Ultimate soaring challenges or adventures

Old November 9th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

Default Ultimate soaring challenges or adventures

I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.
Old November 9th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Nov 9, 7:28*am, nimbusgb wrote:
I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

My general goal is to go further than I have ever gone before. Or at
least as far as I can go that day.

when I was living in Iowa one of my dream flights was to fly the 99
mile distance northwest to my hometown. almost made it once, landed
out 7 miles short.
Old November 9th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 05:28:09 -0800, nimbusgb wrote:

I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'. I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

Getting gold height on a ridge would be pretty cool. I'm told that can be
done on the local hill at Bolzano.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 9th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark

Martin,
Your tip on Bolzano has moved it way up on my "must visit" list.

Thanks
Old November 9th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

of course there is always the goal of doing all 3 diamonds in a 1-26,
or in my case, a Cherokee II
Old November 9th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb wrote:
I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

My 'Bucket List'

Sierra Wave
French Alps
New Zealand
Ely NV
All three diamonds in one flight.
Old November 9th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Nov 9, 4:00*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb wrote: I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

My 'Bucket List'

Sierra Wave
French Alps
New Zealand
Ely NV
All three diamonds in one flight.

That's a pretty good list.

I personaly would add getting a bungee launch in something vintage
(SG-38, Minimoa) at the Wasserkuppe, and flying the Morning glory in
Australia

Pete
Old November 10th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:26:35 -0800, vontresc wrote:

On Nov 9, 4:00Â*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Nov 9, 5:28Â*am, nimbusgb wrote: I am
looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

My 'Bucket List'

Sierra Wave
French Alps
New Zealand
Ely NV
All three diamonds in one flight.

That's a pretty good list.

I personaly would add getting a bungee launch in something vintage
(SG-38, Minimoa) at the Wasserkuppe, and flying the Morning glory in
Australia

Substitute The Mynd for der Wasserkuppe and the bungee launch can be
done, though you'd have to settle for a T.21 rather than an SG-38.

The favourite pre-war bungee launch point is unusable because it is still
occupied by the bones of a radar site than still contains a giant
golfball. It was my understanding that they no longer bungee off the hill
but I'm happy to be proved wrong. Its certain that the majority of their
launches are aero tows. They do have a winch, but it wasn't in use either
time I've visited der Wasserkuppe.

I believe there are four airworthy Minimoas. One lives at Dunstable. I
don't know where the others are.

Another item for the list: a winch launch into wave. Its been done at
Portmoak in Scotland and I think its possible at Jury Hill on the North
Island of New Zealand.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 10th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gerald Simpson

On Nov 9, 8:28*am, nimbusgb wrote:
I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

I would like to propose that a 15meter standard class 500km declared
triangle in Indiana might qualify as a borderline ultimate adventure.
I don't think it has been done.
Old November 10th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN

How about bringing the Shuttle back from a high launch to the Space
Station turnpoint.

Otherwise, the Perlan Project flying into he Polar Vortex might
suffice.

Also, Rutan's Space Ship One flights could expand the horizon. I
understand these guys had to go get a commercial glider rating before
the FAA would let them fly.