Birds in the hangar

Old November 4th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Default Birds in the hangar

Our club is discussing what we can do to deter birds from perching in our hangar and messing up our aircraft. Can anyone recommend a technique? Are there any methods which have not worked?

The birds are small, probably swallows.

Thanks Ben
Old November 4th 16, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can the hangar be effectively sealed? By which I mean are the doors tight fitting enough that closing them, sealing cracks and putting grilles on vents etc. make it pretty much impossible for birds to get in and out? That was what worked well for someone I know who has a hangar and had this problem. Swallows might respond well to properly designed birdhouses on the field as a way to keep them out of the hangar too. Swallows eat a lot of insects and are fun to watch flying around so if you can figure out a way that keeps them in the area but not crapping on the gliders it's well worth some effort.
Old November 4th 16, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Probably not for our main hanger. It is roughly 25x25m (or more) and holds around 13 gliders. Of course anything can be done but probably looking for something less daunting.
Regards Ben
Old November 4th 16, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 4 November 2016 11:29:39 UTC+2, Ben Coleman wrote:
Probably not for our main hanger. It is roughly 25x25m (or more) and holds around 13 gliders. Of course anything can be done but probably looking for something less daunting.
Regards Ben

How effective are those rotating reflective prisms that one can see mounted on the top of buildings?
Example: http://www.birdbarrier.com/content/2...ered-versions/
Old November 4th 16, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have an electronic deterrent that makes a high frequency sound the birds don't like. All people can hear is an intermittent clicking noise. It seems to work, the birds hardly crap on our lawnmowers at all! (We tie down our all metal fleet.)
Google: Bird-x qb4 electronic bird repeller.
Old November 4th 16, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 9:43:22 PM UTC-4, Ben Coleman wrote:
Our club is discussing what we can do to deter birds from perching in our hangar and messing up our aircraft. Can anyone recommend a technique? Are there any methods which have not worked?

The birds are small, probably swallows.

Thanks Ben

The birds (pigeons) in our hangar died suddenly from high velocity lead poisoning.

Uli
Old November 4th 16, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 5:43:22 PM UTC-8, Ben Coleman wrote:
Our club is discussing what we can do to deter birds from perching in our hangar and messing up our aircraft. Can anyone recommend a technique? Are there any methods which have not worked?

The birds are small, probably swallows.

Thanks Ben

You might try keeping a light on in the hangar.
I put a LED floog light in the hangar and left it on 27/7 and the birds have not returned.
bob
Old November 4th 16, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 8:43:22 PM UTC-5, Ben Coleman wrote:
Our club is discussing what we can do to deter birds from perching in our hangar and messing up our aircraft. Can anyone recommend a technique? Are there any methods which have not worked?

The birds are small, probably swallows.

Thanks Ben

We have used the Bird X QuadBlaster QB-4 for over a decade, works very well keeping birds out of the hanger, Emits a very high pitch series of sound pulses that most people can not hear, some younger people can detect it and find it annoying. This devise is not cheap around $550.00. we have it mounted on a side wall of a 60 x 60 hanger. Installed a on off wall switch to shut it down when necessary. Web site URL http://www.bird-x.com/quadblaster-qb...hp?page_id=103
Old November 4th 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 6:38:35 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
The birds (pigeons) in our hangar died suddenly from high velocity lead poisoning.

Oddly, the roof started leaking just afterwards...
Old November 4th 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon[_2_]

On 11/4/2016 9:36 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 6:38:35 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
The birds (pigeons) in our hangar died suddenly from high velocity lead poisoning.

Oddly, the roof started leaking just afterwards...

Actually, farmers solved that problem many decades ago. Just use the
correct ammo.
http://www.basspro.com/Federal-GameS...0829053330614/

Two Birds Avsec Aviation Photos 2 January 29th 08 02:19 PM
Birds, Birds, Birds! Kyle Boatright Piloting 4 October 30th 07 05:04 PM
Are birds IFR? Kevin Clarke Instrument Flight Rules 28 September 30th 06 08:57 PM
The BIRDS Kyle Boatright Piloting 29 March 5th 06 12:50 PM
Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 02:27 PM