Flight Simulator for Real Pilots

Old November 24th 03, 05:04 PM
Jay Honeck

Does anyone here use Microsoft Flight Simulator to help them become a
better pilot?

Just a data point: The University of Iowa, in conjunction with
Rockwell-Collins, has a full-sized Boeing 737 simulator here in Iowa City.
They are using it to evaluate human reactions and "highway in the sky"
instrument approaches (The kind where you simply fly through boxes all the
way to the runway...)

I flew it a few weeks ago, and the realism was stunning. (And, boy, is a
737 a pig to fly...)

Imagine my surprise to find out that the underlying flight sim was Microsoft
FS 2002. They write their software to work as an "over-lay" on top of the
sim.

According to the director of the team, there is simply nothing better
currently available.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 03, 06:41 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
According to the director of the team, there is simply nothing better
currently available.

At the price, maybe. Especially if you're mainly talking about visuals.
However, obviously a custom-designed full-motion 737 simulator is "better"
in many other (probably more important) respects. Even within the
under-$500 simulator market (or the under-$100 market, for that matter)
there is considerable debate regarding which simulator is "best".

Pete

Old November 24th 03, 07:17 PM
Jay Honeck

At the price, maybe. Especially if you're mainly talking about visuals.
However, obviously a custom-designed full-motion 737 simulator is "better"
in many other (probably more important) respects. Even within the
under-$500 simulator market (or the under-$100 market, for that matter)
there is considerable debate regarding which simulator is "best".

Agreed. However, the director of the team (a well-respected Swede who owns
the gorgeous V-tailed Bonanza in the hangar next to ours) apparently decided
FS2002 was his most cost-effective "solution".

All I know is this: With video screens out each "window", working
instrumentation, and an authentic flight deck, the realism is stunning.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 03, 07:46 PM
Yossarian

I can get the 172 to do pretty good spins by stalling and holding full
rudder.

"Rod Madsen" wrote in message
. ..
How do you do "spin recoveries"? i.e., how do you get it to spin?

rod
"Yossarian" wrote in message
t...
I use it quite a bit to practice emergency stuff. I have flights saved

in
my local practice area, and on final to my airport to practice things

like
spin recovery, engine failures, and go-arounds. I use it to practice

heavy
crosswind takeoffs and landings too.

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone here use Microsoft Flight Simulator to help them become a
better pilot? I already know it can be used for fun, but does anyone
use it to help them on their IFR landings, or to become familiar with
their Garmin 430, or what not?

Basically, anyone have any Microfost Flight Simulator tips for actual
pilots?

Old November 25th 03, 01:18 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:58:14 +0000, Yossarian wrote:

spin recovery, engine failures, and go-arounds. I use it to practice heavy
crosswind takeoffs and landings too.

What are you using for controllers? I've got the CH Products Yoke and
rudder and this setup with FS9 is the most unrealistic thing I've ever
seen for crosswind practice.

If you're using the same, what are your settings? I've looked for months
to find something usable and finally gave up on anything approaching
reality, and I'd like to. In other words, what did you do to make the 172
fly like a 172?

Old November 25th 03, 01:33 AM
Justin Maas

They are using it to evaluate human reactions and "highway in the sky"
instrument approaches (The kind where you simply fly through boxes all

the
way to the runway...)

Any interesting findings concerning this?

Old November 25th 03, 04:21 AM
Aviv Hod

Agreed. However, the director of the team (a well-respected Swede who

owns
the gorgeous V-tailed Bonanza in the hangar next to ours) apparently

decided
FS2002 was his most cost-effective "solution".

Jay, Tom is Swiss, not Swedish... He is very well funded, and making quite
a name for himself in his field. That's how he gets to run three separate
sims (at my last count) and fly around the country in his Bonanza on
business. Having Rockwell Collins right there in Cedar Rapids is sweet
because Tom's OPL gets to run and test Rockwell's future highway in the sky
interfaces.

It was fun to be a subject for a study he was running a few months ago. I
had to go through training and do 32 complex approaches, which took five
hours. It was draining, but fun, and I go the satisfaction of having helped
out research on future systems. And a cool OPL (operater performance lab)
patch :-)

More information about his lab:
http://opl.ecn.uiowa.edu/

All I know is this: With video screens out each "window", working
instrumentation, and an authentic flight deck, the realism is stunning.

They've done a really great job with it. Tom has a reputation for being a
bit of a slavedriver, but he produces some great work with his students.

-Aviv

Old November 25th 03, 11:00 AM
Cub Driver

How do you do "spin recoveries"? i.e., how do you get it to spin?

I've spun a Cub and a Great Lakes Trainer. In both, you stall the
aircraft nose-high, then with the first shudder you stomp on the left
rudder pedal.

In the Lakes, you can also stomp on the right pedal. I assume the same
is true of the Cub, but we aren't allowed to spin them. (That first
spin was with a CFI who taught out of his own rule-book.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com