Captain sim Mig-21 brake chute

Old May 31st 04, 03:17 PM
Lee Hutchinson

Default Captain sim Mig-21 brake chute

Does anyone out there have an idea on how i deploy the brake chute, for this
brilliant add- on.

Its a bit of a problem without it as its dammn hard to stop running off the
runway.

Ive been through the documentation for it and cant find it anywhere, and yet
the back of the box pic mentions it and shows it in a pic.

Many thanks

Lee Hutch

Old May 31st 04, 04:53 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Lee Hutchinson" wrote in message
Does anyone out there have an idea on how i deploy the brake chute,

for this
brilliant add- on.

Its a bit of a problem without it as its dammn hard to stop running

off the
runway.

Ive been through the documentation for it and cant find it anywhere,

and yet
the back of the box pic mentions it and shows it in a pic.

Many thanks

Lee Hutch

In trying to answer your question; as I use the Mig constantly; I
learned something myself :-)
I just realized that the key assignment Captain Sim gave this function
isn't in the master key list for FS9. I never realized how this is done
by third party developers until now.
I have the Mig drag chute assigned to a throttle button on a Hotas
Cougar setup so I don't use a key assignment. I assigned it right after
install so I never noticed the actual key is was assigned to.
Apparently, Captain Sim and other developers will drop a key assignment
or two into your key "assignments" section that assigns a specific
function for their add on to a key that seldom gets used.
That assignment now shows up as a selection in your sim key assignments.
I never knew this.
For the Mig 21's drag chute, CS used the "tailhook up/down" which is
from CFS3 I believe, and put it in there where it wasn't in there before
in the normal COF key assignments.
Anyway, this is how I think it works :-) I'm sure someone will correct
me if I have it wrong.
For solving your problem, go into the key assignments in the sim and go
down the list and find Tailhook up/down. Whatever key combination is
showing there is the function key CS assigned for the drag chute. Mine
isn't showing anymore for some reason. Probably because I have it on the
throttle as a button assignment now. I believe it was ctrl+/ but I'm not
certain.
Anyway, you should find it there, and you're right; you'll need that
drag chute!!! :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old May 31st 04, 07:26 PM
Lee Hutchinson

Many many, many thanks for that. No more rolling off the end of the runway
into the sea anymore!

I've been going through what i thought were all the alternative key
assignments i could find, with no luck.

Seems it is about the only one i hadn't tried LOL

Many thanks Dudley

Lee Hutch

news

Old May 31st 04, 07:37 PM
Dudley Henriques

No sweat.
If you need anything on the Mig, don't hesitate to ask. You can figure
out my email address by taking apart my signature :-)

Old May 31st 04, 08:33 PM
Lee Hutchinson

Im just trying to learn the panel and start up checklists instead of doing
the normal Ctrl-E shortcut, and im already getting brain overload hehe.

I love the detail in this add on, ive also got the L-39 by captain sim that
i'm getting to grips with too.

Lee Hutch

link.net...

Old May 31st 04, 11:03 PM
Oskar Wagner

Now that I read your thread I'm definitely aware that there MUST be a drag
chute on the MiG21! But the trouble is I can't find it! I use a german
version of FS2004 and there the trouble obviously starts. There is no such
item as a tailhook to assign to any key....:-(
Obviously it has disappeared somewhere in the translation progress or it has
been mistranslated but I also couldn't find anything in the list that would
at least resemble in any faintest way to something like a tailhook.
Now the question is: Is there any other means to deploy that chute? I
couldn't find any hint in the manuals. It looks like I have to live without
that chute! Too bad. Nevertheless I manage to land that nice bird on a 8200
ft runway and using about two third with moderate braking. So I'm afraid
that the ground crew will just have to deal with excessive brake wear if
they can't give me that chute working.....
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Old June 1st 04, 03:07 AM
Dudley Henriques

Hi Oskar;

I honestly don't know why there's no tailhook up/down in your
assignments after installing the Mig. I'm a little hazy myself on how it
gets in there to begin with. I've looked over a printout of the key
assignments for FS9 as it comes out of the box clean and I can't find an
assignment for tailhook. After installing the Mig, it's there.....at
least on my machine. I've been assuming that Captain Sim has put it in
there during the install of the Mig.
If you go to the Captain Sim site and access the Mig area, under FAQ for
the Mig, there's a notation about the drag chute.
I know for their F104 download, they assign the drag chute on the
Starfighter to another key...wing fold I believe. I remember asking them
at one time why they did this, as it meant that if you had both the Mig
and the 104 installed, you would have separate key functions for the
drag chutes on each airplane and that could get to be a hassle if you
had a controller function assigned for one.
They informed me at that time that this is how they had to do it because
of FS9 limitations.
If all else fails, send Alex at Captain Sim support a note. He'll give
you some kind of an answer that will square the drag chute away for you
on the Mig.
Dudley

Old June 1st 04, 10:51 AM
Inspect Rex

"Lee Hutchinson" wrote in message
Does anyone out there have an idea on how i deploy the brake chute, for

this
brilliant add- on.

Its a bit of a problem without it as its dammn hard to stop running off

the
runway.

Ive been through the documentation for it and cant find it anywhere, and

yet
the back of the box pic mentions it and shows it in a pic.

Many thanks

Lee Hutch

If you like to fly MiG related add-ons this is a very interesting link with
the MiG-21 bis downloadable demo, and with the sample of add-on
documentation (a/c history, techdata, .)

http://www.soko.hr/source/Addon/Add_on.htm

Best Regards