Powerflarm results @Seniors

Old March 21st 12, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

Default Powerflarm results @Seniors

Anyone who flew at Seniors contest care to comment about impression of
system?
Old March 21st 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Mar 21, 6:31*am, Robert Fidler wrote:
Anyone who flew at Seniors contest care to comment about impression of
system?

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/03/march...t-the-seniors/

T8
Old March 21st 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:09:12 PM UTC-4, T8 wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:31*am, Robert Fidler wrote:
Anyone who flew at Seniors contest care to comment about impression of
system?

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/03/march...t-the-seniors/

T8

Interesting! The insensitivity in those 30 units could be due to either installation problems, or to hardware/software problems. Given the success of the Flarm in Europe, I sure it will be resolved sooner or later.

But I think Frank is correct - the solution to the problem needs to addressed publicly to achieve maximum confidence in the PowerFlarm. Unfortunately, the PowerFlarm team hasn't shown a willingness to share in public, as evidenced by the relatively few postings on how they were working to address the long delays in the introduction of the portable, and now the brick, version of the unit.

-John
Old March 21st 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Mar 21, 1:38*pm, John Carlyle wrote:
[...]

I wonder what changed. I don't recall hearing anything about this with
the portable units at Uvalde last year and I know that I'm pretty sure
Frank and I were able to see each other at a longer range than that at
Region 10.
Old March 22nd 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Mar 21, 2:38*pm, John Carlyle wrote:
[...]

I doubt that so many units had installation issue. Besides this thing
is so big you don't have many choices where to put it in so either it
works or it doesn't.

One can ask what happened here. Well, there was a change and not
enough testing after the change. Typical outcome when quality controls
are not in place. In regards to a tow plane sailplane issue reported a
month or two ago nor response from PowerFlarm either.

I hope this time around PowerFlarm is going to make a statement
preferably starting with apology to their trusting clients.

Old March 22nd 12, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I going to "guess" a bit:

I understand the FCC restricted the transmitted power output of the
PowerFlarm over what PF would have liked. They also refused approval
unless PF took steps to prevent someone from installing a high gain
antenna in order to improve output power. This resulted in sub-optimal
transmitted range, though I thought it was still supposed to be 2 to 4
miles or so. PF did include a "panel" Flarm receive antenna that is
"optional" to install. Using that antenna will increase the effective
range of the PF by displaying threat aircraft at a more distant range.
If the threat aircraft doesn't also use the "panel" antenna, then
you'll probably see him before he sees you.

Were these additional receive antennas used at the contests or left in
the box?

In my flight testing with PF in two power aircraft, effective range
was about .5 to 2 nm, without using the panel antenna, and seemed
dependant on aircraft orientation as one would expect as sometime
there was aircraft structure in the way. I'm using the panel antenna
in my glider, but so far have not found anothe PF equipped glider to
play with.

The "ADS-B in" works flawlessly all the way out to 32 nm. The PCAS
function seems reliable to at least 8 nm, however the altitude
displayed will sometimes show a minus instead of a plus when clearly
the threat aircraft is above.

bumper
Old March 22nd 12, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

In our club we have "Academy" training evenings during winter
season. Few weeks ago I was telling about FLARM units, and this
week one our member who works for accident investigation was
telling about safety issues in competitions. Safety is an issue here,
since within 12 months lifes of 4 Finnish glider pilot were lost. 2 in
midair with an eagle (!!), one because of motorized take-off spoilers
open, and one because of midair with other competitor.

The conclusion of the last incident, midair between two competing
planes, both equipped with FLARM units, flying 10 minutes very
close to each others, was really scary. FLARM seems to be
something that might warn you if someone is approaching under the
same cloudstreet, but in competition where you have several planes
near to you all the time, you still might loose situation awareness.

FLARM antenna installation is really a problem. PowerFlarm seems
to have two antennas, I have no idea how that works. I have
installed several FLARMs into our club gliders, and I have used "RF
Range Analysis" tool provided by FLARM.
http://flarm.com/support/analyze/index_en.html
This should tell you if your antenna installation has problems - and
there often are problems. I would like to see this analysis extended
into 3 dimensional graphic.

Everyone who installs FLARM in a plane should use this analysis
tool.

Old March 22nd 12, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:38:43 AM UTC-7, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
[...]

Kimmo, thank for sharing and very sorry to hear about the fatalities, especially giving that 3 life were lost in midairs in one year alone. Can you share some more details so we can all learn? This is the first time I am hearing of a fatal midair collision with an eagle. One more thing to worry about now...

Ramy
Old March 22nd 12, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Hytoenen wrote:
In our club we have "Academy" training evenings during

winter=20
season. Few weeks ago I was telling about FLARM units, and

this=20
week one our member who works for accident investigation

was=20
telling about safety issues in competitions. Safety is an issue

here,=20
since within 12 months lifes of 4 Finnish glider pilot were lost.

2 in=20
midair with an eagle (!!), one because of motorized take-off

spoilers=20
open, and one because of midair with other competitor.
=20
The conclusion of the last incident, midair between two

competing=20
planes, both equipped with FLARM units, flying 10 minutes

very=20
close to each others, was really scary. FLARM seems to

be=20
something that might warn you if someone is approaching

under the=20
same cloudstreet, but in competition where you have several

planes=20
near to you all the time, you still might loose situation

awareness.
=20
FLARM antenna installation is really a problem. PowerFlarm

seems=20
to have two antennas, I have no idea how that works. I

have=20
installed several FLARMs into our club gliders, and I have

used "RF=20
Range Analysis" tool provided by FLARM.
http://flarm.com/support/analyze/index_en.html
This should tell you if your antenna installation has problems

- and=20
there often are problems. I would like to see this analysis

extended=20
into 3 dimensional graphic.
=20
Everyone who installs FLARM in a plane should use this

analysis=20
tool.

Kimmo, thank for sharing and very sorry to hear about the

fatalities,
espec=
ially giving that 3 life were lost in midairs in one year alone.

Can you
sh=
are some more details so we can all learn? This is the first time

I am
hear=
ing of a fatal midair collision with an eagle. One more thing to

worry
abou=
t now...

Ramy

The accident took place last autumn in Jaca, northern Spain,
where Finnish gliding academy was having training camp. A
large bird collided with the upper part of the vertical stabilizer,
the connection point with horizontal stabilizer. The impact has
been severe, since the horizontal stabilized was cut half,
horizontal stabilized lost completely, and the glider become
uncontrollable.

Both pilots jumped, but altitude was only about 200 m (just
passing mountain top) and chutes did not have time to open.

Glider was duo discus, Finnish call-sign OH-1000. Couple months
before I was flying the same plane in the same place.

This is the official preliminary report in Finnish.
http://www.turvallisuustutkinta.fi//...taista/Muuttie
dotteet/1302674026783

Old March 23rd 12, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Crickets....

No other contest user reports?

T8

FS - Powerflarm Portable Westbender Soaring 0 January 9th 12 09:21 PM
PowerFLARM at Uvalde Paul Remde Soaring 19 August 1st 11 05:52 AM
Results and reports from Seniors" Walt Connelly Soaring 4 April 4th 11 01:03 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 04:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 09:32 AM