dirty oil

Old March 6th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default dirty oil

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 00:02:33 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article ,
"Montblack" wrote:

Does anyone do this with their planes - an oil flush, then a change?

I don't.

I don't even use a filter.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 6th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Montblack wrote:
("Denny" wrote)

No one I know breaks the connections and drains the cooler at routine oil
changes...
if the oil is changed before it turns black then the oil cooler will not
have black sludge left in it.. The contained oil will be no dirtier than
what was drained and is diluted by the fresh oil...
Frequent oil changes is the solution...

Doing our (vehicle) oil changes, I drain the old oil. I use a "flush filter"
that goes on next. I add (less expensive oil) and run the car for 20
minutes - while I clean up from the first batch.

On my second oil change, the "flush filter" gets drained and returned to its
(labeled) box on the shelf. A fresh filter is used, then I add my good oil
and I'm all set.

When I do it this way in my cars, the oil stays golden (like new) for 3,000
miles. If I do it the normal way, my drain oil looks like ...drain oil,
after 3,000 miles.

Does anyone do this with their planes - an oil flush, then a change?

For our cars, it adds about $5 to a driveway oil change. I buy a new "flush
filter" every year.

Montblack-gold

Boy, that's a lot of work. I just make sure I change the oil every 3K
miles with new filter and my cars always go better than 200K miles. I
had a Prelude that went 250K before I sold it and I have a '97 Camry
that is ready to turn 200K on my way home today.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 6th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Ross" wrote)
Boy, that's a lot of work. I just make sure I change the oil every 3K
miles with new filter and my cars always go better than 200K miles.

75% of the work is deciding to "change the oil today."

Cardboard
Oil pans
Empty gallon milk jugs
Paper towels
Oil changing t-shirt
Go-Jo hand cleaner
Assembling the quarts
Move the other car
Funnel
Wrench

It doesn't add much time running the flush batch through. Everything is
already set up.

Beer
Folding chair
Radio
Left-over pizza

Montblack

Old March 6th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Montblack wrote:
("Ross" wrote)
Boy, that's a lot of work. I just make sure I change the oil every 3K
miles with new filter and my cars always go better than 200K miles.

75% of the work is deciding to "change the oil today."

Cardboard
Oil pans
Empty gallon milk jugs

The best $10 I ever spent was on one of those 12 qt.oil drain pans that
you can seal up. I drain the oil, then take the pan around the corner
to Acme or the transfer station and dump it into the used oil tank. No
pouring into jugs, no disgusting funnels. Easy!

I can do both the truck and the Jeep with one used oil dumping trip.
Old March 6th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Montblack wrote:
("Ross" wrote)

Boy, that's a lot of work. I just make sure I change the oil every 3K
miles with new filter and my cars always go better than 200K miles.

75% of the work is deciding to "change the oil today."

Cardboard
Oil pans
Empty gallon milk jugs
Paper towels
Oil changing t-shirt
Go-Jo hand cleaner
Assembling the quarts
Move the other car
Funnel
Wrench

It doesn't add much time running the flush batch through. Everything is
already set up.

Beer
Folding chair
Radio
Left-over pizza

Montblack

Mine is even easier. Which "Grease and Go" to I go to today. Other the
other hand, I change the oil in the plane each time.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 6th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Ross" wrote)
Boy, that's a lot of work. I just make sure I change the oil every 3K
miles with new filter and my cars always go better than 200K miles.

75% of the work is deciding to "change the oil today."

Cardboard
Oil pans
Empty gallon milk jugs

You carry those milk jugs over to the recycling center, right Montblack?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Old March 6th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Mike Noel" wrote)
You carry those milk jugs over to the recycling center, right Montblack?

Yes, and it's best not to let (whatever) sit in a plastic milk carton for
too long. I've had them leak after a few months. I don't know what all I had
in one - or maybe it got kicked? All I know is, one day there was a mess on
the floor.

I store, and transport them, in a (cardboard lined) milk crate - trani
fluid, oil, anti-freeze. Each in its own jug.

MontGreen

Old March 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Ross wrote:
Which "Grease and Go" to I go to today.

Mobil 1 at my local "Grease & Go" is way overpriced. The local quickie
lube tore (and bought replacements for $50 each) (4) fender liners in a
row on my '96 Nissan King Cab until they figured out that the screws
weren't snaps. That truck was so difficult to change the oil I acquiesced.

FWIW, my '05 Toyota Tacoma has the oil filter mounted ON TOP of the
engine, complete with a little tray that accepts a 20 oz. soda bottle to
catch the drips! My '99 Wrangler is relatively easy, as well.

I also get to eyeball the belts, hoses, wires, clutch and brake fluid
levels (for hints on wear), etc... while I'm there. And I _like_ doing
it, with a cold microbrew! G

OTOH, I watch our mechanic do the Sundowner.
Old March 6th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

B A R R Y wrote:
Ross wrote:

Which "Grease and Go" to I go to today.

Mobil 1 at my local "Grease & Go" is way overpriced. The local quickie
lube tore (and bought replacements for $50 each) (4) fender liners in a
row on my '96 Nissan King Cab until they figured out that the screws
weren't snaps. That truck was so difficult to change the oil I acquiesced.

FWIW, my '05 Toyota Tacoma has the oil filter mounted ON TOP of the
engine, complete with a little tray that accepts a 20 oz. soda bottle to
catch the drips! My '99 Wrangler is relatively easy, as well.

I also get to eyeball the belts, hoses, wires, clutch and brake fluid
levels (for hints on wear), etc... while I'm there. And I _like_ doing
it, with a cold microbrew! G

OTOH, I watch our mechanic do the Sundowner.

When I am at the Grease and Go I am standing at the front of the car
watching that I am getting what I am paying for (all the things you
mentioned). Toyotas have a odd way of mounting the filter - upside down.
One my O-360 it comes straight out the back, but still a mess if you are
not careful.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 6th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Ross wrote:
Toyotas have a odd way of mounting the filter - upside down.

It's not so odd. Mine is empty when you remove it. Nothing to spill! G

One my O-360 it comes straight out the back, but still a mess if you are
not careful.

Our O-360 has a remote installation, so it's on the firewall. We could
easily do the plane ourselves, but we have a good setup with the
mechanic. He's a one man operation. He sweeps the snow off the plane
when we're not around (for all his regulars), lets us wash and wax the
plane in his hangar, wheels it inside when we need a defrost, answers
and provides spot inspections for preflight questions, and we use his
shop bathroom and fridge. His oil changes are excellent values! ;^)