel Flight or not. After politely asking her to
reconsider, she did wave the fees but admitted that she was going against
policy and for me not to expect it again. She then told me that the land
on which the Buffalo airport resides is owned by "the Transportation
Authority" or "Port Authority" and it is they who are responsible for the
fees.

This policy and the attitude of the FBO irked me. So far, everywhere I
have landed, including Boston's Logan airport and Baltimore Washington,
have happily waived landing fees up to $100 (US) *and* some even offered
fuel discounts for Angel Flights.

Have others encountered a no-wave policy?

I would hope that these FBOs are rare and that with a little pressure from
Angel Flight's main organization, FBOs such as Prior could be convinced to
forgo landing fee profits for charitable flights such as these.

--
Peter