US SSA-OLC League new for Summer 2006 Season!

Old April 12th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US SSA-OLC League new for Summer 2006 Season!

The final OLC League rules were just posted to the OLC web site:

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp....php?olc=olc-i

The OLC League is a new feature for the US, and several other
countries. It is a speed competition between clubs with different
leagues for each country. It has been run in Germany for a few years
with very much success.

All clubs and all flights are automatically eneterd in the
OLC-League--there is no need for a separate flight claim. It is a speed
contest, where the best 3 flights are scored for every club each round
(the server looks automatically for the fastest average speed within a
2 1/2 hour window of every flight of each club), the 3 fastest speeds
(divided by the handicap index of the glider) will be added to get the
score for each round. The rounds are each 2-day weekend Beginning April
29 and ending September 3. There is also one 3-day weekend in June (see
the calendar in the rules document).

The club with the highest average speed from the 3 fastest flights gets
50 points for the weekend round. The second fastest club gets 49 points
and so on, down to the 50th club getting 1 point for the weekend. The
club having most points after all competition rounds is the winner of
the OLC-League for each participating country.

One requirement of the OLC-League is that flights to be scored must
take-off at the home airfield of the club. So each club must designate
a home airfield for the OLC League competition. We are assuming this is
the same as the home airfield of the club. But clubs that have multiple
home airfields, or that may want to designate a different competition
airfield, need to get that info to the SSA-OLC committee at
olcatssadotorg (or your country's OLC coordinator for other than US
clubs). We must enter this data by April 21, before the start of
competition for the year.

It is not possible to change the club home airfield after the competion
starts for the year. It is possible for a pilot to change club
affilitaion at any time during the year, however. So if you will be
flying at another location and want to claim flights for the local club
OLC-league, you will need to change your club by editing your user
profile. You can only claim flights to one club at a time.

Old April 13th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug Haluza wrote:
The final OLC League rules were just posted to the OLC web site:

....snip
One requirement of the OLC-League is that flights to be scored must
take-off at the home airfield of the club. So each club must designate
a home airfield for the OLC League competition. We are assuming this is
the same as the home airfield of the club....

The OLC-League sounds great but this rule raises a few questions.

My own club is a very active XC club but our home field is in a hilly
region and it's quite difficult to carry out long or fast flights from
this field. Much of our best XC is done from various camps held during
the year at several other airfields. Why would flights carried out at
these camps (organised and run by the club for many years) not count for
Club points in the OLC-League?

It's actually an academic question since my country's not on the list
but I can't believe that our situation isn't also the case for a number
of Euramerican clubs. For example, this rule restricts the benefits of
the specially favourable Alpine conditions to those who have regular
access to St Auban or Minden. Why shouldn't flights by North German or
Ohio club members count when they fly in Spain or Arizona on holidays?

I would have thought that the aim of the OLC-League was to encourage XC
flying by more pilots at more clubs but this does the reverse. If you
live near and fly with a club in a poor XC area, your club will never do
well in the comp. No new members will be encouraged to take up XC since
only the best three count from any club no matter how many fly.

It also differs from the normal FAI framework. There's a great story on
the MSC site about a Polish National record being set by a young woman
at Minden. It only needed to be flown by a Pole to count. It didn't
matter where it was flown.

I've read the rationale on the OLC site. They explain that it's very
easy to form an "OLC-Club" which would shift its flying according to the
season. I think this is unlikely but their solution to this
hypothetical problem ensures that a few clubs in favoured areas will
probably dominate the competition. The restriction to only the best
three flights from each club will pressure results even more the same way.

As I see it, the departure point of a flight has more influence on the
likelihood of a great XC flight than the weather. Think of this:
hardly anybody lives in Omarama but it has as many glider pilots per
square inch as anywhere in the world - and they're there most of the
year. Here's another thought. If we can produce a handicap list for
gliders, why not a handicap list for flying sites? That might make the
OLC-League rule acceptable.

Graeme Cant
Old April 13th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Quote "It is not possible to change the club home airfield after the
competion
starts for the year."

I fly with the ASA in Arizona and don't think we have a home field any
longer. What happens when your home field disappears mid year?

Are we now cast into glider Pergatory unable to claim flights for our
group?

Mike

Old April 13th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A suggestion would be to allow flights originating from within X km of
the "home airfield".

This would allow decentralized clubs such as in southern California to
participate fairly as well. Many folks there fly at Hemet or Warner
Springs in the winter and then move to the high desert for the summer.

Or... allow a person to be a member of several clubs, where each "club"
is based at a particular airport. So if I visit a different location,
I can help them compete.

-Tom

Old April 14th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The OLC League only runs through the summer, so you would use your
summer location. You can change your club membership at any time, so
you can participate in the OLC League for the club you are visiting.
You can only be a member of one club at a time, however, so if you
change to the local club, your flights will not be credited to your
home club.

Old April 17th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Quote "It is not possible to change the club home airfield after the
competion
starts for the year."

I fly with the ASA in Arizona and don't think we have a home field any
longer. What happens when your home field disappears mid year?

Are we now cast into glider Pergatory unable to claim flights for our
group?

Mike

It would appear as if this is in fact happening since we flew out of
Estrella this weekend and my log was rejected due to not choosing a takeoff
location that is in the list.

Casey Lenox
KC

Old April 20th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have been working on preparations for the introduction of the
SSA-OLC League here in the US. The list of SSA-OLC clubs has been
revised to eliminate duplicates and clubs with no members in the OLC
database. If you sign up as a competitor on the OLC and can't find your
club, you can still enter it from the competition entry page.

The OLC League does require that flights take off from their club's
designated "home" airport to be scored in the League competition (the
correct airport name must also be selected in the claim form). We have
entered home airports for most clubs in the OLC database, based on
available info. If you want to designate a different home airport for
the OLC League, or just want to check that we entered the correct one,
drop an email to olcatssadotorg for US clubs. You also need to send
us a note if you enter a new club because we still need to designate
the home airfield. If you recently sent a message to this email
address, and did not get a reply yet, please resend it.

We need to get the home airfields entered before the beginning of the
competition on April 29, since it is not possible to change the home
airfield during the competition. The requirement for one home airfield
per club is to keep distributed or traveling clubs from gaining an
advantage from flying wherever the weather is more favorable each week.

This means that existing OLC clubs may want to realign their membership
to participate in the OLC League. Clubs that fly from multiple
airfields may want to create separate OLC divisions for each airfield.
Members of distributed OLC clubs with no home airfield may want to
change their club membership, either temporarily or permanently. And
multiple clubs flying from one airport may want to combine into one to
maximize their scoring. You can change your personal club affiliation
as often as you like by editing your competitor profile on the OLC web
site. To modify existing clubs, you will need help from an
administrator, so send these requests to the olcatssadotorg address
for the US, or your OLC administrator for other countries.

The OLC League can be a great way to enhance interest in soaring in
your club, whether it is an offical SSA Chapter, or just a loose group
of weekend pilots that fly from a particular airport. All you need to
participate is a glider, an IGC approved logger, and a computer. No
special software is needed, but flight analysis programs like SeeYou
and StrePla will make claiming a little easier. Please be an advocate
for the OLC League at your club, and help others get involved!

For more info, see the links on the top bar of the SSA-OLC web page:

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestreports/OLC.htm

Old April 21st 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A follow-up on the SSA-OLC league. Sorry for the long posts, but there
is so much information to convey, and not much time before the league
competition starts.

We have entered the home airfields for as many clubs as possible.
Unfortunately, you cannot access this info from the public OLC web
pages. So here is the list of US clubs sorted by airfield so you can
see the duplicates:

Aero Four Chicago Glider Club
ALM Alamogordo White White Sands Soaring Association
I99 Alexandria2in Central IndianaSoaring Society
4G3 Alliancemille O Cleveland Soaring So
AMW Ames Ia Silent Knights (Ames
CO03 Aspen2 Gld Gliders Of Aspen
CA69 Avenal Gld Central California Soaring Club
43NC Bahnson Piedmont Soaring Soc
Ball Airfield, Nc Harrier Soaring
KBBB Benson Mn Red Wing Soaring Ass
92A Benton Chilh Gld Chilhowee Soaring Association, Inc.
1N7 Blairstown Nj Aero Club Albatross
1V5 Boulder Co Gld Soaring Society of Boulder
1V5 Boulder Co Gld Mile High Gliding
1V5 Boulder Co Gld The Cloud Base
7F3 Caddo Mills Tx Dallas Gliding Assoc
2OH9 Caesar Creek Gld Caesar Creek Soaring
L71 California C Gld Caracole Soaring
O58 Calistoga Gld Crazy Creek Soaring
Cherry3vlly Memphis Soaring Soci
COS Colorado3 Spring High Flights Soaring
46CN Crystal Airport Crystal squadron
8F7 Decatur Tx North Texas Soaring
CD82 Durngo Val Gld Durango Soaring Club
50M Eaglville Tn Puc Eagleville TN
22D Eighty Four Pa B Pittsburgh Soaring C
AZ67 El Tiro Gld El Tiro
AZ67 El Tiro Gld Tucson Soaring Club
CA89 Elsinore Skaylar Lake Elsinore Soarin
ELY Ely Nv Gld The Great Basin Skyl
EPH Ephrata Wa Gld SGC Seattle Glider Council
TX23 Fault Line F Gld Fault Line Flyers
1I5 Freehold Ny Nutmeg Soaring
KFRR Front Royal Va Skyline Soaring Club
3VA8 Garner Field TSS (Tidewater Soari
4NY8 Harris Hill Gld Harris Hill Soaring
HMT Hemet Ryan Gld Cypress Soaring
HMT Hemet Ryan Gld Soarfari
HMT Hemet Ryan Gld Hole in the Wall
H07 Highland Winet Saint Louis Soaring
0C2 Hinckley Il Gld Windy City Soaring A
2O8 Hinton Ok Soaring Sooners Asso
NM83 Hobbs Industrial Hobbs Soaring
3O7 Hollister Ca Hollister Gliding Cl
3O7 Hollister Ca BASA (Bay Area Soari
IN63 Horizon El Paso Soaring Society
3M5 Huntsville3al Mo Huntsville Soaring C
Y70 Ionia Mi Gld Ionia Non CLub
W73 Karlindo Fai Gld M-ASA Mid-Atlantic Soaring Assn
CO15 Kelly Airpark Black Forest Soaring
C62 Kendallville In Kendallville Soaring
FL09 Kittyhawk Estate Kitty Hawk Airpark
0CL1 Krey Antelope Valley Soar
3T5 La Grange Fayett Southern Eagles Soar
Q00 Littlefield Gld Caprock Soaring Club
LGU Logan Ut Cache Valley Soaring
MRF Marfa Tx Gld Marfa Gliders
E68 Maricopa Estrell ASA - Arizona Soaring Assn.
MNN Marion Oh Central Ohio Soaring
06N Middletown N Gld Valley Soaring Club
MEV Minden Dougl Gld High Country Soaring
MEV Minden Dougl Gld Minden Soaring Club
MEV Minden Dougl Gld Soar Minden
D73 Monroe Walto Gld Mid-Georgia Soaring
SIY Montague Ca Sisk Mount Shasta Soaring
2K0 Monticelloil Gld Illini Glider Club
42U Morgan Ut Utah Soaring Associa
42U Morgan Ut Sundance Aviation
Moriarty Nm Gld Albuquerque Soaring
VA85 New Castle H Gld Blue Ridge Soaring S
1OR4 North Plains Willamette Valley So
4CO2 Owl Canyon Gld Colorado Soaring Ass
29MI Palmer Alaska Mountain Soar
1L9 Parowan Ut Gld Parowan Gliding Club
SC95 Perry Wagner Gld North Carolina Soari
0PA0 Philadelphia0 PGC-Philadelphia Gli
2B9 Post Mills Vt PMSC Post Mills
H71 Pryor Ok Mid Ame Tulsa Skykawks Soari
RVL Reedsville Miffl Mifflin County, PA
79N Ridge Soaring Ridge Soaring Irregulars
3J1 Ridgeland Sc Low Country Soaring
IZA Santa Ynez C Gld Santa Ynez
5B2 Saratoga Spr Gld Saratoga Soaring Ass
6FL0 Seminole Lk Gld Seminole Lakes
KHWV Shirley Ny Brook Long Island Soaring
SPA Spartanburg Gld Airscapes Glider Club
VSF Springfld Vt Ha New England Soaring
3B3 Sterling Ma Gld GBSC Boston
KSXL Summersville Wv Minnesota Soaring Cl
L94 Tehachapi Mo Gld Tehachapi Soaring
TEX Telluride Co Telluride Air Force
N57 Toughkenamon Pa Brandywine Soaring A
TRK Truckee Ca Gld Soar Truckee
TRK Truckee Ca Gld Northern California
TA11 Tsa Gld TSA-Texas Soaring As
CL35 Warner Springs Warner Springs Gliders
CL35 Warner Springs Sky Sailing - FSA
0B7 Warren Vt Sugarbush, VT, USA
KOCW Washington Warre Permian Soaring Asso
EAT Wenatchee Gl Gld Cascae Soaring Society
KICT Wichita Ks Kansas Soaring Assoc
Q12 Williams Air Gld Williams Soaring Cen
Q12 Williams Air Gld Valley Soaring Assoc
ZPH Zephyrhills Fl Z TBSS
#N/A #N/A Miami Glider Club
#N/A #N/A 126 Association
#N/A #N/A Puget Sound Soaring Association (PSSA)
#N/A #N/A Wings of Rogallo
#N/A #N/A SSA
#N/A #N/A Idaho Falls Soaring Club
#N/A #N/A Silvercreek Glider Club
#N/A #N/A SparrowHawk Flyers
#N/A #N/A Greater Houston Soaring Association
#N/A #N/A Tennessee Tree Toppers
#N/A #N/A Soaring Club of Houston
#N/A #N/A Chaffee County Soaring
#N/A #N/A Russ Barry\
#N/A #N/A Sequatchie Soaring Society
#N/A #N/A Las Vegas Valley Soaring Association

The clubs at the end still need home airfield designations. If you do
not see your club listed, you can enter it when you sign up as a
competitor by clicking on the "Contest Registration" button on the
SSA-OLC web site at:

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestreports/OLC.htm

You can also change your club affiliation this way if you have already
registered. For changes to US club names or home airield, or to combine
or delete clubs, send requests to the SSA-OLC committee email address
olcatssadotorg (convert the symbols to get the actual address of
course). The competition starts April 29, so all changes need to be in
before then.

Old April 21st 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ending the Summer Contest September 3 excludes the summer days that are
always the best soaring days is South Texas. For example, last year
two PW 5s got diamond goals, and the club's longes flight and 6 US
Records flights took place after September 3rd.

Why does the OTC end the contest before the official beginning of Fall?
Eliminating the final days of summer is very discouraging to clubs
like mine.

Old April 21st 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Vsoars wrote:
Why does the OTC end the contest before the official beginning of Fall?
Eliminating the final days of summer is very discouraging to clubs
like mine.

Agreed. Why not end the contest at the same time OLC ends - mid
October? Still gives time for US clubs to tally scores for various
winter gatherings and award presentations.

-Tom