RCA in for MX20 or other MFDs

Old May 1st 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default RCA in for MX20 or other MFDs

Hi There,

I'm wondering if the MX20 or other MFDs have the capability to output a
signal from a line-in, like a DVD player or what have you.

It would be ideal to have the RCA (the red, white, yellow) inputs on
the front of your panel and just plug in an IPOD video and then
watch/listen to something while you're flying.

If anyone has any experience with this or insight, I'd like to hear
about it.

Thanks,

-dr

Old May 3rd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The Bendix/King KMD 540 MFD has a BNC connector on the rear that accepts
standard composite video input. You can switch the screen back and forth
between the video input and the MFD stuff by pressing a button on the front
panel. For your application, you could bring the BNC connector to the
instrument panel as a yellow RCA jack and the stereo inputs for your
intercom as red and white RCA jacks and you'd be all set.

I personally wouldn't want to give up the continuous display of navigation,
weather, terrain, and traffic info on my MFD and would instead get a
portable DVD player with a built-in screen to watch my videos. You could
hook the audio output of the player into your intercom system. Several
models of portable DVD players have video input so you could use it to
display your iPod video as well.

What I might do with the MFD video input is hook up a tiny wide angle video
camera somewhere on the outside of the plane and be able to confirm gear
down, or perhaps play with an infrared sensitive camera to try to see better
through haze, etc.

Stan

oups.com...

Old May 4th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thats a pretty cool idea Stan -- the camera to check the gear. All
kinds of nifty stuff that one could do.

Thanks for the input!

-dr