Letter to the FAA

Old July 2nd 17, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Letter to the FAA

Read my post and T8 from 5/27.....
Old July 2nd 17, 02:20 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) View Post
Read my post and T8 from 5/27.....
Not sure what you are trying to say here Charlie. I've read the posts and...?
Old July 2nd 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sounds like a 337 is involved.
I am no expert, I am only passing on info in this thread.
Old July 2nd 17, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That was done in 1982. When field approvals were still being done.
Old July 3rd 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells

Any reason why rope-cutting guillotines (like we have in winches) aren't installed in tow planes? Regardless of the design of the hook, surely redundancy (as long as it doesn't increase the risk of an unintended release, which would potentially be more problematic on tow than on the winch).
Old July 3rd 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 4:22:54 PM UTC+3, John Wells wrote:
Any reason why rope-cutting guillotines (like we have in winches) aren't installed in tow planes? Regardless of the design of the hook, surely redundancy (as long as it doesn't increase the risk of an unintended release, which would potentially be more problematic on tow than on the winch).

I believe the installations with a winch to retract the tow rope after glider release also have a guillotine in lieu of a release on the tow plane end..

It might be pretty tricky to design an installation with both a release and a guillotine on the tow plane end without:

1) having the guillotine hanging way off the back of the tow plane, and mounted to what?

2) having the tow rope attachment/pull point much further forward than usual, and potentially difficult to hook up/unhook

3) being able to release the rope in flight (or while taxiing) without cutting the rope and without risk of the rings (or whatever) fouling on the guillotine.

I'm not sure why a guillotine would add any more risk. There are already plenty of ways for PTT to happen, and glider towing should always be performed in a way that makes PTT safe at any point during the takeoff.
Old July 4th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

At 13:22 03 July 2017, John Wells wrote:
Any reason why rope-cutting guillotines (like we have in winches) aren't
in=
stalled in tow planes? Regardless of the design of the hook, surely
redund=
ancy (as long as it doesn't increase the risk of an unintended release,
whi=
ch would potentially be more problematic on tow than on the winch).

Our aerotow ropes have weak links at both ends, a weak one at the glider
end and a stronger one at the tug end. Normally the glider weak
link goes but if the tug takes the rope through the hedge the the tug end
goes and no harm - except to the tug pilot's reputation.

Chris

Old August 30th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Walt,

Can you give an update on your letter to the FAA regarding this incident?

Regards,
Gerald
Old August 30th 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gosh, this has been a concern for many years.

At least one way to look at this is to consider is it a problem?

There are recorded instances of glider pilots becoming too high on the tow plane early on tow resulting in lifting the tail of the towplane driving it into the ground. Killing the tow pilot.

It is well known if you lift on the tail-installed tow release with enough force, the Schweizer tow release may not function.

The soaring community can not ignore the problem.

I remember when we installed the Tost tow release on our tow planes many years ago. We felt it best to have our installation (easy) approved by an FAA inspector. He took a simple look at the installation and approved it on the spot.

The Tost tow release is a low cost item and easy to install.
Old May 8th 19, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Walt - there's an STC for inverting the hook? Can you provide any details, I can't find it. That would be a straightforward solution...

from latest news letter on vulcan, hope it is of intrest to some of you if you dont get the news letter PAUL H Aviation Photos 0 January 27th 13 12:21 PM
A LETTER OF THANKS minimoa Soaring 0 September 14th 10 12:06 AM
Letter from TSA? Emily Piloting 14 August 14th 06 11:33 PM
A letter to a friend... Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com Naval Aviation 3 August 23rd 05 12:23 AM
Letter from TSA Rosspilot Piloting 2 November 20th 03 02:12 AM