A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Old April 7th 17, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

John, feel free to email me if you need help with anything. Contact details are on Google Play store.

Personally I would like to see GlidePort.aero combine InReach/Spot traces with cell traces into a single flight trace. Users would see a single trace with as much tracking detail as available. Satellite data would replace by cell data as it is received. Much like how zooming in google earth shows a fuzzy image then fills in crisp details as they are downloaded.

The step beyond that is a hybrid system I proposed earlier. A user watching GlidePort.aero would see exactly the same thing, BUT the satellite modem would be smart enough to know it doesn't need to send data in an area with good cell coverage. That MIGHT lower satellite data costs.

Alan

Old April 8th 17, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
John, feel free to email me if you need help with anything. Contact details are on Google Play store.

Personally I would like to see GlidePort.aero combine InReach/Spot traces with cell traces into a single flight trace. Users would see a single trace with as much tracking detail as available. Satellite data would replace by cell data as it is received. Much like how zooming in google earth shows a fuzzy image then fills in crisp details as they are downloaded.

The step beyond that is a hybrid system I proposed earlier. A user watching GlidePort.aero would see exactly the same thing, BUT the satellite modem would be smart enough to know it doesn't need to send data in an area with good cell coverage. That MIGHT lower satellite data costs.

Alan

Alan,

So what is needed to make the hybred system?

John

P.S. I have no marketable skills, so my value is limited to useless questions and/or suggestions.
Old April 8th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 11:39:46 AM UTC+12, John Smith wrote:
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Alan

Alan,

So what is needed to make the hybred system?

John

P.S. I have no marketable skills, so my value is limited to useless questions and/or suggestions.

A productized version of this http://www.rock7mobile.com/products-rockblock-9603 connected to your phone.

AND a bunch of software, both in Android(iPhone) and in the Cloud.
Old April 8th 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

I'm currently talking to 3 firms about COTS hybrid systems (very expensive).. I would love Alan or Pedja to find the time work on this. I have two demo units on-route for testing this summer. The third unit was over 10k just for the hardware alone. The other two are far more reasonable.

Alan your mention of a combined or integrated trace in the viewer is ideal. This dual track result (mobile app/InReach) was a complaint at the SGP.

Sean
Old April 8th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have in the past seen something like this done successfully - but t is rare. (getting a bunch of individuals to all do something)

I belive what it would take to be done right - is the SSA do a fundraiser to purchase 60 units (whatever works) and then supply them to the contests with the contest making turning them on a requirement.

The unit maker may see it as a win - maybe if people tried thier product they would discover the value.
The contest would win by getting people to watch and maybe even get sponsorship opportunities.
the family and friends would win by getting to see their pilot fly.

if left up to the individuals - contest tracking will always suck and be missing most gliders, except at high end contests like the worlds or maybe the Grand Prix races.

I think tracking is awesome/critical - and can't understand why anyone flying XC doesn't desire a good track with all the data - even outside contest tasks. how we all go off into the abyss with no one keeping trak fo where we are, just does not make sense to anyone outside the Soaring community - and that is where new pilots come from

It was understandable before tracking was possible - now it borders on negligent - we don't use cameras any more to prove where we went - it is time to embrace some new stuff - you can couch it in safety if that makes you feel better. But getting tracking done right is importnat to our sport.

My $.02

WH
Old April 16th 17, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

From a Growth & Retention standpoint, I wholeheartedly support the idea of the SSA providing trackers to CD's to disperse to contestants at various regional and national gliding competitions. I would also support the lending of these devices to US Team Members (it's always good to have heroes in a sport) and individuals attempting national, continental, or world records. The entertainment and promotional value is well worth the money.

After a quick glance at the thread tonight I would reserve opinion on which route to go or what the SSA should potentially support. I would very much like to add this to the Growth & Retention Committee's agenda for consideration. I also want to explore ideas as to how we can use tracking to promote the sport and generate more interest in contest participation among SSA members. Sean, when you get a chance please bring me up to speed with Glideportaero and the various tracking device options. I like the idea of the SSA delivering its own branded, affordable tracking devices to its members on a subscription basis.

Chris Schrader
Old April 16th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

LiveTrack24 seems to be very popular with many soaring countries. These are the units (70) which were purchased by the Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA) (aka Australia's "SSA") for their membership to be used at Australian contests and other soaring events.

These were used at the Benalla WGC in January and worked EXTREMELY well.

Here is a LIVE example (HAPPENING NOW) of LibeTrack24 tracking in South Africa of LiveTrack24 for their ongoing FAI SGP.

It is clear to me that most pilots are FAR TO LAZY to use mobile tracker apps (which require a bit of finesse). These units are simple. Turn them on by pressing a button. Charge them at night.

http://www.livetrack24.com/tasks/3592

Sean
Old April 16th 17, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

.... Or really just don't care.

On 4/16/2017 6:49 AM, Sean Fidler wrote:
It is clear to me that most pilots are FAR TO LAZY to use mobile tracker apps (which require a bit of finesse). These units are simple. Turn them on by pressing a button. Charge them at night.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 17th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

"... Or really just don't care."

I think this is very true - most pilots these days don't even have a crew when they go to contests. Often when they fly XC (out of site of the airport, the people on the ground don't care where their pilots have gone.

I chose to believe it is that they just don't know any better/ haven't experienced Soaring track when they are good.

My wife and our good friends wife, who are very interested my where-abouts when flying attract a crowd when they are sitting on their tablets seeing where we are and how high.

I think is is one of those things we are too lazy/unfamiliar with to not understand the benefit to the Sport and our won clubs. It is not attained with out effort and a push.

I believe the push needs to come from the SSA. If we had a year or two where most flights where tracked. If XC flights at a club level where tracked so other member could see where the more advanced pilots where going it would inspire more XC flying and more retention.

my $.02

WH

Old April 17th 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I'm sorry, but you misunderstood my meaning. What I meant was: My
soaring is for me and I don't care if you or anyone else knows where I
am or not. My wife, a solo hiker knows and understands this, as well.
I suspect I'm not alone in this.

I'm all for those who want to share their experience with others. My
initial response was to the typical insult (too lazy) made by the one
who insults all who don't agree with his way of doing things.

On 4/17/2017 6:49 AM, wrote:
"... Or really just don't care."

I think this is very true - most pilots these days don't even have a crew when they go to contests. Often when they fly XC (out of site of the airport, the people on the ground don't care where their pilots have gone.

I chose to believe it is that they just don't know any better/ haven't experienced Soaring track when they are good.

My wife and our good friends wife, who are very interested my where-abouts when flying attract a crowd when they are sitting on their tablets seeing where we are and how high.

I think is is one of those things we are too lazy/unfamiliar with to not understand the benefit to the Sport and our won clubs. It is not attained with out effort and a push.

I believe the push needs to come from the SSA. If we had a year or two where most flights where tracked. If XC flights at a club level where tracked so other member could see where the more advanced pilots where going it would inspire more XC flying and more retention.

my $.02

WH

--
Dan, 5J