INITIAL CFIG check rides now available at Marfa, TX

Old December 4th 16, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default INITIAL CFIG check rides now available at Marfa, TX

DEC 2016. Texas, USA

The FAA has just bestowed upon me, a Designated Pilot Examiner, the somewhat unique privilege and honor to conduct first-time “INITIAL” Flight Instructor (Glider) Practical Tests (“checkrides.”)

My 24 month window of authorization to conduct Initial CFIG checkrides as a DPE is an exception from the FAA initiative for FAA Inspector-Examiners to test all initial CFI applicants (in airplane, glider, rotorcraft.)

A glider rating on your Commercial Pilot Certificate is required.

My DPE authorization is for the vast Lubbock FSDO area of western Texas including Hobbs, NM, so I can travel to give checkrides in my FSDO area. If you want me to travel outside of the Lubbock FSDO area YOU would need to initiate a request to your local FSDO to contact the Lubbock (LBB SW13) FSDO to consider having me travel outside of my area to fulfill the (FAA term) “need” for your checkride at your home soaring site. This is not always allowed by the FAA and paying for me to travel may be more expensive than you traveling to me at Marfa. El Paso, TX (ELP) is our nearest airline terminal.

Before traveling to Marfa, you must have logged all of the ground training and flight time requirements per FAR part 61.123-129(f) and have passed your written tests for the FAA Fundamentals Of Instruction (F.O.I.) plus the FAA Aeronautical Knowledge Test (“written”) for Flight Instructor-Glider with your corrected answers of any missed questions written down for your recommending CFIG to review and for your Examiner to review on the oral portion of the checkride.

Who can give you the training: For “Initial" Flight Instructor training, your CFIG must have logged at least 80 hours of glider flight instruction given and have held their Flight Instructor Certificate (Glider) for at least 24 months in order to train you and recommend (endorse) you for an “Initial” CFI-Glider Practical Test. Reference FAR 61.195 (h)(2)(v). Make sure your CFIG meets these requirements.

I can also conduct CFIG renewals or reinstatements as well as “add-on” Glider CFI to your current or expired Airplane CFI Certificate, which renews all other ratings on your Flight Instructor Certificate.

I can also conduct PVT and COM Glider checkrides for those who are ready to finish that glider rating.

Our SSA Chapters need more CFIG’s!
“Wannabe” CFI’s should consider attending a Soaring Safety Foundation Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) in your region..
Find the upcoming SSF FIRC schedule and locations at www.soaringsafety.org

If you are qualified and prepared to become a new CFI-Glider, then let’s discuss details and dates for your CFI checkride at Marfa in southwest Texas.

Qualified foreign pilots may take a glider rating checkride with me at Marfa with no background check.

“Someday” is NOW.

Burt Compton
e-mail marfagliders at aol dott commitment
website: www.flygliders.com

Marfa, Texas, is the site of the 1970 World Soaring Contest (first held in the USA) and the venue of the 1969 full-length film “The Sun Ship Game.”
Flying year-round in my ASK-21 at Marfa Airport (KMRF). Field elevation 5,000 msl on the Marfa Plateau, near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park.
For tourist info about Marfa, go to www.visitmarfa.com

Old December 5th 16, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Congratulations, Burt.

Getting the authorization to give initial CFI check rides is one heck of a vote of confidence and trust from the FAA.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, Fl