lightest DLG gliders

Old March 9th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default lightest DLG gliders

Are we talking about the backwater country that everyone seems to want
to move to without an invitation?

On 3/9/2018 11:59 AM, AS wrote:
And that's why the metric system rules worldwide - except for some backwater countries.

Amen!

Uli
'AS'

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 10th 18, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Friday, 9 March 2018 14:26:06 UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Are we talking about the backwater country that everyone seems to want
to move to without an invitation?

--
Dan, 5J

Sorry, Dan... Canada is already using metric
Old March 10th 18, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"And that's why the metric system rules worldwide - except for some backwater countries."

"There are two systems of measurement. The Metric system, and the one that put a man on the Moon." (Anonymous)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Parochial and childish, but it is what it is. I personally use both systems interchangeably.

So at the present time, the "English" measurements are used in, uhh, Liberia, Myanmar and the US. Runnin' with the Big Dogs!

Old March 10th 18, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 4:42:58 PM UTC-8, wrote:
"And that's why the metric system rules worldwide - except for some backwater countries."

"There are two systems of measurement. The Metric system, and the one that put a man on the Moon." (Anonymous)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Parochial and childish, but it is what it is. I personally use both systems interchangeably.

So at the present time, the "English" measurements are used in, uhh, Liberia, Myanmar and the US. Runnin' with the Big Dogs!

All the Metric system does is throw out a bunch of units which over centuries were developed because they were useful. We could convert the Imperial system to 'metric' the same way: every weight would be quoted in ounces, every measurement in inches. Done. But not really useful. A mile would become 63 Kinches. Gliders would weigh 18.512 Kounces, rather than 1157 pounds. And the world would think us brilliant. But a mile is actually a useful unit, in context, as is a pound and a ton.

Old March 10th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 6:42:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:
"And that's why the metric system rules worldwide - except for some backwater countries."

"There are two systems of measurement. The Metric system, and the one that put a man on the Moon." (Anonymous)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Parochial and childish, but it is what it is. I personally use both systems interchangeably.

So at the present time, the "English" measurements are used in, uhh, Liberia, Myanmar and the US. Runnin' with the Big Dogs!

Mark and 'Anonymus': the metric system is used in all of science, check it out. Remember the failed Mars shot some 30-40 years ago? The clear cause of conversion factor errors. Dan, don't forget your metric tool set when flying your beautiful Stemme!
Old March 10th 18, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Less than 20 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter .
Old March 11th 18, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have both kinds of tools.Â* It's maddening to need a metric wrench on a
Harley Davidson.Â* Frankly I have no grief with the metric system other
than the fact that, being raised with the "moon" system, I can visualize
the measurements.Â* I can look at an SAE nut and tell you that it's 3/8,
1/2, 9/16 inches, but I can't do the same with 6, 8,10,12 mm.Â* Just what
I'm used to.

I think the gliding community likes the metric system because 1,000 km
sounds more impressive than a mere 621.3712 miles, and way better than
539.9555 nautical miles.

Old March 11th 18, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 12:00:20 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
But a mile is actually a useful unit, in context, as is a pound and a ton.

One degree of latitude is 60 nautical miles, and one minute is a nautical miles which is 6000 feet. Makes for some easy math measuring distance on a chart.

Not as simple using the metric system...
Old March 11th 18, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 7:19:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 12:00:20 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
But a mile is actually a useful unit, in context, as is a pound and a ton.

One degree of latitude is 60 nautical miles, and one minute is a nautical miles which is 6000 feet. Makes for some easy math measuring distance on a chart.

Not as simple using the metric system...

On 1:500 000 scale charts 1 cm represents 5km exactly. 1 inch more or less 8 miles.
On 1: 1000000 scale charts 1 cm represents 10km exactly 1 inch more or less 16 miles.

GP Gliders [email protected] Soaring 22 January 6th 18 09:28 PM
How gliders fly Frank Whiteley Soaring 6 March 19th 15 02:31 PM
L13/L23 gliders Pavel Rind Soaring 25 March 1st 11 07:09 AM
L 13/L13 A gliders Pavel Rind Soaring 0 February 23rd 11 09:23 AM
Gliders? Ben Jeffrey Soaring 1 September 3rd 08 09:25 PM