unsticking cables

Old January 5th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default unsticking cables

The defrost cable is stuck on my Musketeer. It's just a wire encased in
another spirally wound wire.
Any suggestions?

Old January 5th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

dlevy wrote:

The defrost cable is stuck on my Musketeer. It's just a wire encased in
another spirally wound wire.
Any suggestions?

Spray lube on as much of the exterior of the cable housing as you can
get to. The lube will soak into the spiral wrap, and free up the wire
core (hopefully!). This technique generally works on the older style
control cables that do not have a plastic inner lining.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054
Old January 6th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

We suffered with this battle for a year with our Mooney's heater cable.
We pulled the cable out, soaked the sheeth in a bucket of goo for weeks
etc. In the end we could never de-goo it enough to make it slide
easily. Since Mooney wanted $500 for a new cable I wasn't going to
replace it. I ended up getting lucky one day and found someone willing
to sell me theirs. We never were able to de-goo the original
cable/sheeth after about a year of actively trying anything we could
think of.

-Robert

Old January 6th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"dlevy" writes:

The defrost cable is stuck on my Musketeer. It's just a wire encased in
another spirally wound wire.
Any suggestions?

Is it seized or sticking? Get lube down the cable while working it.

Somewhere I saw a cable-luber. I suspect it was home made. It was
a block with one end drilled for the threaded cable fitting. The
other had a Zerk fitting. You attached the cable and used a grease
gun to FORCE grease throughout.

Not sure how well it worked and most folks want lighter, less messy
lube.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 6th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

dlevy wrote:
The defrost cable is stuck on my Musketeer. It's just a wire encased in
another spirally wound wire.
Any suggestions?

This is designed for motorcycle cables. It should work for your application.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service/cable_luber.htm

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 6th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Would you believe I already have one (the exact one in the picture) and
hadn't thought of using it! Doh!

Thanks for clearing the cobwebs.

Old January 6th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

dlevy wrote:
The defrost cable is stuck on my Musketeer. It's just a wire encased in
another spirally wound wire.
Any suggestions?

This is designed for motorcycle cables. It should work for your
application.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service/cable_luber.htm

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

I've used this product on motorcycles for years, and it is great. I
don't know about Musketeers, but it sure works on lawn mowers, cars & bikes.
Al

Old January 6th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

dlevy wrote:
The defrost cable is stuck on my Musketeer. It's just a wire encased in
another spirally wound wire.
Any suggestions?

LPS 1
Old January 7th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

George Patterson writes:

This is designed for motorcycle cables. It should work for your application.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service/cable_luber.htm

But George.... is it TSO'ed?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 8th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Or a product called break Free, if you can find it. Remove the cable from
the sheath and shoot tis stuff inside. It's a foaming penetrating oil that
leaves like a 20 wt oil behind when done.