Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Old January 30th 17, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_10_]

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

I'm hoping some of you might be kind enough to offer some perspective regarding my panel (pic he https://s29.postimg.org/qvb54ydzb/Panel_2.jpg), it's equipped with:
* Cambridge L-NAV computer with vario display, audio vario & gear warning
* Cambridge GPS-NAV flight recorder & LCD navigation display
* Sage mechanical vario

Not pictured:
* Kobo XCSoar tablet (sunlight readable black & white flight computer)
* Android tablet, running Avare, connected to Stratux for traffic & weather

I've been flying gliders one season, and managed to earn the bronze badge. I plan to start on the silver badge this spring, and hope to fly cross country. I've only used the Cambridge as a vario, and it works fine; I imagine it's navigation interface is clunky compared to my tablets. The Kobo XCSoar tablet gives lots of glider flight data, and the Android tablet also runs XCSoar, in case of a Kobo failure.

I imagine some of you have been down this road. Other than the obvious aesthetics, what's the benefit of replacing the Cambridge gear with something like an LXNAV S100?

Thanks,
Paul
Old January 30th 17, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

Other than the aesthetics no advantage at all.

If the LNAV is working spend the money on aerotows.
If you don't have Flarm get one
Then go do loads & loads of flying especially on the iffy days.

PF

=

Old January 30th 17, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

You will want an IGC logger for badge claims, starting with silver. The Cambridge kit should be good for this, but you need to check you can obtain suitable files from it.

If not, the cheapest solution acceptable at silver is likely to be a flight recorder such as ? FR100. And if you get a Flarm unit that may include an approved logger depending on version.

Is the Kobo connected to the LNAV to obtain airspeed and vario data? Flight computers calculate wind more accurately, and the final glide information is therefore more accurate, if they have airspeed data.

XCSOAR on Kobo is a superb in flight information system. But do work hard on the ground to understand it as well as possible
Old January 30th 17, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

I replaced the Cambridge L-Nav, GPS-Nav, electric vario and LCD navigation display with an LxNav S80 and Nano (the S100 wasn't available at the time). I believe the biggest advantage is that it simplified my instrument panel -- three instruments on my panel (and the GPS recorder behind the seat) were all replaced with one 80mm instrument. I have flown with the S80 for two years now and am very happy with its performance. If/when I add Flarm, the S80 will display that information as well.

The S80/S100 also have a nice moving map display for navigation, so you can ditch both of your tablets. Less things to look at inside = more time to scan outside for thermals and traffic.
Old January 30th 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:17:59 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
[...]

The L Nav is an excellent system, though dated. The main reason to replace would be panel space, or the desire to add a full integrated system.
What you have is good enough to do most anything you would want, at least until you get to competition beyond the beginner level.
Fly and have fun
UH
Old January 30th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

maanantai 30. tammikuuta 2017 7.17.59 UTC+2 Paul kirjoitti:

I imagine some of you have been down this road. Other than the obvious aesthetics, what's the benefit of replacing the Cambridge gear with something like an LXNAV S100?

Thanks,
Paul

Add flarm if you fly with other gliders, otherwise you are set-up for serious cross-country. L-Nav is average vario, unfortunately most of the new varios are not better. L-Nav/GPS-Nav is pretty intuitive to use.

For much improved aesthetics you could refinish the panel with nextel paint and new labels.
Old January 30th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 11:17:59 PM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
[...]

Go for a LxNav S100 and an Oudie, nice combination. Pretty state of the art too. May want to also check out the new Nano 4 when they are available, I have a Nano 3 and use it as my primary IGC flight recorder. Downloads IGC traces to my phone then it's a snap to distribute to OLC or where ever.
Old January 30th 17, 07:41 PM
Kevin Brooker Kevin Brooker is offline
Junior Member

I agree with all of the advice given so far especially about saving cash to fly more. The only real downside of keeping the CAI stuff is repair and availability of p[arts. I use the CAI stuff and buy it up as it becomes available so I have parts to keep it going. By now I could have had a fully modern system with the total $$$ spent but it was laid out over years so didn't hurt too much.
Old January 30th 17, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

[...]

the SN10, and CAI303 are both excellent instruments. if you like xcsoar stick with it. as far as a panel upgrade is concerned, you may simply have this one reconfigured and made more pretty.

if you do have it spruced up, think about functionality and what you most actively need. i like to put instruments with buttons on the left side of the panel, so you can use your free hand to manipulate them without having to trade hands on the stick. switches and fuses are also good to have on the left because you can easily access them with your free hand.

also it makes good sense to put more important/pertinent informaion near the top of the panel. specifically, the vario and the airspeed indicator. the altimeter is not needed quite as often. plus, most soaring programs (xc soar, oudie, lx and c-nav) all have altitude readouts on them, and are prominantly displayed.

your currently layout is not bad! i would put the radio into a 57mm hole off center, and move the temperature gauge down to the bottom of the panel. i'd also get rid of that vertical vario thingy (whatever it is) to the right of the altimeter.

That speaker takes up valuable panel space too. it doesn't need to be mounted on the face of the panel, it could be wired to the support bracket behind the panel, or even moved back behind your head. that frees up some space, de-clutters the panel.

those are my thoughts on "panel theory" X-D

hopefully that helps if you decide to have it re-done.

Andy
Old January 30th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 10:52:13 PM UTC+3, ND wrote:
[...]

"Vertical vario thing"

I assumed that's a G meter?

Ventus Panel upgrade Fish Soaring 3 September 12th 06 10:44 PM
Glass panel upgrade to a Turbo Arrow? Tauno Voipio Owning 9 March 12th 06 05:29 AM
panel upgrade from VFR to IFR John Doe Owning 5 September 26th 05 10:05 PM
cost of panel upgrade on bonanza soxinbox Owning 19 October 29th 04 04:35 AM
Beech F-33/B-55 panel upgrade or STC Gordon Rich-Phillips Owning 2 January 14th 04 02:28 PM