Spot Landings

Old November 5th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Spot Landings

On Nov 5, 2:15*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Nov 5, 6:31*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII

Rocky likes to float these little teasers out here for people to play
with. It's a totally viable teaching technique and I did it all
through my tenure in aviation.
You may prefer things done another way, but I would HARDLY call it
spam, or insinuate that Rocky doesn't fly real airplanes. Now Mxemanix
is another matter entirely :-)))
Dudley Henriques
Old November 5th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

They are still required for the commercial pilot ticket.

Without power?

Mine were. (of course, my Commercial is in gliders)

Vaughn

Old November 5th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

They are still required for the commercial pilot ticket.

Without power?

Mine were. (of course, my Commercial is in gliders)

If the truth be known, I can't remember. Had ot do one ofr my CFI renewal
from a slip ( in a 45 champ)

Bertie
Old November 6th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

All the time... Instruct in gliders.. for me the touch down point is ON the
number.. for my students I have them use the first centerline stripe. When
towing, PA-25.. Down and stopped in the first 700ft of runway. We have about
600-700ft of gravel under run to the threshold with no obstructions within
1000ft of the threshold.

When I took my Commercial Multi check ride, the DPE challenged me to
complete the Single Engine approach and touch within the "Captains Bars" to
complete both the SE approach and the accuracy landing portion of the PTS.
He did tell me the SE approach was critical and the bonus was saving another
pattern for the accuracy landing. If the accuracy did not work out. I would
have another pattern to complete the accuracy landing.

When it all came together and I touched in the 1st 3rd of the Captains
Bars.. he mumbled under his breath about "damm glider pilots".

BT

Old November 6th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

It's easier to spot land in a glider, although an aircraft with johnson bar
flaps comes in at a close second.

Old November 6th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII

Huh? You are an instructor? The best ones I ever had challenged me to do
things beyond that required for a rating or endorsement. At least Old
Shy tries to promote discussion about aviation here. You trying to
discourage it?

Old November 6th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"BT" wrote in message

[...]

I can't say this over on the student group of course :-)))))))

........but for pilots who are comfortable flying behind the power
curve and can walk that fine line keeping the airplane out of coffin
corner (the power curve coffin corner NOT the altitude coffin
corner :-) in a powered aircraft, a good pilot can plop down many
light airplanes very close to the parameters available to a glider
using spoilers.
Dudley Henriques
Old November 6th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Plopping does not count except for back country strips where it is needed..
Nor does the technique of dropping the Johnson Bar to the floor count..
Smooth roll on landings please..
Although I must admit sometimes in the Pawnee the 3 pointers plop on before
I expect it.
That dang bird just hates a 3 knot tail wind and a 3 point landing
combination.
BT

Old November 6th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Nov 5, 9:41*pm, "BT" wrote:
[...]

I must be missing something. Are you folks talking "regulation spot
landings" or just putting the airplane down on a specific spot? If the
latter, a behind the curve approach flown by a good pilot comfortable
in that environment will most certainly put the airplane down within a
few feet of the desired spot if the final approach path allows the
shallow approach.
Other than this, a normal spot landing in a powered airplane should
not be as accurate as one flown in a glider......considering of course
no difference between the two cockpits, which can be a HUGE factor in
deciding these things :-)))
DH

SPOT on Tuno Soaring 0 May 15th 08 09:36 PM
See SPOT run... [email protected] Soaring 11 April 30th 08 08:57 PM
SPOT GPS jeplane Soaring 17 February 5th 08 05:23 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 01:04 AM
Night landings vs. day landings Gerald Sylvester Piloting 15 February 12th 04 06:38 AM