Interesting modification to an SGS 2-32

Old January 6th 17, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default Interesting modification to an SGS 2-32

http://airfactsjournal.com/2017/01/a...arbird-flight/
Old January 6th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 8:31:41 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
http://airfactsjournal.com/2017/01/a...arbird-flight/

Last seen at Tanner Hiller Airport in MA
Old January 8th 17, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blue Whale

Here's a link to a picture of the Q-Star at Tanner Hiller from a decade ago. Don't remember who bought it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Vk?usp=sharing
Old January 8th 17, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:05:49 PM UTC-6, Blue Whale wrote:
Here's a link to a picture of the Q-Star at Tanner Hiller from a decade ago. Don't remember who bought it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Vk?usp=sharing

Currently registered to John Bingham in Leawood, Kansas. And you probably thought it was going to be me, didn't you?

Steve Leonard
Old January 8th 17, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The recon unit I was in used those converted 2-32's to silently fly low at night and listen to anything Charlie was up to. As I remember, it had a great big muffler, but I believe the idea was too cut the motor and glide in and listen for god knows what.........maybe Charlie roaring in laughter? I always thought it was a crack-pot idea!
JJ
Old January 8th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Stan Hall worked on the YO-3A that Lockheed developed along these same lines. Believe they built the prototype in his garage...
Old January 8th 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 8:31:41 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
http://airfactsjournal.com/2017/01/a...arbird-flight/

I recall seeing it at Barre-Hiller Airport (now called Tanner Hiller) "back in the day". Len Tanner rebuilt a wrecked 2-32 and was going to use it for parts. As I recall though, it had a Wankel engine, not an 0-200 located where the rear seat would be. Fuel bladders in the wings Back then there was a big demand for 2-32s for tourist flying and guys were rebuilding them from really bad wrecks and scrounging everywhere for parts. Tanner rebuilt one and Harry Nikitias did 3. I did the test flying for all 4 rebuilds.
Roy