Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20?

Old April 8th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

Default Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20?

There's only so much you can learn from other pilots' reports of
cockpit size. A friend flew an original Ventus A happily even though
he was only a few inches shorter than my 6' 3". I couldn't even fit
into a Ventus B. The key was that he was long legs/short torso. Glad
to hear the V2c is much longer. I recall Rick Walters' "headrest"
chute he used in his Discus.

Another very important factor is the parachute; all thinpacks are not
created equal. With my relatively long torso height, I need a chute
that's thin behind the shoulders and thick in the lumbar region. Most
thinpacks seem to be evenly thick or the opposite of what I need. The
Softie Wedge model is one exception and allows me to recline more and
thus gain some headroom. As with the cockpit itself, the only way to
really tell for certain is to try it on.

Finally, with some gliders, you can make changes in the cockpit. Quite
a few pilots removed the backrest from the ASW 19/20 to fly more
comfortably. My own ASW 24 was altered at the factory to delete the
backrest, swap the factory instrument panel for an aftermarket one
with higher knee cutouts, and move the pedals forward a few cm. Much
of this could be done by the owner.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA
Old April 8th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Flewett[_2_]

I am just under 6ft 2" and i fit in a 2a fine. However, i need thin shoes
and a
thin top. But it is worth it if your are racing as the B really isnt that
competitive.

At 00:01 06 April 2012, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Apr 5, 5:15=A0pm, joesimmers wrote:
The 2a is much, much smaller than the asw-20.

The 2b is close size wise but still a bit smaller/less comfortable
than the asw-20.

5'10 and 180 pounds is about maximum for the "a" cockpits. Fitting
requires personal adjustment. Not all the fancy stuff like seat backs
and side vents.

If the goal is racing the "a" is nice, for everyday flying and resale
the "b" is better.

Old April 8th 12, 09:33 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

I'm 5'9" and 220lb and fly a Ventus a with a winch hook. The fit is snug and I have to get quite reclined but am comfy for 4-5 hours at a time.

I've tried Ben's 2a for size and with no winch hook there was a lot more room. I believe the rudder pedals extend further forward in the 2s.

Biggest thing I've found with the 20 (and the 27) is there isn't as much room for my feet if the pedals are run too far forward. Haven't had that problem in any of the Schempp single seaters I've tried

Colin
Old April 9th 12, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
wladkummer76

Hi Ben,

How much winch took removal did increase the Va room? I have one
(SN143) with a snug, barely comfortable fit. Still have to find the
right parachute, though.

Wladimir

schempp-hirth shk-1 shkdriver Soaring 3 September 5th 08 03:38 AM
FS: Schempp-Hirth Discus A Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 19th 06 02:16 PM
Schempp-Hirth Mel Dawson Soaring 0 February 15th 06 04:08 PM
4SALE: Schempp-Hirth Ventus B Pat Russette Soaring 0 September 6th 05 03:24 AM
Schempp Hirth or its Representatives... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 11 September 23rd 03 09:28 AM